Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigiesmom View Post
Luigie age 14 as of Dec 5 2016 Schnauzer med weighs 21 lbs

Diagnosed Sept 1 2016 started 2.5 insulin now up to 15 NPH insulin twice a day using 100 unit needles Have been taking him 3 x a week for vet to check levels Everytime insulin has been increased I have become very worried

He is on a precriptive diet first 6 days on can food but hated it would no eat alone so I added boiled chicken breast fat free, cooked carrots even a little brown rice I give him 4oz 6:30 am 6:30 pm then the shot He generally eats between 2 1/2 & 3oz rarely 4oz but sometimes

He seems disorinented all the time He best behavior was at 10.cc but test were high always over 300/500 range Be going on 3 weeks Tuesday when he goes back at $180 a week I can't afford that and required to pay up front I'm a retired senior on SS He had been diagnosed with pancreitis had an attack last sept, Feb 2016 another in March Had first only seizure May 5 Sept 1 after 2 days of not being aright hind end would fail he went to vet test has diabeties. At one point last Sept it was suspected he had cushings but at no time in visits was he ever tested for that I have read up on all of what he has or supsected to have All seem to be connected I'm afraid insulin or at least this kind is not effective for him Can you offer an opinion if phone call would be better let me know Thank you for your time Mary Luigies mom
HELLO LUIGIS mom

HOW is LUIGI doing??

you can post in the diabetes forum for a reply.

HOPE all is well

MO
Old 09-26-2016, 04:55 PM

Lightbulb Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Name: Duke
Weight: 15 lbs.
Breed: Bishon Frise
Age today: 11 years, 3 month (age when diagnosed: 7 years old)
Insulin: Levemir
Dose: 3.5 units, every 12 hours (am and pm)
Exercise: Two 1/4 to 1/2 mile walks/day
Diet: 1/4 cup wet W/D, 1/4 cup cooked chicken breast, 1 jar Gerbers baby food (strained beef)= 1 meal, two times a day.
Meter: AlphaTrak 2 - home testing
Challenges: Cataracts in both eyes have been surgically replaced (2 years ago). Current diagnosis of either Pancreatitis and/or Hepatitis. On Clavimox and Baytril, added SAMe for liver health. ALT and ASP (liver enzymes are extremely elevated). Has some neuropathy (weakness in hind legs) that started this morning.
Idea: I want a website and app to use and log glucose, food, dates and times delivered and interpretive analysis of the readings. I am willing and able to create something like this - would others find this helpful?
Thank you and appreciate any feedback or help to create comfort and wonderful life for my Duke

Thank you
Old 02-25-2017, 04:16 PM

Buddy
Black Labrador retriever
9.5 years old, 73.4 pounds
Eating Hills W/d 2 cups twice a day
Levemir 3 units every 12 hours
Using ketodiastix for monitoring
Old 02-26-2017, 06:40 AM

HANSEL
(lost BLACK MAGIC in 2010)
Miniature Schnauzer
6 1/2 y.o., 17.3#
Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight - 1/2 cp morn w/banana/Cheerios; 1/2cp nite w/raw carrots/no-salt green beans
Diagnosed 2/1/17, started Vetsulin 4 units 2x/day, increased to 5, then 5.5, now 6 units 2x/day
Using Alphatrak2 and Ketodiastix (dark brown, 2+%, not good)
Alpha tracker results 2/25/17:
7a feed/inject 348
9a 246
12:30p. 332
2:30. 229
4:30. 437?/353
5:30 feed/inject
Lost 1# since diagnosis, take samples at upper lip smeared with Vaseline, tolerates well, concerned with sometimes erratic readings from Alphatrak i.e. yesterday at 2:30p got 229/225 successive readings but at 4:30p got 437/353 so question my technique?

Last edited by bontemp; 02-26-2017 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Add - lost 1# since diagnosis, have trouble with Alphatrak
Old 03-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Jessie, a 15 pounds poodle at 8 years old.
Diagnosed May 2016
Caninsulin...3 units twice a day
Meter...One Touch Verio Flex
Exercise....3 times a day (15-30-15 minutes)
Dog Food....homemade boiled grAss fed chicken, turkey or beef.... changed to 1/2 cup Ruby's Stevie twice daily
Treats ...2 homemade beef jerky
Challenge.....Glucose too spiky...was up to 12 units daily one month ago, now 6 daily and curves still spikes

Last edited by Goaway; 03-24-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Changed diet thanks to this forum
Old 03-23-2017, 05:39 PM

Daisy
Mini Schnauzer
8 yo
21.8 lbs
Diagnosed 1/20/17
Novolin N 5 units every 12 hours
Alphatrak2/ Pet Advocate/ Relion Prime meters
3/4 cup Ruby's Stewbie and some chicken twice daily with injections. I sprinkle about 20mcg chromium picolinate and 1/16 tsp cinnamon on food along with 1/8 tsp cranberry and 1/8 tsp d-mannose.
Relion 26g lancet
Daisy- 8 yo Mini Schnauzer; 21.8 lb; dx 1/20/17; 5 units Novolin N every 12 hours; 1 1/4 cup Ruby's Stewbie and a couple small pieces of chicken every 12 hours; 20mcg chromium picolinate, 1/16 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cranberry/d-mannose sprinkled over each meal.

Last edited by Daisydog10; 06-22-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Taylor Emery is our beautiful 18 pound, 9 year old Jack Russel. We learned just today that she is diabetic. Will take her to our first injection lesson this afternoon. she was on Prednisone for a few years, due to her itching. It helped. But, I have learned it may have also helped her get this disease. Feel guilty. But, will now do the best that we can for her.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:55 PM

Dog's name, breed: Oliver, Polish Lowland Sheepdog (polski owczarek nizinny)
Dog's weight: 50
Diet: 1 Cup CANIDAE Life Stages All Life Stages Formula Dry Dog Food at 6am and 6pm.
Insulin: Vetsulin
Number of units per injection and injections per day: 15 units, 2x a day (with food)
Brand of BG meter if home testing: Alphatrak II

Diagnosed Oct 2016 at age 8.
Regulated to 15 units Vetsulin Jan 2017. Currently (June 2017) back down to 13 units and re testing to see if he should go back up.
Oliver - Polski Owczarek Nizinny (PON, aka Polish Lowland Sheepdog) Weighs 51lbs, Eats Canidae. Stubborn as hell. Love him so. Diagnosed October 2016. Regulated January 2017. Currently on 15 units of Vetsulin twice a day .
Old 06-22-2017, 09:15 AM

Diet: 6 am - Royal Canin Gastrotestinal kibble (1 cup) with a teaspoon of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal canned, 1 teaspoon of pumpkin, herb mixture for elevated liver enzymes and 1 squirt of salmon oil; 6 pm - Royal Canin Gastrointestinal kibble (1 cup) with a teaspoon of canned
Insulin: 17 units Humulin N after meal
Meter: Alpha Track II
Izzy's Mom - 9 years old, 25 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 17 units Novolin N every 12 hours, 1 cup Royal Canin Gastrointestinal kibble in the am and pm, the am kibble is mixed with a bit of pumpkin, salmon oil and herbs (for high liver enzymes); treats limited to a bit of chicken and a regular weight management greenie after meals and insulin