Closed Poll: 2012 insulins used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Poll: 2012 insulins used

I'm intersted to see how much shift there is now in insulin use. Was also just emailing someone on another continent about NPH vs. Caninsulin so thought it would be good to show the many successful users of NPH.
    NPH only
    0%
    NPH and faster acting insulin (R. Novalog, Humalog)
    0%
    NPH and Levemir together
    0%
    Caninsulin / Vetsulin
    0%
    Lantus only
    0%
    Lantus plus faster acting insulin (R, Novalog, Humalog)
    0%
    Levemir only
    0%
    Levemir plus faster acting insulin (R, Novalog, Humalog)
    0%
    Regular insulin only - in honor of Chris and Treu
    0%
    Something not listed above - please reply to share what you use
    0%

Re: POLL: Current insulin information update!

I am in Canada so I use Caninsulin. But, if I am correct, I believe that in the states Caninsulin was branded as Vetinsulin and was pulled some years back. If the bulk of your membership is American this might speak for the use of NPH.

Comment

I too am using canninsulin.
      It appears to be the first line treatment available in UK.

I do worry that from reading posts on here it is not popular with american users, perhaps because of the enforced changes, but as a newbie it does concern me if it isnt the best choice what is?

If there is a best insulin, I do hope it will become known widely.
      Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

Vetsulin was discontinued because of the instability that was found by the FDA.

Caninsulin is the exact same insulin as Vetsulin but used in Countries where the FDA does not reach.

NPH (Humulin N and Novolin N) is used by many diabetic dog owners with great success, it has been found to be a much gentler insulin with only 1 peaking action which makes it easier for most dogs, and owners.

Here are the Intervet letters that went out concerning Vetsulin;

http://vetsulin.com/vet/Vet_ProductAlert.aspx

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I don't think there is a "best" insulin. Dogs all have unique reactions to individual kinds of insulin and what is heaven for one dog can be an intolerable disaster for another. Plus every reaction in between.

There are lots of dogs for whom Caninsulin works by far the best for them. And lots of dogs for whom NPH works by far the best for them. And more and more dogs are trying Levemir with essentially the same response - great for some, awful for others, so-so for many.

Back when Humulin L was around, it didn't work well at all for our dog. But it was the only insulin that worked well for a few dogs I was acquainted with and when it was discontinued, they had to stockpile as much Humulin L as they could get their hands on to keep their dogs' blood sugars regulated.

The rules in the UK are much tighter as far as "off-label" use of medications. So in the UK dogs must be started on insulins approved for animals and cannot be given other kinds of insulins until it has been shown that the approved products don't work for them.

As a result, veterinarians in the UK are generally not at all familiar with NPH-type insulin products.

I don't know whether it was ever determined if there was truly a problem with Caninsulin or whether it was a problem with the testing process - haven't heard a peep about Vetsulin returning to the U.S. in a couple of years.

Either way, it seems that Intervet has not been highly motivated to re-enter the U.S. market. I'm guessing they have enough business in the rest of the world that they may have felt it was more profitable to skip the U.S. market than to satisfy the FDA.

Which is unfortunate. To me, the best thing for diabetic dogs is choices. The more insulin choices available to them, the better.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks Natalie for this. You explained it so well and it does reassure me that in using canninsulin for pippa I am not missing out on something better.

she does seem to be doing very well on it too, 2 months in anyway.

I do agree with you that the more choices available the better, and here in the UK we seem to have little choice without alot of personal legwork. The many vets i have seen with my diabetic cat and dog have never used any insulins apart from canninsulin. This does worry me. Thank goodness this forum is here and I am an "informed" owner- or trying to be
            Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!

Comment

It still amazes me that Monk did so well on Lantus.

Comment

Bumping this up too.

Comment

Alfie doesn't fit into any of the options
                  I guess the closest would be NPH & Levemir but he is Caninsulin and Levemir.....
                  Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Yeah, they limit how many choices I can put up. You should vote on Other - it was made just for you and Alfie.

Natalie

Comment

That's my boy..... always in the "other" category!
                      Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Levemir & Caninsulin.... a work in progress!

Ha ha...love this Allison. A constant work in progress, like my Ali
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

I am sure there is a newer version than this one... will keep looking and/or post a new one. But the historical information is useful.

If you haven't already voted in this poll, please do.

Natalie

Comment

This poll is closed and I will post a new one. But this was the situation in 2012 in terms of dogs on N versus Vetsulin/Caninsulin and other insulins.

Comment

Working...
                            X