Rusty's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty's Story

Let's start at the beginning if I may. Rusty came into my life because he had lived in three previous homes and kept getting returned back to the shelter due to behavior problems...so I was told. Here we are going on 5 years later and he is a very good boy.
    I had no intentions of adopting another dog since I was just getting over the loss of my previous dog Buddy who had cancer and was being treated with chemo to the point of removing his leg.( whole other story).
    Rusty was diagnosed and hospitalized with diabetes about 3 weeks ago for 4 days and now he is home and I am doing all I can to keep his diabetes under control...we have had our ups and downs but so far he seems to be doing well.
    I am giving him 7units of insulin 2x a day and testing his urine 2x a day with a special diet and close monitoring.
    Finding this forum was the best thing that happened because it gives me hope for the future.
    Injections are tough for him and I both but I keep telling myself that it has to be done and so I do it. I love my Rusty Bobba and will do all I can for him for as long as I can.
    Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Re: Rusty's Story

Hello and welcome to you and Rusty! He looks like a very nice boy :-)

Have you thought about learning to do blood tests on Rusty for his glucose? You're going to end up getting a lot more information that way than doing urine tests, regardless of how often you do it.
    Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Hello! I just read your post and know how you feel. My girl Rylie was dx 1/31/15 and it broke my heart. I was so worried and afraid like you. Between the vets at the ER, and our family vet, we kept getting told different ways to take care of Rylie. I was beyond confused.
      I STUMBLED onto this forum and the wonderful Angels who care so much about our dogs and us! I very much understand that my girl does need me more than anyone to keep her feeling healthy, and the folks here are Rylie's life line!
      Read, ask, and try what works here, because they have done it all, everyday, some for many years.
      Three rules I stick to- feed 12 hours apart the same amount at the same times.
      Give shots while eating or just as they finish.
      Monitor BG with blood, not urine.
      There is one more, Relax you will get this!!! They tell me that all the time. Lol. A month ago I wouldnt have thought giving Rylie her shot and testing her blood would ever feel normal. Tonight as I was making our dinner, I realized I also had Rylie's dinner ready with her shot ready to go! I thought to myself, wow, it's become just
      Normal thing to do.
      It's going to get better, promise!
      4 1/2 year old female Rotti, current weight 108 pounds. This week @ 26 units 2x a day, Novolin N, diag. 1/31/15. BG still in the mid 200's + 300's. Still trying to find a good dosage. Blue Healthy Weight 2 1/2 cups 2x's a day. Relion Prime meter

Comment

Originally posted by Cara Sandler View Post
        Hello and welcome to you and Rusty! He looks like a very nice boy :-)

Have you thought about learning to do blood tests on Rusty for his glucose? You're going to end up getting a lot more information that way than doing urine tests, regardless of how often you do it.
        Hello and thanks for welcoming us. I am probably going to have to learn to do blood testing soon but I have only been giving him his insulin injections for about two weeks and it hasn't been easy he is a really good boy but very stubborn at times but he is my baby boy and I love him so much. I hope it gets a little easier with time.
        Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

It DEFINITELY gets easier with time! In fact, at some point it just becomes part of your daily routine, just like eating breakfast or taking a shower. It's overwhelming and scary in the beginning because it's all new. But you do what you have to do to keep your baby alive, and it very quickly just becomes part of your life.
          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Rylie's mom View Post
            Hello! I just read your post and know how you feel. My girl Rylie was dx 1/31/15 and it broke my heart. I was so worried and afraid like you. Between the vets at the ER, and our family vet, we kept getting told different ways to take care of Rylie. I was beyond confused.
            I STUMBLED onto this forum and the wonderful Angels who care so much about our dogs and us! I very much understand that my girl does need me more than anyone to keep her feeling healthy, and the folks here are Rylie's life line!
            Read, ask, and try what works here, because they have done it all, everyday, some for many years.
            Three rules I stick to- feed 12 hours apart the same amount at the same times.
            Give shots while eating or just as they finish.
            Monitor BG with blood, not urine.
            There is one more, Relax you will get this!!! They tell me that all the time. Lol. A month ago I wouldnt have thought giving Rylie her shot and testing her blood would ever feel normal. Tonight as I was making our dinner, I realized I also had Rylie's dinner ready with her shot ready to go! I thought to myself, wow, it's become just
            Normal thing to do.
            It's going to get better, promise!
            I hope I get over my fear and and have the confidence to help my Rusty with this the best way that I possibly can. Confidence in myself being able to do this is what I need.
            Thank you for the support. I find myself watching his every move and can not seem to relax and this is not helping him or me.

Comment

Working...
            X