Buddy Jack Russel Terrier 9 years old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Buddy Jack Russel Terrier 9 years old

When you add in pancreatitis, it does change things. If you find the kibble is too much for both meals and snacks, you can always use something else at snack time. It is trial and error. I wish Buddy would cooperate with testing - it would be easier for you to adjust him. You can probably keep trying to work with him and maybe bribe him to get it done. I think if you just practice getting out the meter and touching it to him without ever testing him, maybe over time he will get better about it.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Buddy is very uncomfortable tonight. Glucose Thursday was really good 126. Friday he did not want to eat the wd but we coached him into eating it. By yesterday he was definitely off. Today he is on chicken and rice as he is obviously not feeling well... I tried my previous diet with him but it seems that either the food works but sugar goes out of control or wd keeps sugar very well regulated but then he gets uncomfortable. So he is groaning and not happy. I read about a turkey brown lentils broccoli green bean split chick pea pumpkin diet that sometimes work. Its high fibre low fat but wondering how that will work with sensitive stomach. So by morning if he does not seem great we will do a vet trip. Vet is trying really to see what is my options with food. Brown rice is not an option for him and broccoli and green beans can work in really small amounts for him. I have looked at recipes here but there is almost always some ingredient that throws him.

Comment

I crock pot 1/2 chicken for Sonny about every 4 - 6 days to add to his W/D. I remove all the skin & visible fat before cooking. Dice some up to mix in his kibble each meal, and sprinkle a nice layer on top to get him started.

This worked great with Otis for his ~3 diabetic years and is working great for Sonny, the rescue Pug. He looks forward to his meals.
        Last edited by farrwf; 02-24-2015, 02:26 PM.
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Hello,

I am just jumping in this thread forgive me, but I did not read all of them just the past few. I too have experience with pancreatitis and not sure where you are at, but it took my dog almost a month to heal. I was told from my vet (at that time) to keep pushing food on my pup, but the fact is that the pancreas will not heal until it rest that is why it is hard to manage diabetes when you have a flare up. If you find your dog is still uncomfortable I would lay off food maybe just a little soft food for nutrition and a little water. Buddy's numbers do not look bad from what I read so I think the pancreatic needs to be addressed fully first. I myself kept pushing food on Miley and she continued to vomited and shake and was just miserable she only started to heal when I finally let nature take its course. Hope Buddy is having a better day!
          Claire

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleD View Post
            either the food works but sugar goes out of control or wd keeps sugar very well regulated but then he gets uncomfortable.
            When you say the sugar's out of control, what numbers are you seeing?
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Sorry people we had a rough few days and I only got on now. Buddy's numbers are normally at the highest lately 126 - 159 depending on whats going on. He jumped to 489 suddenly and we are very suspicious that it is higher at the moment. Now I know we can put him through a round of testing but little guy had a rough few days. He is officially allergic to something in wd and the high fiber did not help. So he did not want to eat Monday and he was in obvious pain and discomfort. He was so sensitive even the shots were painful and his belly was so bloated. Yesterday I got him to eat a bit of id stew but not a lot. He setttled a bit last night. We don't know at this stage what the food is going to be as we are wondering less or more fiber and if he tolerates fiber etc. The plan is to feed him small meals of id until his system calms down and in the meantime the vet is going to get hold of a nutritional expert to look at his file to see if we can find a midway. We first have to address this issue and then diabetes as second issue. We sat and looked at all meals homecooked and commercial diets and not one is really ideal but we are prepared to settle for less than perfect as long as he does well with it. We will do spot checks once he calmed down. Not ideal I know.

Comment

Sorry people we had a rough few days and I only got on now. Buddy's numbers are normally at the highest lately 126 - 159 depending on whats going on. He jumped to 489 suddenly and we are very suspicious that it is higher at the moment. Now I know we can put him through a round of testing but little guy had a rough few days. He is officially allergic to something in wd and the high fiber did not help. So he did not want to eat Monday and he was in obvious pain and discomfort. He was so sensitive even the shots were painful and his belly was so bloated. Yesterday I got him to eat a bit of id stew but not a lot. He setttled a bit last night. We don't know at this stage what the food is going to be as we are wondering less or more fiber and if he tolerates fiber etc. The plan is to feed him small meals of id until his system calms down and in the meantime the vet is going to get hold of a nutritional expert to look at his file to see if we can find a midway. We first have to address this issue and then diabetes as second issue. We sat and looked at all meals homecooked and commercial diets and not one is really ideal but we are prepared to settle for less than perfect as long as he does well with it. We will do spot checks once he calmed down. Not ideal I know.
                If Buddy has pancreatitis it is very painful and food, all food will irritate him. When Miley had it she shook 24 hours a day from the pain. I agree deal with this first! I would lay off food for a day or two then introduce small amounts of soft food, we used baby food to start stage 2 nothing chunky and all natural.

Comment

Maggie went through pancreatitis several times with flare ups. She refused prescription wd and Id and all other prescription diabetic foods and many premium brands as well. Through all the changes and trial and error with food, we found she greatly improved when potatoes and rice were eliminated from her diet. We went with Nutrisca because she likes it and will eat it willingly. My vet was concerned about the fat % but she never had another problem and she has been pretty stable except for times when she is very anxious and has kind of willed herself into illness. Sometimes, I think they don't always go by the "book" - you just have to find the formula that works.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

So true everybody. He looks more alert today and I have been feeding bits of id. I found a lady where chana dal beans with some other ingredients is her dog's staple diet after pancreatitis. If you look at the recipe everything is low glycemic and excellent fiber. Im very interested in this. So once we can establish that fiber is safe for him I want to give this a go. Her dog is stable for 6 years now and with this diet she is able to feed smaller frequent meals without raising his glucose too high. Has anybody heard about chana dal beans?

Comment

Just an update on the food with the chana dal beans. So its something to cook and measure out to exact amounts but that is not too big of a deal if you have the food scale and small mason jars. I started introducing this to Buddy over the past two days and he loves it. It solves a big problem where he needs smaller frequent meals. It is very low in glucose and its above average in fiber but it seems not to irritate his gut at all. He dances around when it is food time. Also where I used to feed four little meals I can manage him now on three smaller meals but without him begging for food all the time. His glucose seems good on urine test strips but I know that is not accurate enough. Im taking him in for a curve hopefully by Wednesday. But the big thing is my pup is dancing and playing around as if he is a 1 year old. If I can confirm all this information with his blood tests I will be happy to post the recipe for other people that want to try it.

Comment

sounds positive . even if blood sugar is not that great you should be able to figure that out overtime

i introduced pinto and black beans to jesse awhile ago and i think it makes her feel more full and satisfied
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

He dances around when it is food time.
                          That's great, ... what all of us diabetic pooch moms and dads love to see!

Comment

Hi there!
                            I've been reading your thread, but I never thought I had anything useful to write. I just want to congratulate you on finding food that makes Buddy feel better
                            Makes me smile to imagine him running around and dancing like a puppy again!! Nicely done!!
                            Bazzle - My sweet German Shepherd Chow Chow boy, born approximately 6/7/2002, adopted 8/7/2002, diagnosed with diabetes 12/28/2012, lived happy and healthy on Novilin 70/30 and Hill's Science Diet WD... Continued his journey into the next life on 5/15/2016. I miss you baby boy; you'll stay in my heart forever.

Comment

Michelle D

Question about Chana Dal I have been using these in a homemade recipe for my dog but I have noticed when he has a bowel movement ( have to check for mucus) the chana dal has not been processed by him, it looks just like it did in the bag before I cooked it, so any help would be greatly appreciated whether or I should keep feeding him these. Thanks so much for any feed back.

Comment

I make Ruby's Stewbie for Daisy with Chana Dal. It comes out the same way..... but her bg levels started coming down the first couple days she started eating it. We still have our days now and then but for the most part, she's doing really well.

One thing a little different that I do is crush 1 Centrum vitamin (on the advice of a vet who approved of the diet) and mix it into 4 cups of cooled Stewbie right before I throw it in the freezer. Daisy eats about 3/4 to almost 1c twice daily.

I tried different different diets and this one works well for her. Chana Dal and all!
                                Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Working...
                                X