Insulin doses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Insulin doses

Thanks for posting this comparison Natalie, I knew it was here somewhere ;-)

I encourage everyone to blood test, whether it be with a human meter or an animal validated meter (Alpha Trak).

Because I use both Humalog and NPH now I need my readings to be as accurate as possible as a difference in 30-50 points can be a deciding factor in changing Mildred's Humalog dose.

Before I was making such specific dosing decisions and using only NPH I was satisfied with a human meter.

I knew my Contour wasn't good, I can certainly see why now by looking at this study.

Eileen/Mil

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I could make the same adjustments with my OneTouch. It was that consistent and reliable.

FYI for all, that information is posted in the Answers forum: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

The Answers forum is a very helpful place as it is organized by subject matter. So if you have a question about meters, for example, it's a good place to start as there is a section devoted to home testing blood glucose.

Natalie

Comment

Tracy, Woody, 90#, 10 y o Lab mix was diagnosed in early December. I have been increasing her dosage very slowly and we are now at 30U in AM and 31 in the PM. We started at 15U. Her numbers are just turning the corner. Her 14 day average is in the low 300's so we are getting close. She still has occasional spikes up into the high 400's.
        I raised the dosage no more then 1/2U about every 4 or 5 days. There was a 3 day stretch this week where all BG readings were between 150 and 300. My vet and I are happy with those numbers. I don't think I need to go any higher.

Just guessing but I think when I get her on a higher fiber diet ( she is a super fussy eater ) we have reached our magic number.

Comment

Hi Bolita is 10 Kg 18 year old white dog. She has had diabetes for over 3 years now. So i think its been going pretty OK apart from some occasional spikes. However she now recovered from a Mastitis Absces, she had fever and a ball of puss the size of a tennis ball for nearly a week. Anyways she recoverd from it, but while sick she was giving me a hard time feeding her, and here sugar levels where very high around 400-500.

Her normal inslulin units are 14 @ 13:00 Lunch Time and 14 @ 20:00 Dinner. However i change this according to here readings.

To take her down from the high levels when sick i gave her occasional small shots. Normally i never do this, only when above 500. Thing is her Absces has cured perfectly now. But i cant her sugar levels back to normal. Im increasing the dose to 16-17 units. But shes waking up with 500-600 and mid it has hardly dropped after the shot she gets down to aprox 380-500. Im afraid to give her more insulin as i have been reading about Somogy Effect and been thinking this could be the cause of her high readings. Its been about 3 weeks in Total scine she was sick. Also the last few days she is having problems standing up, her back legs have been injured by the high sugars i gues, when i finally help her up shes walking around for a bit a moving her tail, but not really as strong as happy as she usually behaves.

I would like to knwo more about MAx Insluin Doeses - shes 10 KG and also about Somogy and how you can differentiate it from Insulin Resistance.

Comment

My dog is 11 year old Samoyed, 66lbs. He was just diagnosed 4 weeks ago. After multiple trips to the vet to have his blood glucose drawn, I purchased a Bayer Contour meter and am testing him right before his am and pm dose.
            I have always 'free fed' my dogs, but now have put this one on a schedule for more consistency. His blood glucose has been has high as 697 and is still running in the 400's. I am currently at 25 units twice a day. I have been really frustrated with his readings, I thought he would come down by now. I keep thinking I am not giving the Insulin correctly, but have researched it throughly and after reading all the other posts, I see that I am not alone. I am just wondering if I should switch to a diabetic dog food. He currently gets Pedigree Weight Maintenance Dry and to get him to eat when I need him to, I mix a little bit of "Eggbeaters" in with the dry and he wolfs it right down. He also loves his "Milk Bones" so I have purchased some diabetic ones, though they haven't arrived yet. I'm sorry to hear that people have had problems with their vet. I love mine, he has been very helpful. And he didn't charge me for 3 out of 7 blood glucose tests, which at $47 a piece, was pretty nice. I'm not sure why they charge so much as I think they use a meter as well. I read somewhere that I can keep increasing his dose but not sure what max is, other than I read if they are up to 1 unit per lb. they are considered Insulin resistant. I don't know if that is per dose or per day. Does anyone know the answer to this? Any suggestions regarding diabetic dog food?

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure6 View Post
              My dog is 11 year old Samoyed, 66lbs. He was just diagnosed 4 weeks ago. After multiple trips to the vet to have his blood glucose drawn, I purchased a Bayer Contour meter and am testing him right before his am and pm dose.
              I have always 'free fed' my dogs, but now have put this one on a schedule for more consistency. His blood glucose has been has high as 697 and is still running in the 400's. I am currently at 25 units twice a day. I have been really frustrated with his readings, I thought he would come down by now. I keep thinking I am not giving the Insulin correctly, but have researched it throughly and after reading all the other posts, I see that I am not alone. I am just wondering if I should switch to a diabetic dog food. He currently gets Pedigree Weight Maintenance Dry and to get him to eat when I need him to, I mix a little bit of "Eggbeaters" in with the dry and he wolfs it right down. He also loves his "Milk Bones" so I have purchased some diabetic ones, though kthey haven't arrived yet. I'm sorry to hear that people have had problems with their vet. I love mine, he has been very helpful. And he didn't charge me for 3 out of 7 blood glucose tests, which at $47 a piece, was pretty nice. I'm not sure why they charge so much as I think they use a meter as well. I read somewhere that I can keep increasing his dose but not sure what max is, other than I read if they are up to 1 unit per lb. they are considered Insulin resistant. I don't know if that is per dose or per day. Does anyone know the answer to this? Any suggestions regarding diabetic dog food?
              So sorry, it looks like your post got lost yesterday and no responses. I would recommend starting your own thread and putting something like "really high BGs" in the title.

To start, do you have any recent curve results. Those are key and should be run before any increases are done. A curve is blood testing right before insulin and food and then testing every two hrs. until right before the evening meal.

If no curve has been done ever or recently....you're dog may be getting too much insulin. Do you know about Symogi rebound?

So, if you could tell us more about your guy in the way of curve numbers that would be helpful. If no curve numbers, I would do one asap. If at any point you see a low reading ....below 100.... probably best to reduce the dose.

Diet consistency is key especially when running a curve, but diabetics flourish with diet consistency.
              Tara in honor of Ruby.
              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum. I started a new thread for you (TREASURE6-HIGH BGs) so that we can keep your info straight. I'm sure others will welcome you soon.

Craig
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

We have a mini Pin named Mickey that weighs 12 lbs and has diabetes . He is taking 15 units twice a day. I never change what I feed him . I have him on a high fiber food and give him wet food twice a day. I do not know what to do. He will go along fine for about a month then he is back to drinking a lot of water and wetting every where. Any ideas how to get him under control?
                  kcdelight419

Comment

Every dog is different it doesn't always depend on the weight. Murphy weighs 62 lbs a lot less than yours, but is getting 24 units twice a day. He has been diabetic for almost 2 years now and I still have trouble with his regulation so be prepared for the long haul, 2 mos is a very short time for regulation. And even when you think they are regulated it changes in an instant and his dose needs to be adjusted. Good luck!

Comment

the dose that you are giving is extremely high for a 12 pound dog . it is possible you pup is receiving to much insulin and thats possibly why you are seeing this up and down with symptoms

and overdose situation can cause high blood sugar as well as low
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Working...
                      X