Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Glucose above 400 - Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMurphy View Post
Right. Stay on the current dose for 5 to 7 days and then do a 12 hour curve. She’ll need that amount of time for her body to adjust. Some dogs can take even longer to adjust. You don’t want to go past her proper dose. This can cause rebound(big swings in blood glucose). Getting Elee close to being regulated is more of a marathon than a sprint. It takes a lot of patience

It’s ok to test a couple times a day, maybe at fasting, before her next curve.

Thanks jesse girl. You and I were both typing at the same time
Hi, I have a little different issue and wonder how others would handle this: I accidentally closed Suzie in the room where I found her near the open bag of cat food. And of course, her BG spiked to 495 @ 12 am and in AM 565. Because the BG (using Vetsulin) tends to increase at around 1:30-2am and then reduces somewhat by AM, would you all allow nature to take its course OR knowing that by 1-2 am the glucose spikes even more...Does anyone intervene with a touch of R? I do not keep R but worried that had her BG reached 600+, should I have had R available to counteract the spike?However, i would not know how much to give in that situation. Also, with all of the concerns over vast BG changes expressed, I found some studie/articles that examines the variables that can influence the BG in humans,e.g..the need for a "normal" hematocrit, brain size is greater in children having greater glucose concentration that may lead to hypoglycemia in capillary blood. I could not find info on a dog that suggests the best perfusion site to test the BG. I use the front upper foot pad that is getting "tough" and the not often, the because she hates it. I can't imagine her tolerating the inner lip...Have a great day everyone!!! P.S...Interesting!!!
Canine Diabetes Mellitus
Richard W. Nelson, in Canine and Feline Endocrinology (Fourth Edition), 2015
Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems

Last edited by bichons9; 08-27-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:54 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichons9 View Post
Hi, I have a little different issue and wonder how others would handle this: I accidentally closed Suzie in the room where I found her near the open bag of cat food. And of course, her BG spiked to 495 @ 12 am and in AM 565. Because the BG (using Vetsulin) tends to increase at around 1:30-2am and then reduces somewhat by AM, would you all allow nature to take its course OR knowing that by 1-2 am the glucose spikes even more...Does anyone intervene with a touch of R? I do not keep R but worried that had her BG reached 600+, should I have had R available to counteract the spike?However, i would not know how much to give in that situation. Also, with all of the concerns over vast BG changes expressed, I found some studie/articles that examines the variables that can influence the BG in humans,e.g..the need for a "normal" hematocrit, brain size is greater in children having greater glucose concentration that may lead to hypoglycemia in capillary blood. I could not find info on a dog that suggests the best perfusion site to test the BG. I use the front upper foot pad that is getting "tough" and the not often, the because she hates it. I can't imagine her tolerating the inner lip...Have a great day everyone!!! P.S...Interesting!!!
Canine Diabetes Mellitus
Richard W. Nelson, in Canine and Feline Endocrinology (Fourth Edition), 2015
Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems
You cant be sure how the body will react when insulin starts working at a higher range over lower . My jesse is quite different at a higher range over lower and she usually drops but if lower she usually rises . Since you have no real experience with r and how your dog will react i might just leave things alone . Just have plenty of water to drink if necessary
jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 8 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 PM

sorry for typos folks, tired, need to go to bed...

This is just a follow up post in case anyone tracks this thread and could use a conclusion/closure as to how things progressed after 3 months/90 days post diabetes diagnosis.

In a nutshell, Elee's doing pretty well on 15 units immediate post breakfast (~9:30 am) and the same post dinner (~9:30 PM). Using Novolin N and I found the cheapest tester and test strips at Walgreens, it's their generic brand and the strips are ~$15 for 50 strips, by far the least expensive. I compared it with the alpha track 2 and 12 out of 14 readings were 13% to 15% lower, so that if alpha track 2 had a reading of 100, the walgreens meter had a readying of 85 to 88. The percentage difference also held for readings around 400.

For me and Elee, we went pretty aggressive and increasing the dosage, and it took at least 3 weeks at 15 units to feel comfortable with that dose (we tried as high as 17 for a couple days but levels got in the high 40s so i quickly gave some syrup on a bone and then the levels rocketed about 200 in less than 30 minutes). Our aggressive approach was used because acidosis was a really threat, and I work from home so I'm around her 24/7/365, so I could reduce the risk of hypoglycemia.

To reiterate what other threads point out, it was key for use to establish a consistent diet, BOTH quantity and ingredients. Reducing kibble to less than 20% of weight also has a big effect (50 to 100 points). We're able to have a handful midday snack (lean, grilled steak and/or hamburger drained of fat using a spageti strainer).

She will occasional have a reading in the high 300's, and sometimes it correlates back to new treat being introduced or sometimes it seems to be related to her just not feeling 100%, but most of the time she's now between 80 and 200 (using 15 units of Novolin N from walmart). I didn't bother will uploading the data again because numbers were all over the place until we finally started settling in at 15 units for at least 5 days straight. One last, maybe important note. We stopped swimning in the lake for the summer, and that may have also greatly helped because I think the bacteria and algea in the lake was degrading her immune system and she had cronic UTI's. She has been in the lake for months and no UTI, no infection, no more signs of acidosis. If you have a swimmer, you probably want to stop the swimming until you can get on a good/steady dosage.

The long game is definitely the way to approach this. Thanks everyone. Hopefully this is helpful/useful to others.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Elee is about 11 or 12, ~50 lbs, lab/collie mix, female and still very much full of energy

Last edited by ro-ray; 11-05-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 06:57 AM
Founding Member

Well that is wonderful news

Yeah swimming in a lake could be problematic . I try not to let dogs lick jesses back end

Jesse problems sometimes starts with the ears . She will start shaking here head and itch them and i see her numbers go up . Once the problem is gone the numbers go back down

The UTIs may have been the problem all along with regulation

sometimes you have to be aggressive with regulation and fortunate you were able to be at home to monitor and find the right dose
jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 8 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 11-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Wonderful news!!! And thank you for letting us know.

Natalie
Old 12-06-2018, 08:13 PM

We dealt with many swings in Sabre's BG level. There are so many variables.
When we thought we had things figured out, suddenly they could change due to illness, recent shots from the vet, and who knows what else.
We recently lost Sabre to a Mast Cell Tumor after he had gone almost completely blind from cataracts due to the diabetes. He made it just past his 13th birthday.
I would recommend that anyone dealing with diabetes in their dog use only Alpha Trak meter and strips. They are specifically designed for your dog or cat.
We started with a Walmart meter and they don't accurately measure pet's BG level.
We have a lot of experience with wild swings in glucose level, I will be happy to share with anyone interested.