Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perhaps just a chat - tell us how you and your dog are doing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perhaps just a chat - tell us how you and your dog are doing!

Hi,

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't get any new dogs. Sugar, my tri-paw, who lost his right front leg to cancer almost 4 years ago, will soon be 14. He does very well and doesn't look his age. Hank will turn 13 in July and has a bad back hip. He hobbles around almost as much as Sugar.

Both are American Eskimo dogs and will probably be the last ones I have. Over my 68 years I've had dozens of dogs, so it will be strange when the 'boys' are gone.

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
      Hey all!

Finished two rounds of clicker training class and one round of agility.

Tami
      Hey Tami,

Pre congrats on the new add. Will look forward to hearing all about him.

"Clicker Training" <-- Sure you weren't a nun at Blessed Sacrament Parochial School in another life?? ... Sister Bernadette, maybe???
      Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by momofdecker View Post
        He seems to have worked out a deal with Kinser where every single meal Kinser will leave him one kibble of food to eat after he has finished his dish - it's a strange but funny situation to watch.

Toby, Kinser and the human kid had their picture taken with the Easter Bunny back in March:

One (1) kibble for Junior??? Those canine codgers are a scream!!
        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Riliey is doing great. Almost 16 years old, 4 years diabetic.

He,s such a strong independent cockapoo probably cause one thing I broke my hip 2 years ago spent 12 days in hospital needed surgery. Neighbours came in 4 x day fed , insulin took this blind dog for walks. He didn't recognize me when I got home. Took abit to get him back to soooo normal.

He had surgery in 2000 lumpectomy, was given steroid which shut down his pancreas cells giving him diabetes, surgery again in 2016 to remove all his teeth. Vet didnt tell me his teeth were bad what a trooper.

He goes out in our large back yard 3 x day no mores walks, I,m not well enough for the extras, but I,m okay

Continuous same time food, toppers, insulin same amount same time. Keeps him healthy, not many curves just spot checks.

I,m very proud of Riley being so independent, healthy, he,s a very funny happy companion with dementia. No pain killers so far.

Neighbours ask why I let him walk in circles, he needs to bring his blood sugar down without getting walked.

Riles gets through the snow at minus 40 degrees and also gets through heat waves at 30 plus degrees.

I don't post but I wanted to tell the world how proud I am of him. He is a remarkable strong dog trucking along without too much help from me.

Blind no eye drops, takes Bausch and laumb refresh for allergies once in a while. He,s amazing. Still let's me know when theirs bad air he ducks his head sniffs the air out switches from his two beds.

We adjust the air quality in the house and schedule going outside when its too hot or cold. I have asthma he helps me with my triggers such a strong dog. were just trudging along keeping life simple

Of course I still have my 95 yr young mother taken care of by support workers. I should live this long lol

Any body new at dog diabetes continuous patients exercise, the right amount of a good quality food works meeting up with insulin dose according to weight.

mo and riley
          Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Yesterday was a very hard day. We had to let our 11 year old chocolate girl Jazzy go. She was in congestive heart failure, and went down hill very quickly. Jake was very close to her. With him being blind, she would go out the door first and he would follow her. He seemed very confused yesterday and I could tell he was trying to find her. It's scary how things can change in a heartbeat. I wrote on this post earlier on how she was comfortable and doing ok. Hug your loved ones often.

Jake
            13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
            At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Aw, Linda, I'm so sorry to learn about Jazzy's passing. I have seen a few chocolate labs with heart failure... is it something the breed is prone to?

Chris knew what "all gone" was in relation to food, etc. So when a kitty passed away, we used to tell him that they were all gone. I don't know if he understood or not but it seemed like he did - he was a very wise dog always.

Sending a hug to Jake,

Natalie

Comment

It can be very quick linda . They live such short lives compared to us . hope jake can find another way . they usually do .

its all about the hugs and kisses
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Maggie seems to be having a hard time. Every time I think this is it, she makes a comeback. Her sugar is pretty unstable - some crazy lows. Tiny adjustments send her into a tailspin so I have to have restraint with her meds and everything.

Mya is getting older and her heart murmur is worse. We started her on enalipril. She is very happy to have a new playmate with Zoe and I think she has revitalized Mya some with her energy and playfulness.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Linda, I'm so sorry to read about Jazzy! We lost our youngest cat, Calli, last summer to congestive heart failure...it does happen very fast. Give Jake an extra scratch from us (Vinny says 'extra treat').
                    Sending love and prayers your way,
                    Mel and Vinny
                    Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

Rusty went to vet yesterday and is still doing really well.
                      We are both looking forward to the nice weather ahead so we can be outdoors more.
                      Rusty 28lb male mixed breed. 7 1/2 units Humulin N 2x a day,Purina EN Fiber Balance, string beans and 2 cubes of chicken breast as a treat after injection. Afternoon snack of his kibble,string beans and a cube of chicken breast. AlphaTrak 2. Diagnosed with diabetes March 2015.

Comment

Took me a while to read through but love hearing all the updates. I've been absent for quite some time. Still have a heart for every pup I meet but still am not ready or settled enough to have another since Ali.

Saw a dog that was brindle in coloring with structure of a golden on a golden retriever adoption page that tugged at my heartstrings today and brought me here.

I have some travel coming up to visit family and Tim is transitioning jobs but in the same area so we don't have to move this time (very thankful). Will keep checking in as this site is close to my heart.

Hang in there through the struggles, my diabetic friends, and rejoice with every moment that brings joy and ease. The seasons of life change before you know it. I miss my Ali-girl always, but elapsed time makes me smile for the "season"/bond we had together.

You know, all the food balancing issues we had and the measuring, trying this or that, etc has made me a "healthy foodie." Right now I'm enjoying cooking and creating recipes... but, loving the challenge of turning not-so-great-for-you foods into healthy foods that actually taste great. I think Ali did that for me. It's funny how much she influenced the choices I've made now.

Love to all!
                        Patty
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hello!

Mr Shadow had a busy part of his day while busy barking at the thunder. It does get scary at times and today was one of those loud storms! We were so proud of him when he walked in the wet grass with no fear and did his business, he made me proud...There is an added prescription for his anxiety (Prozac for dogs) and it is to help with the lick granuloma he has on both front legs. We are on day 3 and he continues to lick non stop!
                          Mr. Shadow 11 year old mix breed, 21 lbs. , diabetes diagnosis Sept. 2015. Currently on 10 units Novolin N

Comment

Working...
                          X