Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Pretty Prissy Girl

Hi everyone,

I need help with Prissy. Since I posted last, way back in December of 2014, Prissy has been doing fine. I have been making homemade meals for her that she got every 12 hours and she got 6 u of Vetsulin every 12 hours.

May 30th, my husband and I left on a little anniversary getaway leaving my sons in charge. Everything was pre-measured, meals and insulin, just like last year when we also went on a 4 day getaway.

Thursday around 5:40 pm, my son called me and said Prissy was having trouble walking. I directed them to drive her to the vets (which was closing at 6). They got there right before 6. The vet tested her bg which was in the 30s, gave her something to get her sugar level up, and sent them over to the Pet Hospital. Her bg was 36. They kept her overnight and gave her an IV.

She was released in the morning at 8 am and her bg at the time was @ 110. She was to have no insulin for 24 hours. I called the vet later yesterday afternoon and told them that I would take her bg level Saturday morning and call in for further instructions. Well, I couldn't get it done before they closed, because I was having a tough time getting enough blood.

Since then I have been doing blood levels every two hours using the Relion Prime meter and test strips:

11:55 - 442 (divided by .7) = 631.4

12:00 - boiled chicken, rolled oats, small amount of milk, small amount chicken broth & boiled pumpkin

2:00 - 488 (divided by .7) = 697.14

4:10 - 453 (divided by .7) = 647.14

6:00 - 411 (divided by .7) =587.14

I plan on feeding her around 10 or 11 pm. What dose of Vetsulin do you think I should give her? 1.5? She is not eating quite the amount of food that she had been a week or so ago, maybe 80% of it.

Thanks for any help!!!
    Last edited by Elodie; 06-04-2016, 08:07 PM. Reason: numbers were X, instead of divided by .7!!, added 6 PM reading
    Prissy, born October 2004, min pin, diagnosed 10.8.2014

Comment

The lower trend may have been a result of you not being there and the anxiety that may have caused

also there may have been an injection into muscle or that 1 in a thousand shot into a blood vessel

i think with the higher numbers you maybe able to give a normal dose but a 10 to 25 percent reduction maybe prudent with a drop in appetite and maybe a change in trend . of coarse less if less food is consumed

your probably going to have to test a bit more to identify what direction to go

gould catch by your son and contacting you . might want to remind him he can administer liquid sugar like honey or karo at home without delay . he does know what low blood sugar looks like now

glad miss prissy is ok
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I tested her at 10:00 pm and it was 463. (divided by .7) = 661.42

Prissy would only eat about 1/3 cup of her food and I had to sprinkle parmesan cheese on it to get her to eat it. (10:25) I gave her 2 units of vetsulin at 10:30.

I am really worried that she is not eating more.

Jesse girl, we have never had any problems with Prissy having low blood sugar, so I didn't even think about karo syrup/honey. In October it will be 2 years and this is the first problem she's had. I'm so glad my son saw she was having a problem!
        Last edited by Elodie; 06-04-2016, 08:09 PM.

Comment

we do get concerned with a change in appetite all of a sudden

the higher sugar maybe causing it

it really can throw things out of whack with a low blood sugar event with a substantial reduction in the dose after or not giving any at all leading to higher sugar

Its not uncommon to see problems with pups leaving them . it just shows how much blood sugar is involved with all parts of the body and emotions

most times things settle back into a routine in a few days but if appetite continues to be a problem you might want to get a check up. if other symptoms pop up you may want to move earlier on that check up

hope miss prissy gets that appetite back soon
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Thanks, Jesse Girl!!! This is so scary and frustrating after almost 2 years of no problems. I just want to help her the best I can.

Comment

I tested Prissy at 12:30 am. 287 (divided by .7) = 410

(This is with her eating 1/3 cup of food at 10:25 and 2 units of Vetsulin at 10:30 pm.)

I'm going to test her around 10 am, feed her & give her 3 or 4 units of Vetsulin depending on how much she eats. Does that sound ok?

Comment

that sounds reasonable . you haven't seen any noticeable dent in blood sugar

Comment

Personally I would be very leery of point adding or subtracting with the numbers seen by any in-use meter.
                  That could present a danger, in my opinion as it is my experience that the points can vary depending upon the glucose range.
                  To use a set '.7 ' denominator could have you mis dosing/treating.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

At 9 am she tested at 212 (divided by .7) = 302.85

9:15 - 9:30 - 1/3 cup chicken, rolled oats, pumpkin, parmesan cheese, milk

9:30 - 2.5 units Vetsulin

9:45 - 1/2 of a 3 inch Whimzee (potato starch dental chew)

I'm going to try her with Brown rice and chicken next meal to see if she will eat more.

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
                      Personally I would be very leery of point adding or subtracting with the numbers seen by any in-use meter.
                      That could present a danger, in my opinion as it is my experience that the points can vary depending upon the glucose range.
                      To use a set '.7 ' denominator could have you mis dosing/treating.
                      I am doing what CraigM recommended in post #9 of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Elodie View Post
                        I am doing what CraigM recommended in post #9 of this thread.
                        We all have our own procedures

Craig
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

11:30 - 155 - (divided by .7) = 221.42

1:15 - 1/4 small walnut

1:30 - 68 (divided by .7) = 97.14

I am going to test her in an hour since her bg is going lower, or should I do it sooner?

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                            We all have our own procedures

Craig
                            I appreciate your help, Craig. I am posting both readings so people can see what I am doing. I'm finally able to get blood from her ear and do the testing. I wasn't able to a year and a half ago.

Comment

With a low end 68 I would be giving mine a snack to bring the sugar level up and with retesting in about 30 minutes to make sure it is trending up.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Originally posted by eileen View Post
                                With a low end 68 I would be giving mine a snack to bring the sugar level up and with retesting in about 30 minutes to make sure it is trending up.
                                Will do. Thank you! What kind of snack do you think would be good?

Comment

Working...
                                X