My Baby Boy Greyson!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: scared to death (Greyson)

Kumbi is a great eater; still, my vet said to wait 30 minutes after the meal before injecting, so that's what we do! It's another common way to time injections. Probably has to do with two elements - how fast the food digests (and starts being absorbed), and whether the dog unexpectedly vomits after eating, which can easily occur half an hour afterwards, but most commonly a bit sooner afterwards, so waiting 30 minutes is a good safeguard against the dog losing the food - when s/he's been shor with insulin!

That Greyson is a real cutie!

Sat, 27 Jun 2009 06:21:24 (PDT)
    http://www.coherentdog.org/
    CarolW

Comment

Personally never had any problems with giving Lucky his insulin directly after eating. The big thing here with when you give insulin injections is to know your dog.

In my case, I knew it was rare for Lucky not to eat and finish everything; he was also not one to throw up. On the other hand, I knew someone who honestly had to give the shot before the meal to get her dog to eat. Again, this was a case of the lady really knowing her dog and knowing that this is what was necessary, that she would finish the food and not vomit after that.

You can influence the timing of insulin and food by the time you give the insulin. For some dogs, giving it ahead of time is the right way to go and for others, letting the food get a head start and waiting a bit it what works for them.

If you are new to this, it might be that waiting the half hour after a meal and then giving the shot might be the best answer for you. After you're not so new and perhaps you see that he/she doesn't tend to vomit and possibly that there's quite a post-meal spike in bg's as you go along with your bg testing, you can then go to giving the insulin directly after the meal. Would say that when you're just starting out to give the shot as your vet directed.

Kathy

Comment

When Mildred was first diagnosed I was instructed to give the insulin 30 minutes after the meal. the reasons being to make sure she has eaten all of her food as well as not vomitted. I have since learned that the timing of the insulin can be used to prolong the onset and have used this at times to my advantage. Eileen

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I feed 1/2 of what my dog gets to make sure she eats usually about 15-30 minutes before (but I would say always closer to 15 minutes) she gets her insulin shot and other 1/2 of food. My dog has no problems eating though but I like to take a bg test as my dog has been a little tricky to regulate as much as I'd like and have been giving an amount of insulin based on that result (usually higher than I'd like). I think it's just best to find what works best for you but my vet did suggest feeding 1/2 before I gave the shot originally for me as well.

Comment

thanks everyone for your input. i can't say enough how grateful i am to have found you guys.

just a side note, i talked to my vet today just to give her an update and she gave me her home and cell phone numbers in case i needed her for anything this weekend. i thought that was very thoughtful. i haven't had the best luck with vets and i've definately found a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by brittanyt View Post
              thanks everyone for your input. i can't say enough how grateful i am to have found you guys.

just a side note, i talked to my vet today just to give her an update and she gave me her home and cell phone numbers in case i needed her for anything this weekend. i thought that was very thoughtful. i haven't had the best luck with vets and i've definately found a keeper.
              Hi there,
              Just to say hallo My name is Margaret from Scotland and my dog is Lucy a Miniature Schnauzer.

Just to say I feed Lucy and give her her injection about 15 to 20 minutes later
              she is a great eater and very seldom vomits..I still prefer to wait a short time.
              Everyone knows there own dog and their feeding habits but that does not mean they will not have an off day best to play on the side of caution, but this is my own personal opinion. I would not impose this on anyone else no two dogs are the same (as Natalie states ) you can have a great day with BG's then an absolute stinker but I think this is part and parcel of diabetes.

You are doing well and it will get easier I promise you, we were all the same to start with. You will do just fine.

Kind Regards
              Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

hi margaret thanks for the input. 15 - 20 minutes is what i did this morning. he used to be a free grazer so this is all new to him but he seems to be doing well eating everything so far (knock on wood!) the only thing is i either have to mix the dry with canned, or do as i did last night and warmed up a small can of baby food and coated the kibbles. i gave him baby squash and he loved it. [he got pretty bad gas, though]

i can handle that though. whatever will get him to eat!

Originally posted by Margaret Boyle View Post
                Hi there,
                Just to say hallo My name is Margaret from Scotland and my dog is Lucy a Miniature Schnauzer.

Just to say I feed Lucy and give her her injection about 15 to 20 minutes later
                she is a great eater and very seldom vomits..I still prefer to wait a short time.
                Everyone knows there own dog and their feeding habits but that does not mean they will not have an off day best to play on the side of caution, but this is my own personal opinion. I would not impose this on anyone else no two dogs are the same (as Natalie states ) you can have a great day with BG's then an absolute stinker but I think this is part and parcel of diabetes.

You are doing well and it will get easier I promise you, we were all the same to start with. You will do just fine.

Kind Regards

Comment

hi margaret thanks for the input. 15 - 20 minutes is what i did this morning. he used to be a free grazer so this is all new to him but he seems to be doing well eating everything so far (knock on wood!) the only thing is i either have to mix the dry with canned, or do as i did last night and warmed up a small can of baby food and coated the kibbles. i gave him baby squash and he loved it. [he got pretty bad gas, though]

i can handle that though. whatever will get him to eat!

WELL DONE,
                  He is a wee cutie, and what is a bit of (wind) between friends HaHa.

Hugs to you both.
                  Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Hi Brittanyt and Greyson Welcome

If Greyson is eating thats great, it sometimes takes adding something to their food to get them to eat.

I give insulin 20-30 min after Niki eats, I measure her food and give her the same amount every day.

Did you say you were going to start home testing? that'd be great and would ease your mind alot. Sounds like you found a great vet.

Dolly
                    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

hi dolly-

i'm alternating mixing canned w/d with dry and mixing the dry w/d with baby food. i think i'm going to buy a scale because i'm super paranoid about not giving him enough food with his shot. i think i'm actually going overboard with it although he could stand to gain a few pounds.

i think i'd have more peace of mind home testing but right now my vet has me following a chart she gave me. i adjust the dosage based on the keto-diastix results. ever since i've started testing, he has measured at the darkest brown but is finally negative on ketones.

what meter do you use? there are so many i'm not sure what to get.

Originally posted by eyelostit View Post
                      Hi Brittanyt and Greyson Welcome

If Greyson is eating thats great, it sometimes takes adding something to their food to get them to eat.

I give insulin 20-30 min after Niki eats, I measure her food and give her the same amount every day.

Did you say you were going to start home testing? that'd be great and would ease your mind alot. Sounds like you found a great vet.

Dolly

Comment

I've seen really great results with small dogs using a Freestyle meter so that's the first one I'd try with Greyson.

Natalie

Comment

i've heard a lot of great things about that one. thanks, natalie

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                          I've seen really great results with small dogs using a Freestyle meter so that's the first one I'd try with Greyson.

Natalie

Comment

i just came upon this picture and had to share. it's classic greyson. he sleeps under the covers in the curve of my legs. here he is, "under the cubbies" waiting for me to go nite-nite. =)

Last edited by brittanyt; 06-29-2009, 05:41 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

OMG! That is one of the cutest dogs I've ever seen!!!!! And you have come along so well Brittany! You should be very proud of yourself.

Pam

Comment

i think i'd have more peace of mind home testing but right now my vet has me following a chart she gave me. i adjust the dosage based on the keto-diastix results. ever since i've started testing, he has measured at the darkest brown but is finally negative on ketones.

what meter do you use? there are so many i'm not sure what to get.
                                I use a chart my vet worked up using the keto diastix too! It's based on an older model of treatment because urine isn't as good an indicator of what's going on right this second as blood testing. But hey, I hope it works as good for you as it has been for us. It can get frustrating but patience pays off. Your vet sounds good that they want you involved in Greyson's.

I am glad to hear you are interested in blood testing. I use a One Touch Mini Meter and it works OK. I wish it had Maxi Screen size! hahahah. Make sure you check out the great videos on testing by Natalie and Johanna.

I met a real life Grayson yesterday and thought about your fluffball! This one was one hot skydive freefall photographer though. Holy cowwwwww...

snow + Devon
                                Last edited by snow; 06-29-2009, 08:15 PM. Reason: cuz i type messy

Comment

Working...
                                X