This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Freestyle Lite strips in the AlphaTrak meter

Here's something I wrote a few months ago.

FreeStyle LIte test strips in the AlphaTrak meter

Some of us have used FreeStyle Lite strips in the AlphaTrak meter to save a little money. Both the FreeStyle Lite and AlphaTrak strips are made by Abbott and look identical. I wouldn't be surprised if they came off the same machine and were just packed into different boxes.

The difference is that the AlphaTrak strips have several "code" numbers listed on the strip container for different types of animals (dogs, cats, horses, etc. each have different codes) because of differences in their blood. The FreeStyle Lite strips are only sold for FreeStyle Lite Series meters and have a single code number for human blood (Actually, I think modern FreeStyle Series meters are auto-coding and you can't even change the code number on the meter).

The trick is to determine what code number should be inserted into the AlphaTrak meter for a box of FreeStyle Lite test strips.

My procedure is to use the small vial of control solution that came in the AlphaTrak kit. Use a true AlphaTrak test strip, code set per the strip container, and use the control solution as imitation blood, note the reading. For example, let's say the AlphaTrak strip + control solution read 150.

Insert a FreeStyle Lite strip. For the first test leave the code set to whatever you used with the AlphaTrak strip, and test again using the control solution. If this test results in a reading within 4-5 points (145-155ish in my example) you are good to go! Unfortunately, most times the above test will be more than 5 points off. If the numbers are off by 6-8, it would be your choice, probably not enough to worry about. If more than 8 points off, you might want to do more testing.

After lots of testing / comparing, code 5 or 6 seem to be best for me. I would insert a FreeStyle Lite strip, change the code to 5, and test with the control solution. If off by more than about 5 points, test again using code 6. Hopefully, either code 5, 6, or the number that was on the AlphaTrak strips will be close enough. I forgot to mention that I ignore the code printed on the FreeStyle Lite container because that number would be used with human blood.

Of course, this may change from box to box. I usually buy three boxes of FreeStyle Lite strips at a time and hope they send me three boxes with the same batch number.

Of course Abbott will tell you to use only the high cost AlphaTrak test strips. Do your own testing, don't rely on my testing / recommendations :-)

Craig

Another thought is to retire the AlphaTrak and go with the PetTest meter.
    https://www.amazon.com/Advocate-Gluc...=pettest+meter The test strips for the PetTest are currently about $25 for 50. I'm a little upset that the price of these strips have risen from $19 to $25 in the past several months

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.
Working...
X