Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naughty Dog- Ate a pie!

Hey all,

I've got an amazing diabetic dog (he was diagnosed about two years ago) who somehow managed to snarf a pie I had on the kitchen counter today. I was at work, and got home to a pee accident, and an unhappy looking pup. I went ahead and gave him his insulin (about an hour early), and though he is looking better he is not happy. Should I take him in to the emergency vet?

Thanks!

yazi

Re: Naughty Dog- Ate a pie!

You usually don't need to do anything with a one-time event like this unless he seems unwell beyond what the high blood sugar would cause.

Nothing toxic in the pie?

If prone to pancreatitis, I suppose the fat in the crust could bring it on.

But in general I'd just let the extra sugar wash out of his system and only take him to the vet if he seems unwell - throwing up, in severe pain from something like pancreatitis, that kind of thing.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks for the response- he is feeling much better! I still can't believe he ate a whole pie, silly pup.

Cheers!

Comment

My jesse will grab just about anything if given a chance . Early in her diagnosis i disliked taking her on walks because she would always find something to eat but over time i had to accept i was not going to be able to keep her in a bubble so sometimes we just have to role with things . I still dont like it but thats our reality

It amazes me how much food is out here just laying on the ground . sometimes hidden and buried but thats not a problem for jesse .

I dont think it ever substantially affected her blood sugar but she never ate something like a whole pie . what a sight that must have been
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Maggie ate half of an 8 lb Honeybaked Ham once. She was so happy and she had sticky glaze all over her pretty white face, ears, and hair. She didn’t go as high as I thought she would and it did not make her sick.

She was a cheater whenever she got a chance.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
          X