• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Dog's name, breed: Buzz (Male), Terrier Mix

Weight: ~20 lbs ideal (~18 lbs now)

Diet: Royal Canin High Protein Diet

Insulin: Humulin-N from Wal-Mart (Eli Lilly Reli-On)

Number of units per injection and injections per day: ~5 units, 2x/day 12 hrs apart. # of units depend on blood glucose testing from ear immediately prior to insulin injections.

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Abbott Labs AlphaTrak. Love it. We test from his ear 2x/day every day.

Buzz was diagnosed December, 2010. He is still unregulated, but we are moving in the right direction to get him regulated. Read more about him here: www.mydoghasdiabetes.blogspot.com

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Dudley 8 yr old Puggle

Weight: 44 lbs.

Diet: Hills Prescription WD Canned

Insulin: Novolian N

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 10 units twice a day

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Accu-chek Compact

My dog Dudley was just diagnosed with diabetes last week. He spent 3 days at the vets because his glucose levels were over 600. Giving him his insulin injections is fairly easy but I have been having trouble testing his glucose levels. I cant seem to get the dog to bleed enough anywhere I have tried his ears, callouses on the backs of his legs, and his lip and have had no luck. Im using the lancets that came with the glucose meter. Do pet lancets work better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comment

Hi Dudley's Mom,

I had the same problems that you are having, getting enough blood. The place that I have ended up using is the elbow. I also tried the carpal pad but the blood seems to seep back into the pad. I had so much trouble I was in tears, I found out you must take it easy on yourself. Stop trying for a while then give it another try. I have found that the callous on the elbow works great, I do not recommend at least for me using the lancet device. I just use the lancet without the lancing device. You also need to check what gague lancet, I had to go to 26 gague. The lancets that come with the machine are to thin for a dogs skin. Good luck and keep trying, you will succeed.
        Loretta & Beau diagnoised Sept 2010, Wellness Core Reduced Fat & Wellness Core Senior canned food, once a day 1/4 cup pure pumpkin.
        Passed on to the rainbow bridge Dec. 11, 2012.

Comment

Hi Loretta and Beau,
          I just bought some thicker lancets so I'm hoping when I test him tonight I will be able to get a reading. I haven't used the lancet device that came with the meter. Hopefully the thicker lancet will be enough. Thank you for you help!

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Pumpernickle...Fawn Pug

Weight: 28lbs (started at 35lbs)

Diet: Newly changed: Taste of wild (bison)

Insulin: Humulin-N (canadian at local pharmacy)

Number of units per injection and injections per day: 10.5 units 2x a day at 7:15 am and 7:15 pm immediately after food..inject on back of neck

Brand of BG meter if home testing: One touch ultra test at fasting times and at mid points when possible...test on callous on elbows

WE are still regulating so im sure the units with increase....dont ahve an opinion on the food yet am interested if anyone has any comments on this brand of food with a diabetic dog (he also has bladder stones that restrict his diet!!)

Comment

jesses primary food ingredient is lean grounded beef heart with collard greens and kale chopped up finely in a food processor and mixed in with the meat to let the enzymes and amino acids begin to break it down I add small amounts of liver yam and pumpkin I will also put an egg in for good measure I also mix in a multi vitamin and some dog enzymes and probiotics (I special order the beef heart from the market it is allot cheaper than lean ground beef ) the beef heart is served raw
              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

we have been using the prodigy auto code for 3 months now its numbers compared very close to my true track which was analyzed with the vet and that meter was very close to the vets just a few points off from 250 and lower. the true track needs a large sample of blood and the prodigy is a very small blood sample

I compared to my relion and ulta mini there was about a 30 point difference in that 250 and below classification on those meters compared to the auto code

I decided to try it because of cost able to get strips 50 count on ebay from 2 to 8 dollars for 50 on ebay and amazon for 10 dollars with free shipping we are on a low budget situation and this makes it possible for us to afford jesses testing

the prodigy is a talking meter not sure if I like that part of it but you wont make a mistake on numbers you get audio and visual and of coarse you can plug it into your computer
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Nikki, she is a poodle
                  about 10-11 lbs.
                  food is wd from the vet
                  insulin right is from the vet but want to change to walmart
                  in the am just changed to 4 and evening 3 hope that will lower her levels
                  just started testing at home relion meter

open to any help.
                  Carol Ü

Comment

Nikki, if you keep the shots at 12 hours apart that should make a difference. It did with my pug. I was administering insulin between 11-13 hours depending on my schedule, and when I was on a business trip, I had my vet tech care for him and she gave him insulin exactly 12 hours apart each day, regularly, same times, and his energy picked up and his blood sugar was great when I took him for his check up. Ever since, no matter what, I've done the 12 hour shots, and his energy has picked up.
                    Hope this helps,
                    Cathy

Comment

• Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Dog's name, breed: Jacob 7 1/2 year old Rottweiler

Weight: 128 lbs (was 150 lbs prior to pancreatitis)

Diet: Royal Canin Diabetes & Engers Beef with Chicken, 1900 cal/day divided by 2 meals. 3 Cups dry Royal Canin + 1/2 can Engers. I add cinnamon and chromium supplements along with Trixyn and Liquid Health for his arthritis. I also add a steamed veggie like broccoli, green beans, spinach or asperagus with garlic and tamari sauce.

Insulin: Humulin N

Number of units per injection and injections per day: Currently at 32 units, twice a day, 6am/6pm (currently unregulated)

Brand of BG meter if home testing: Started with OneTouch Ultra. Just got a Contour USB but there is a big difference between these two meters. Have not had them to the vet yet to see which is closer to truth. Looking for a meter with less expensive strips, than the OneTouch. I use the underside of the lips, elbow callus or hand pad.
                      WendyJo - Jacob, 8 yr old Rotty, diabetic since Oct 2010. Eats 1900 calories a day (divided into 2 meals) was On 32 units Humulin N the AM and 33 units at night but now trying Levemir on 8 1/2 units but still working out BG issues but I think we are getting closer to understanding and compensating for his large exercise glucose drop.

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Bichon-Poo 13 years old
                        Dog's weight: 30 lbs (vet wants him to lose 10 lbs)
                        Diet: Hill w/d dry and canned (ceaser all his like prior along with various dry foods)
                        Insulin: Humulin NU-100
                        Number of units per injection and injections per day: 7cc twice per day

Brand of BG meter if home testing:

Don't have one yet...just diagnosed and I am a wreck. He has been on the insulin for 3 days now and also an antibiotic...he is not the same dog he was a week ago He doesnt go in for the curve until 2 weeks from this week...do you recommend the meter after we learn more about diabetes
                        ??
                        Kodi - Bichon-Poo 13 years old
                        Diagnosed 05/09/11, 7 units Humulin N, 2x's/day.
                        1st Curve 05/23/11, Upped to 8 1/2 units 2x's/day

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Lulu, Mini Pinscher

Dog's weight: 18.75lbs

Diet: Purina OM / 1 cup 2x per day

Insulin: Humulin-N

# units per injection and injections per day: 6 units in am & pm

Brand of BG meter if home testing: I’m not doing BG meter as of yet.

I don't know much about diabetes - whether it be human or canine form. This is truly a learning experience for me. Heartbreaking, yes... Hopeful... Always.
                          ..Annie..
                          Lulu - Min-Pin 6 yrs old
                          Diagnosed 4/25/11, 5units Humulin-N, 2x's/day.
                          5/14/11, increased to 6units 2x's/day

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Hattie May, Rat Terrier Mix

Dog's weight: 31.5 pounds

Diet:White meat chicken 1 cup,green beans, One Beyond 1/3 cup.. 2 x a day

# units per injection and injections per day: 13 units in am & pm

Brand of BG meter if home testing: One Touch Ultra 2

TRYING TO LOWER HER SUGAR.......

Comment

Dog's name, breed: Happy, mini poodle
                              Dog's weight: 11.5lb
                              Diet: Royal Canin Diabetic HF 90g with 2-3Tbsp of Tripett Tripe divided into 2-3 times per day...later to Royal Canin Hepatic 80g
                              Number of units per injection and injections per day: 3 units with U-100 insulin syringe in am and pm
                              Brand of BG meter if home testing: One touch Ultra 2 and AlphaTRAK
                              Last edited by Anna; 08-01-2011, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Hi Anna,

Just wanted to remark that in fact, you're giving about 3.75 units of insulin, but MEASURING those units in a U-40 syringe, so that the fluid volume reaches the 1.5-unit MARKER (barrel-mark) on the U-40 syringe.

I'll be glad when you get those U-100 syringes you're planning to get, so that you can measure the actual number of units of insulin - as being the SAME as what the barrel-markings say!

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/merrymeasure.php

Meantime, you might need to be careful when talking to vets, so nobody goes around giving your dog 1.5 UNITS of Humulin-N - believing that will keep your dog's BG levels under control.

Sat, 11 Jun 2011 11:39:26 (PDT)
                                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                                CarolW

Comment

Working...
                                X