Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Dog diagnosed 1/30... Need advice/help!

Quote:
He did suggest we may want to add b12 for the leg weakness but hasnít gotten back to me with a dosage yet.
B12 is good but the Methyl B-12 (GNC has with no additives that are harmful to our pups) is what is recommended for the neuropathy at 67mcg per pound. I've heard some wonderful results with Methyl B12 from several people. Just make sure there's no harmful ingredients (some have xylitol which is deadly to dogs).
Daisy 9 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 95g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 65g green beans, 20g Hills Perfect Weight (3g soaked) , 1 tbs pumpkin, 4.5 units Novolin N q12h. 1 noodle 12pm and 1/2 noodle 12am.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:44 AM

I took Lucy to the vet this morning to have a few hard bumps on her skin checked that cropped up on Wed and it turns out thereís a bit of an infection/bacteria. He said itís not uncommon when their sugar is high and weíre obviously still trying to get it under control. He gave me an antibiotic. Unfortunately Iíve always relied on pill pockets to get Lucy to take pills and they have corn syrup so thatís now def no. Iím trying to make my own pill packet using partially frozen canned pumpkin (NOT pie filling). Anyone see any problems with giving her pumpkin? Would a natural peanut butter be better?
He also gave her a b12 injection and said it should last her about 2 weeks and then Iíll either do another injection at home or bring her in for one. He said it will absorb better than pills.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Canned pumpkin, like Libbyís 100% pure pumpkin, is good for our diabetic pups.

I give Lily a heaping tablespoonful with each meal. The additional fiber helps flatten out her BG numbers.

The pumpkin should work well for giving pills.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, Milk Thistle, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

We used Pill Pockets. Depending on the size of the pill, I’d break apart the Pill Pocket into a piece small enough to just surround the pill. So little “sugar” I don’t think they affected Annie.

Other times, I’d use a tiny piece of turkey / chicken / other meat to push pills into. Sometimes, I’d just put the pill in her regular meal and she would gobble it down with the food (watch the area around her food dish to make sure she didn’t spit it out!)

Craig

Last edited by CraigM; 02-10-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
Sharp Cheddar Cheese
NOPE! All the sharp cheddar is for me ONLY . Annie also liked a fine cheese.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:01 PM

Thanks everyone! Iíll try cheese, pumpkin or some kind of meat pocket for now. Her numbers are so high I donít want to give her even a teeny bit of sugar if itís avoidable for now.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Exercise usually lowers blood glucose. You might want to try a test by testing before, and then soon after exercise.

It seems excitement can affect dogs by either raising, or lowering their BGs. Thatís why home testing can be better than taking them to the vet clinic.

Unfortunately, what happens in one dog might not be the same in another. Heck, what I think would happen to my Annie sometimes would be the opposite!😏.

Craig
Remember I mentioned exercise USUALLY lowers blood glucose? Iím a type-2 diabetic, not exactly the same as our dogs who are more like human type-1, no injected insulin for me, yet. Hereís an example of why diabetes can be so frustrating and confusing!

Yesterdayís pre-breakfast reading was 124. I waited about an hour, then went for a 50 minute brisk walk. Tested 30 minutes after the walk to a very nice 105. Just what I expected.

Today, I had 122 pre-breakfast and had a near identical breakfast. Took the same 50 minute brisk walk, waited 30 minutes and tested 125. The blood glucose increased!

I really canít explain why my blood glucose didnít lower this morning. I know(??) exercise it good, and it GENERALLY lowers my blood glucose, so I try to continue this routine.

What Iím getting at is that diabetes doesnít always follow a text book. Sometimes readings are higher, or lower, than what you expect or desire.

Craig
Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 PM

Lucyís numbers are all over the place right now, but always always high. I think it may be complicated by her having some skin sores on her body and sheís fighting the infection. I noticed another one on her tail today that I think has been there for a few days at least. She started antibiotics yesterday. Iím still waiting for more complete blood work results next week. Just crossing my fingers there isnít something major and more complicated at work here.
That said, I did a little test on exercise today. Took her reading before a really short and easy walk and it was 405... then again about 5 minutes after the walk and it was 365. It may not be a consistent thing, but I just want to test it a few times so Iíll know that when they do test her in the office thatís why she may test lower than at home.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:14 PM

Peanut butter is oily and has fat, even if all natural. I used string cheese, but I also used pill pockets and they never significantly affected her blood sugar.