Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perhaps just a chat - tell us how you and your dog are doing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps just a chat - tell us how you and your dog are doing!

The lucky folks whose dogs aren't having any problems never get to post anything! So here's your chance. Tell us how your dog (diabetic or otherwise) and you are doing.

Natalie

Re: Perhaps just a chat - tell us how you and your dog are doing!

I haven't had a diabetic dog for a loonnggg time now. Still have his meter and a couple of bottles of his insulin in the fridge.

The latest project keeping me away from the forum so much is I have been volunteering one day a week at the local animal shelter, which is a wonderful place full of incredibly responsible and capable people - many of whom I'm old enough to be their mothers... - and some of the most wonderful dogs you could imagine. I set up their kennels first thing in the morning and then take them out to walk or play and help people wanting to meet them to adopt a dog.

Though not planned, all of the dogs in my life have been medium sized shepherd / collie / corgi type dogs. I never spent any time before with pitties or with Chihuahuas.

Not exactly a surprise - as if I ever felt like some sort of dog could be a "bad" dog, but I have come to love both breeds!

And am surprised that both have a tendency to love laps. Which is much easier to pull off with the chis but perhaps even sweeter from the pitties since they don't really fit. LOL All 70 pounds of "Rosey" tried her best yesterday, for example. Right now, we have six female pitties on the adoption floor (no small dogs for a few days) and I'm thinking of having them form a girl band!

I cannot understand how these sweet wonderful souls wind up being abandoned and unclaimed and it's an incredible joy to help them be as comfortable and happy as they can be at the shelter and watch them start out a new happy life with a thrilled family.

Around that, I try - not always successfully - to get some work done!

Natalie

Comment

Well, as far as his diabetes, Jake is doing great. Haven't had any problems keeping him in a nice range. He does have other health problems. His rear legs are getting weaker. It doesn't take much for him to collapse and then he has a hard time getting back. He knuckles over his rear feet. Right now he has some kind of skin issue. Vet put him on antibiotics and a special shampoo. I wanted him to have a dental cleaning, but vet won't do it. I guess his age is catching up to him. So sad.

Jazzy, 11 year old chocolate lab, non diabetic has her own issues. She has congestive heart failure and LP. She did ok this winter but I worry about the hot summer. She is on 6 different meds and seems comfortable at the moment.

Jake
      13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
      At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

Lily is doing well. She'll be 9 years old in July. We've been able to prevent any further pancreatitis attacks(knock on wood). I'm sure the lower fat diet has helped with that and maybe the addition of FortiFlora and milk thistle has also helped with her overall health.

We've owned dogs for our entire lives and they all have a place in our hearts, but there's something special about her. Caring for her diabetes and watching her just be a dog has a lot to do with it.

Mike

She can be a daydreamer...

Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
        Diabetes: Aug 2013
        Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
        Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Bubby Girl (cat) has always been a tiny girl but is getting quite skinny these days. Worried her time may be limited but she still loves to squawk for treats and purrs herself asleep on my head at night. Twenty years ago her and her feline brother were a college graduation gift. She's my girlie and and though she hasn't been able to hear for several years now - I still tell her that every day.

Old man Kinser is still keeping pace with Bubby. He's now officially 15 years old and showing his age in terms of mobility and potty habits. Despite his physical limitations, his mental status is still that of a much younger pup. He's still full of attitude, loves to beg for human food and enjoys getting out to trot around new places.

Toby pup - he's going on three and his love for his humans - we are his whole world and he is very protective of his family. With Toby - it's all about the routine - alter the routine and he becomes a bit of a nervous pup. He can do zoomies at 100% energy but still has an off switch and will just as happily curl up on your lap (all 65 pounds) and snuggle. He's very food motivated and knows how to twirl, give high fives, roll over and a few other tricks. He seems to have worked out a deal with Kinser where every single meal Kinser will leave him one kibble of food to eat after he has finished his dish - it's a strange but funny situation to watch. When it comes to Bubby Girl - Toby gets a bit nervous when she tries to intrude upon his snuggle rights but she's old and doesn't really care and he's learned that she will try to snuggle and lick him too.

Here is a picture of Kinser keeping his mind challenged and Bubby Girl checking out Toby's new toy....

Toby, Kinser and the human kid had their picture taken with the Easter Bunny back in March:

A fun pic of living in central to upstate NY - pictures were taken two days apart:
          Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

fine looking group holli

glad everything is going well
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

my ranger is a psycho dog on his own. he has massive separation anxiety but he likes being the only dog in town. glad to see the updates on everyone's dogs.
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hi all!
                Vinny has been doing pretty well. He's been diabetic, going on three years now! We haven't been faced with anything lately we couldn't figure out, thanks to this forum. Although I think, like Jake, his age is creeping up on him. He'll be 10 later this month. His hind legs are weaker and our wood floors aren't helping. Just this weekend we talked about rugs for him. He does have a bit of arthritis or maybe more than a bit. Hard to tell. He still wants to play with Bogey and gets very excited when we touch his leash! He doesn't care where he's going, he's just going!

Bogey and the cats, Bella and Snicklefritz, are much the same. I don't think Bogey will ever stop chewing things up! His cute face has saved him on many occasions!! Bella is as old as Vinny, but cats seem to handle age better. Snicklefritz continues to be the entertainment...he's such a clown! He barely makes a sound too, such a difference from other cats we've had. We really don't hear much from either of them!

Trying to work, as well as having a teenager and all that goes with that, has kept me from posting very often. I do try to read the forum though!
                Gotta run!
                Mel
                Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

mel we have the same dilemma with my daughters pup teppei he chewed my seat in my car as i helped my daughter move out of her apartments . hes very cute but can get some separation anxiety . he has been staying with me and jesse for the last year and he has done pretty good but going back down to his old life with so many people running around he reverted back for a day .

my daughter has graduated college with cum laudi in mechanical engineering . she is moving to norfolk virginia with her boyfriend (who is in the navy) to star her new life . its my last baby( except for jesse) who has completely left the nest .a new chapter for me but i am not sad actually happy to see my kids moving forward .

teppie will be leaving with my daughter on his new life . he brought allot of energy to jesses life and she played with him quite a bit and kept up with that rambunctious boy as jesse is a bit of an older gal . i was surprised . will jesse miss him ? I dont know she has always been cat like and just moves on to what reality that is present in her life at that time .

my jesse is slowing down as those younger rabbits she chases seem to be getting faster or she is getting slower but she enjoys the hunt finding there hiding place and then a short chase . Her seizures from epilepsy are still rare been 4 months since her last one ( knock on wood ) . have no clue why and i just chalk it up to miracles

so for me and jesse we enter the next phase of our lives . i look at as as not better or worse than previous lives but different and new and something to look forward to . ITs great to reflect back to a previous time but there is no need to dwell in that place all the time . My mom kind of taught me that who is also cat like as with jesse
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I just updated Echo's thread on her. I forgot to mention that she graduated from her Basic Obedience class last week.

Dakota is doing good for his age (13.5). He was having some trouble breathing. The vet says probably a bit of age related LP. He's not allowed to be outside for long, especially in the heat, so he pretty much sleeps in the house all day. He eats much better than he did before Echo, and he does seem happier. All of his bloodwork on April came back very good. Some elevations, but nothing really concerning, basically normal stuff for his age.

So mostly good here. I'm looking for a new job. I had an informal interview yesterday, and I'm hoping I'll get called back. I'm ready to move onto something a little more challenging.
                    Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Hey all!

New boy Karl has been with us 6.5 months. Finished two rounds of clicker training class and one round of agility. His next agility class starts next week. He is SUPER fast. Loves the dog park, loves all dogs, has more friends than I. He went to doggie daycare twice as a test to see if he (or rather, I) would survive being a way from each other. He had a blast. It's called "The Barker Lounge". He still goes to wag n splash for indoor swimming every other week. He runs with me about 4 times a week. On the average, we log 6 miles a day between running and walking. He is a busy dog.

He is getting a brother tomorrow (Wednesday!)! He just loves dogs so much, we figure a friend would be good for him....so he can be a "dog" vs my baby.

In a couple weeks it will be the 2nd anniversary of Sydney's passing. We miss her and SOaphie a TON...I still get all weepy talking / typing about them (like now, darn allergies...)

Think of you all often and check in each day for updates...

Tami
                      Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Hi everyone,
                        Sissy overall has been doing really well.she started levothyroxine for thyroid about 2 months ago.her numbers are from 60 or 80 to high 200s. A few bad days number wise,but awesome for my girl.she is 13 now and next month 4 yrs diabetic.
                        Still questions about cushings,but with her numbers etc the past 6 months, I'm leaving things alone. Her vision is almost gone,but i think she see shadows.she has trouble finding me if not really close. She loves herbrother fritz.she has slowed down,but still wags her tail and loves jer mom she owns my heart and soul
                        Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

Originally posted by Soaphie & Sydney's Mom View Post
                          Hey all!

New boy Karl has been with us 6.5 months. Finished two rounds of clicker training class and one round of agility. His next agility class starts next week. He is SUPER fast. Loves the dog park, loves all dogs, has more friends than I. He went to doggie daycare twice as a test to see if he (or rather, I) would survive being a way from each other. He had a blast. It's called "The Barker Lounge". He still goes to wag n splash for indoor swimming every other week. He runs with me about 4 times a week. On the average, we log 6 miles a day between running and walking. He is a busy dog.

He is getting a brother tomorrow (Wednesday!)! He just loves dogs so much, we figure a friend would be good for him....so he can be a "dog" vs my baby.

In a couple weeks it will be the 2nd anniversary of Sydney's passing. We miss her and SOaphie a TON...I still get all weepy talking / typing about them (like now, darn allergies...)

Think of you all often and check in each day for updates...

Tami
                          I think Echo would do great at agility, but mine and the trainer's schedules can't seem to sync up. She wanted me to start two weeks ago, but my brother was graduating from college. Last week, I was house sitting and didn't have Echo with me. Now she's taking a break for competition, and by the time she starts up again, I'll be house sitting again! She said she probably won't do any more classes in the fall too, because it's so much work for her. I'm hoping she will change her mind on that, because any other trainer is an hour away.

I hear you on the wanting a dog friend. I think another dog here that she can actually play with (Dakota doesn't play a lot) would be great for Echo. She loves playing with other dogs! I think it'd make it easier for me to leave her because she'd have that distraction, but my parents said no to another dog right now, and I kind of have to follow that...
                          Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Hello everyone - it's really nice to read a bit of non-diabetic news about all your dogs!

My lovely Eddie is showing his age (12) now. His blood sugar is about the same - more or less ok - but he is slowing down a lot, sleeping more and pants whenever the humidity rises.
                            As well as diabetes, he has high blood pressure, EPI and hasn't been able to see for years, but his tail still wags and he bosses us around so he's doing ok.

Spangle, the collie dog, is also getting on (11). He loves ball games but is arthritic in his back legs. He has supplements and Metacam to keep him comfortable and he seems happy - completely devoted to my husband - a proper one-man-dog!

Little Patterdale terrier Millie is great - loves stalking squirrels and digging big holes. She's always a bit nervous (a rescue dog who had been abandoned and mistreated) but she is slowly getting more relaxed.

Finally there is little Rosie, the rescue we got last year who turned out to be pregnant. I can hardly believe that her puppies were born a year ago yesterday. We have invited them all back here for a birthday party on Saturday - might be a bit chaotic!
                            Rosie has done some training and got her bronze Good Citizen award and we're now trying Heelwork to Music - though, being a Bedlington Terrier, she has her own ideas about what she will and won't do. I think that perhaps she isn't very musical! We've applied for her to be a Pets as Therapy dog - visiting people in hospital, residential homes etc to give them an opportunity to meet a dog.

They're a lovely gang, even if they do drive us a bit mad sometimes!
                            Antonia
                            Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

A lot has happened with the pug herd in the last 6 months or so. Currently have 11.

Started the yr with Emmitt, diabetic who quite rapidly developed mega-E which was caused by his myasthenia gravis. These are not fun things to deal with. His diabetes was so easy, but the other issues just kept adding up, and the final blow was his dx of liver cancer. So in March we let him go, and will miss him forever.

On a better note, Lindy came to us in December/15. She had been diabetic for a few yrs and never even close to regulated. Vets opinion at the time we adopted her, was that her prognosis was "poor". She has just thrived since we changed up her food & insulin. She has put on 3.5 pounds, and her coat is shiny & beautiful. Lindy is a sweetheart and we are so lucky to have found her.

In Feb we took on 2 more diabetic pugs as temporary fosters, now we were at 14 pugs!

Rocky Balboa was blind, diabetic and has EPI. He was so easy with both conditions. A lovely quiet pug and once he gained a few pounds looked really good for his age. Hubby has been out of the country and I have been so busy with 14 pugs at the time, and so rescue found a new foster for Rocky last wk. She is a nurse, and has had several diabetic pugs as fosters. I was pretty sad handing him off, but her kids jumped out of the vehicle and scooped him up saying how beautiful he was (not!), and he never looked back at me. I felt so good about it, and even better as they have sent pics of him, loving their family and being loved back. He is in good hands.

Walter was the other foster we took on in Feb. We have since adopted him permanently. He is blind and diabetic. Thinking we may have to remove one eye, have an appt for that next wk. while most pugs are pretty laid back and make good lap dogs, Walter is like a toy dog that was just wound a bit too tight. We love him dearly, and so glad we had the chance to adopt him. His diabetes is easy, he just likes to run pretty low. there are days when I wonder whether he is actually type 1. But as long as I keep really close track, and adjust, he is fine

The other 9 non-diabetic pugs are good. Mostly seniors, they all have medical issues but enjoying life despite being handicapped, heart issues, liver issues etc etc

One additional note. Toby our beautiful black bug (pug/boston cross) was our only youngster. We adopted him 2 yrs earlier when he had severe IVDD, MRI showed he had a high velocity disc explosion that had damaged his spine. Over the first yr with us, he learned to walk and then run and then BARK. They day after Emmitt passed Toby did not eat his supper. Just that morning I had got after him for barking and chasing squirrels when I needed him in for breakfast. The next morning I made a vet appt as he did not seem right. That afternoon vet dx UTI. I told him about 3 times that it had to be more than that. These pugs have lots of UTIs, this was not the main problem with Toby IMO. He was sent home on antibiotics, and 3 hrs later Toby left this world. Being 2 days after losing Emmitt I do not have to tell you how hard this was. Autopsy showed hemangiosarcoma. A tumor that basically may not show symptoms until it ruptures.

All our pugs are rescues for one reason or another. It can be a very rewarding venture, but sometimes it is very very hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X