Diet-associated heart disease in dgs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diet-associated heart disease in dgs

Recent article on heart disease associated with grain-free and other unusual diets. Our nondiabetic dog was diagnosed at 8 with a heart murmur and has been taking CoQ10 and a taurine supplement for more than three years. These supplements gave him more energy and a stronger heart beat and the murmur has stayed at grade 2.

http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/0...c-ingredients/

Natalie

Re: Diet-associated heart disease in dgs

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

I've always felt that we just don't know that much about diet and nutrition for people, let alone animals. It's one of the reasons I have been rotating varieties and brands of food for Snickers for years.
    Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Wow this is a scary read..Mochi is eating a low fat kangaroo diet right now and has been for almost a year...should I talk to my vet about this and change it? Have you guys heard anything about the Raine Clinical Nutrition low fat kangaroo maint?
      Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
      Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
      Had cataract surgery June 2016.
      On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I think looking at overall health of a dog plays a big part . If your dog is doing well and for diabetics having adequate regulation I would hesitate to change anything because regulation can be so challenging and have them feel better.

I think the article talks about a specific supplement that maybe devoid in these diets as a problem
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It's definitely helped with his high triglycerides but now I'm struggling to find a dog food that's hypoallergenic and low in fat thats not grain free...

Changing his diet is always scary..I'm really stuck now..
          Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
          Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
          Had cataract surgery June 2016.
          On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Originally posted by Lchow022 View Post
            It's definitely helped with his high triglycerides but now I'm struggling to find a dog food that's hypoallergenic and low in fat thats not grain free...

Changing his diet is always scary..I'm really stuck now..
            I would not worry about it . Its never going to be a perfect world . As long as they are doing well steady goes the ship
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
            Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It doesn’t appear to be long term study, more a bunch of observations with some similarities. Not conclusive enough yet to make me change a diet that is working.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
              X