Yuki has crossed the bridge Dec 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Diabetes, Cushings and Pancreatitis in my Dog

Frozen green beans are a great treat for our diabetic dogs. They have zero effect on my Lily’s BG.

One of the big advantages of home testing is that we can see how exercise, food, treats, medications and anything else effect our dog’s BG.
    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
      That is my plan - to start doing it at home in the near future. I just keep hearing it is going to be very hard for me to manage both the cushings and diabetes.
      Hi again! I just want to try to lessen your anxiety a bit here about the combo of Cushing’s and diabetes. Per the ACTH testing performed last spring, Yukie exhibited elevations in certain adrenal hormones other than cortisol. So per that testing, he was NOT diagnosed with traditional Cushing’s. As far as I know, those other adrenal hormone elevations do not increase glucose levels in the same manner or as significantly that elevated cortisol does. So for the time being, I’d encourage you to put worries about traditional Cushing’s on the back burner. If you end up having a hard time controlling Yukie’s glucose levels down the road, then cortisol retesting may enter the picture once again. But for right now, I really encourage you to try to set the Cushing’s worry aside. Deep breaths, and one step at a time. Traditional Cushing’s may never be an issue for you at all.

Marianne

P.S. Just to clarify, I don’t know for certain that those other hormone elevations don’t interact with glucose levels in some manner. But I think that elevated cortisol has a more definitive impact on increasing glucose levels. But I’ll try to help research possible interactions with those other hormones as well and let you know if I find out anything significant.
      Last edited by labblab; 10-02-2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

we managed cushings and diabetes at the same time for our dog for 3 years. Did we have some scary moments? yes. were there ups and downs? yes

but it is doable. She did not die from cushings or diabetes. Her little body and mind just wore out. During the 3 years she had a lot of happy times chasing squirrels and bossing us around.

Learn what you can, monitor what you can, and try not to obsess too much. for the last year we just focused on whether she was happy. If she was happy, I was happy.

We did wind up monitoring her blood sugar at home (it was very hard for me to get blood) because her blood sugar got scarily low a couple of times

The people on this forum and the cushing forum were invaluable as people in my real life just didn't get it.

hang in there, if I can do it, you can do it! Judi
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thank you all so much for the information about Cushings/Diabetes and the Green Beans.

After staying up all night letting Yukon out because he was drinking so much and had to pee we took him for his Glucose Curve Test this morning.

They did the first blood draw and his Blood Sugar levels is 539 an hour after giving him the insulin.

I am so sad and disappointed. The vet upped his insulin to 5 units from 4 units and wants him to come back in a week for the Curve Test. I am just so afraid that his level won't drop and it will hurt him.

What can I do?
          15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

And Judi - thank you so much for your note about your dog. It really made me feel good reading it that there would be some hope for Yukon. We are very diligent in keeping him happy and healthy and will do whatever it takes to achieve this.

I am glad to hear from someone that their dog lived 3 years with both diseases - it gives me some hope.
            15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 11.5u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken and chicken bone broth. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.

Comment

OK, it’s me back again. I’ve tried to do a little more research about those other elevated adrenal hormones. And maybe the folks here will know more about possible interactions. But from my limited reading so far, I’ve not found an association between androstenedione and glucose levels. Estradiol may interact, but I’m not sure that it’s in a damaging way. However, it looks as though elevated Progesterone/17 OH Progesterone can be associated with insulin resistance. Elevated cortisol levels, on the other hand, can frankly increase glucose levels. That’s why the standard concerns about the combo of diabetes and Cushing’s typically relate to elevated cortisol.

Again, if Yukie’s glucose level ends up being quite difficult to control, then repeated testing of all his adrenal hormones may be warranted. If necessary, there is a prescription medication that can help lower progesterone, 17 OH progesterone, androstenedione and cortisol, as well. So do not despair! Right now you’re at the very start of the road. I’m sure the K9D folks will tell you there’s still a heck of a lot of insulin tweaking that can be done before we need to start worrying about a lack of response from Yukie.

Marianne

Comment

Originally posted by labblab View Post
                OK, it’s me back again. I’ve tried to do a little more research about those other elevated adrenal hormones. And maybe the folks here will know more about possible interactions. But from my limited reading so far, I’ve not found an association between androstenedione and glucose levels. Estradiol may interact, but I’m not sure that it’s in a damaging way. However, it looks as though elevated Progesterone/17 OH Progesterone can be associated with insulin resistance. Elevated cortisol levels, on the other hand, can frankly increase glucose levels. That’s why the standard concerns about the combo of diabetes and Cushing’s typically relate to elevated cortisol.

Again, if Yukie’s glucose level ends up being quite difficult to control, then repeated testing of all his adrenal hormones may be warranted. If necessary, there is a prescription medication that can help lower progesterone, 17 OH progesterone, androstenedione and cortisol, as well. So do not despair! Right now you’re at the very start of the road. I’m sure the K9D folks will tell you there’s still a heck of a lot of insulin tweaking that can be done before we need to start worrying about a lack of response from Yukie.

Marianne
                As Marianne suggested if you see insulin resistance that may give another clue to the hormone imbalance . If you dont see resistance the diagnosis would be more difficult to guarantee
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by labblab View Post

Marianne
                  Marianne is right about there being a ways to go with getting to the right insulin dose.

As jesse girl mentioned, the normal starting dose for a 32lb dog would be 6 units every 12 hours. You’re at 5 units right now. So don’t get discouraged. It’s very important to wait 5 to 7 days after each insulin increase, so that Yukon’s body adjusts to the increase. So it can take several weeks, even months, of repeating the process of weekly curves and insulin increases until you get to the proper dose.
                  Last edited by MikeMurphy; 10-03-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone. I will keep you posted :-)

Comment

Ok another question where is the best place to give the insulin injection? We were told at the emergency vet to get it on the side of his body between his legs but the vet today told me to give it on his scruff of his neck.

Comment

i probably would not inject long term in the scruff as buildup a scar tissue can occur

Vets probably suggest that because its easy . the side of the body is good anywhere you can grab some loose skin . i use the back area kind of on the side for jesse
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

We were told that we needed to get Ketone Strips and a Glucose Meter. Can anyone recommend what brands to use on both?

The vet gave me a brochure for the Alpha Trak 2.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by YukiesMom View Post
                            We were told that we needed to get Ketone Strips and a Glucose Meter. Can anyone recommend what brands to use on both?

The vet gave me a brochure for the Alpha Trak 2.

Thanks,
                            I’ve never used ketone strips, but the most popular Glucose meters are:

AlphaTrak2
                            PetTest
                            OneTouch Ultra2
                            OneTouch Ultra Mini

I’ve been using Walmart’s ReliOn Prime for 5 years and so far so good.

In general, the human meters test BG a bit lower than the pet meters. However, the test strips cost way less than the $1 per strip that you would pay for a genuine AlphaTrak2 strip.

Comment

we just bought some ketone strips at the pharmacy. We used the One Touch Ultra for all 3 years.

I'd compare it to the vet's reading when we went in for checkups so I had a baseline
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thanks again for all your information. We went to the vet today and they let us borrow an alpha trak monitor. We give him his insulin injection at 7 AM and we went to the vet about 10 AM and his blood glucose was 495. I am going to test his blood glucose every morning before the injection for the next few days to determine whether or not to increase the dosage.

I am really concerned because his BG has been higher on the insulin then when we brought him to emergency vet a week ago tomorrow.

I cut out all of the hydrolyzed protein treats. I am only giving him 3/4 of a cup of hydrolyzed protein dog food twice a day with a couple tablespoons of boiled chicken in each meal. If he bugs me throughout the day I give him green beans maybe one or two times a day not much though.

He bugs me so much for food and I tell him to just go lay down. It's very frustrating and upsetting to see him laying around and not feeling well.

Comment

Working...
                                X