Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spirit Crossed the Bridge Today..... June 9, 2016

yes jim we are devoted to them as they are to us . jesse saved my life as i did for her as i decided to take a healthier trail as to mimic jesse

in a way this disease was a gift from jesse to me a teaching moment i needed to learn about health and to be more than self . i will never be the same and forever grateful for this experience . there is a rainbow in all experiences

i think if spirit could do it all over again he would not change a thing
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Oh Jim! I am so sorry! In each and every post, it has been very clear of the bond you have shared with Spirit. I agree, this diabetes thing does bring a level of intimacy with our pups that we wouldn't normally know. You certainly had that with Spirit and he with you.
      Praying for comfort and peace,
      Mel
      Mel: My monster is Vinny! He's a black lab, diagnosed with diabetes June 21, 2013. His birthdate was celebrated the last weekend of May. He left this world on July 27, 2018, he was 12 years old.

Comment

I've been off the forum for a month and was so saddened to learn of your loss Jim. You are so right about what they and their diabetes taught us. It seems to help me to look at the pre-diabetes days photos, but I still miss him every day.

Take care,
        Laura
        Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Jim,

Your recent post resonated with me. They will always be our "sweetest pups", and because of diabetes, we do have such a special bond with them, one that we will carry with us forever.

I find myself, when missing Abby, to stop by this forum. I think we all share that bond, and can understand your words, that were written so well.

Take care, and hope your saddens lessens. You know he is lurking around...right in your heart.

Barb
          Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Originally posted by Abby's Mom View Post
            Jim,

Your recent post resonated with me. They will always be our "sweetest pups", and because of diabetes, we do have such a special bond with them, one that we will carry with us forever.

I find myself, when missing Abby, to stop by this forum. I think we all share that bond, and can understand your words, that were written so well.

Take care, and hope your saddens lessens. You know he is lurking around...right in your heart.

Barb
            He's never left my side Barb......It will be 3 months on Friday. It's gonna be odd getting in the motorhome and heading south for the winter without my co-pilot.
            Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Hello Friends.....been a loooong time! I just thought I would post something so everyone knew I didn't fall off the planet. It was an odd trip to florida this year without spirit. In fact, it was the first time in 13 years I didn't have a newfie with me on vacation. Losing spirit really took a long time to recover from and everyplace I went reminded me of the big guy. Once we hit Florida it all came flooding back again when we walked the beach or strolled downtown without him. Hearts do mend...that's the good news and now I look back with great affection and joy when I remember him. I also went to the North Florida Newfie convention in December and literally sat in the lobby of the hotel and hugged each one as they entered....spent 2 days there, that may have helped too!

I have put my name on a waiting list at "Watchbear Newfoundlands" for a Landseer. MJ and I just can't fathom another black newfie so we are patiently waiting for a black and white one (landseer).....if you go to their web page you can see how wonderful her dogs are. It's been since last July that we got on the list so I am learning patience too.....LOL

We are praying that our new addition to the family will arrive this summer so I can begin the training on Lake Huron and the beach here at the house before he/she makes the first trek to the ocean.

I miss you all and think of you often....I do lurk around and add comments when my knowledge is relevant. Love to all our sugar babies.

Jim & MJ
              Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Great to hear from you Jim! I just checked out the Watchbear Newfies on their Facebook page! Oh my goodness they are beautiful dogs and the puppies are adorable. Hope you get your "little" one soon!!

Comment

Nice to hear from you, Jim, ... and really great to hear you're "expecting" a new baby! Many of us can testify just how hard the separation from our little guys and gals was. No doubt, the bond which develops by caring for our patients really intensifies the relationship, ... and thus makes the inevitable parting more intense as well.

Will be quite interested in your new add whenever he, or she, arrives! Hope everything else is fine with MJ and yourself. Happy trails to you.
                  Last edited by farrwf; 05-10-2017, 01:51 PM.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Good to hear from you, Jim. I think.of Spirit every time I see a Newfie.
                    Criss has been gone for 8 years and I still miss her. They stay in your heart forever.

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Comment

glad to hear from you Jim and hope you get the new addition to the family soon
                      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Although losing our babies is tough and no puppy can ever replace them, the energy of a new life is invigorating. I missed Maggie and was so very lonely even after six months, that I decided to get a puppy. She is not really like Maggie at all but she is still special. There is just something about a silly, cute pup that really helps heal your heart. I remember feeling a little guilty at first to be truly happy again but Maggie always lived life to the fullest so I know she would approve. Spirit will too. Hope you get news soon!
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I got all choked up and teary-eyed reading your post. Always good to hear from you.

I, too, lurk, but don't post often.

Forever grateful to our friends here.

Keep us posted on your new edition! Hoping it's this summer!
                          Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Good to read up on you, Jim! Wishing you well.
                            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

So glad to see an update on you and MJ. Hope both of you are well.

The new 'pup' will have a wonderful home, and be the lucky one. Hoping the arrival is soon.

Barb
                              Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Working...
                              X