No announcement yet.

Grand Lady Snickers passes away April 21, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help! I accidentally gave my dog too much insulin!

Very good. Home testing really eliminates the guess work. It kept her safe and eased your mind at the same time.

Nice
    Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
    Diabetes: Aug 2013
    Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
    Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I'm just checking in with a mid-year update on Snickers.

She is doing pretty good overall but her age and arthritis are catching up with her. I was able to get her to swim at the lake a fair amount and she just went to the annual k-9 splash event for dogs at our local pool. She usually uses a life jacket so when you first put her in she just floats around and doesn't paddle. I assume the floating is a relief on her joints. In shallow water she will plant her front legs on the bottom and just let her back end float.

Last week I started giving her turmeric and it seems to be helping her joints a lot. I was never able to combat the loss of appetite and other side effects she experienced with her arthritis meds so I stopped. The turmeric is a pain to deal with (it stains, needs to be combined with oil and pepper) but I was shocked what a difference it has made so I will be keeping it up.

Her insulin needs have been dropping steady since March and she is down to 6.5 units 2x a day (she was at 8 in March). Don't know exactly why but I guess it doesn't matter, does it?

Anyway, we are just taking it one day at a time and we hope everyone enjoys the holiday weekend coming up!
      Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Nice update and glad snickers is doing well . Interesting on turmeric and helping with arthritis hope it continues to help . I get a picture of snickers just standing still floating and gives me a chuckle .

My jesse is getting older she is not fly girl anymore as she runs and flys into the bed but misses the mark now. In her mind she can still do it . Getting old doesnt mean its not as much fun its just a different kind of fun

My theory with needing less insulin is i believe the liver doesnt store as much sugar as they get older so you would need less insulin . Good catch .
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It really is pretty funny to see her float - she lists to one side but she is still so dignified and unfazed by it all. She's like the Judy Dench of the dog neighborhood. The other dogs always settle down around her and give her respect. One young dog at the pool kept bringing her tennis balls like he was trying to get her approval.
          Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Great she's active, happy & healthy at 17, ... not to mention doing well with her diabetes management!

Kudos to you for taking great care of your girl.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Snickers 3rd Sugarversary and 18th Birthday!

Snickers passed her 3 year milestone for surviving diabetes earlier this month. As a bonus she is celebrating her 18th birthday this week! We do not have an exact date - she was dropped off at the shelter right after she was born and we adopted her when she was 6 weeks old - so we assigned the week before Christmas as her birthday.

Not surprisingly she is slowing down and sleeping a lot. Recently she lost the ability to get up on all fours on her own unless she puts in a hurculean effort and is on a non-slippery surface. Snickers still goes for a walk every day and seems pretty content. We recently took two trips with her and she did great - I think the stress is just enough to energize her and the change does her good.

Snickers and I wish everyone a safe and happy Holiday Season!

Comment

Wow what a nice update . I think snickers is the oldest dog on the forum with diabetes . I think nibbles was 17

To have such an older dog to begin treating diabetes and continue 3 years later is a testament to snickers tenacity for life and the good care she receives

congrats
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

Happy Birthday to Snickers! Well done
                  Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
                  Diabetes: Aug 2013
                  Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
                  Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Happy Birthday Snickers!!!!
                    Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Wow, 18 and 3 of those years with diabetes is impressive!! Happy Birthday!!

Comment

Happy Birthday to Snickers!

18 years old and 3 years diabetic, ... huge KUDOS for you two!
                        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Wow, 18 years even without diabetes is impressive. Just goes to show that diabetes doesn't need to negatively affect their health if well managed.
                          Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Snickers wants to thank everyone for the birthday wishes! I would also like to thank everyone on this forum because I don't think she would have made it if we hadn't found this site.

Comment

Snickers passed away yesterday evening at home, surrounded by her family.

She had pancreatitis in February and never really got her strength up after that. There were good days and bad days but eventually she lost her ability to walk any meaningful distances, even in the house.

She held on until the family gathered for Easter weekend and very much enjoyed "being with the gang" on Saturday. On Sunday, we knew her time was coming, although she never wanted to admit it. She fought to hang on until the very end and we were there to support her in her final transition.

Even though I knew this day would come I am still overcome with grief. Snickers was a dog like no other and I miss her so much it's hard to imagine I will ever recover.

I just want to thank everyone again for the support and information that is offered here. Our family gained an extra 3+ years after her diagnosis and we are forever grateful.

Comment

Snickers was amazing being diagnosed diabetic at such a senior age and continued for 3 years after that . Snickers was the oldest dog i have seen on the forum with diabetes . It shows the great care you provided and snickers zest for life making a great team . having all the people around that snickers loved and was close to is just a joy . She will be missed

Comment

Working...
                                X