• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My cat Audrey has a mouth cancer

Thinking of you Yunhee. Extra hugs your way

Louise

Comment

We saw the oncologist yesterday. She thinks Audrey can last a few more weeks.
      She is still eating and wants to go outside. While it would not be too rash to put her to sleep now (she is in pain and uncomfortable obviously - and this is terminal), but she thinks I may regret doing it this weekend. The oncologist recently had to put her cat to sleep - in her case, her cat had always loved ice cream, and on the day of euthanasia, her cat just failed to show up for her ice cream and stayed in the bed all day for the first time. She says that on the day when Audrey stops begging to go outside and eating her food would be the day. As if to prove the oncologist's point, Audrey tried to escape to the yard all evening and even spent a better part of the night howling to go outside (along with her canine sister Amy - I am sure there were some foxes and coyotes in our yard, and both girls wanted to hunt these creatures).
      I've upped her pain meds to 3x a day from 2x.
      I am praying that I get as many relatively comfortable days with Audrey as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrysMom View Post
        I am praying that I get as many relatively comfortable days with Audrey as possible.
        We hope so, too! Thanks for the update.

Mary
        Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
        Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
        Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
        Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

sounds like your vet is pretty wonderful.

I hope you get more days with her too. Fiesty girl!
          Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

oh, I agree. I hope you have many many days with her. Best, Cebe
            Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I agree with your vet. The twice daily walks have always been the highlight of Buddy's day and when he no longer wanted to go with his daddy and sis, we knew it was the end. By then, he was refusing food, treats but the walks were the strongest indicators.

Even when he was so very very sick when first diagnosed, he still wanted his walks. He would walk for 5 minutes and we'd carry him the rest of the way.

Enjoy every moment you have with your girl and take good care of yourself

Louise

Comment

Adding my prayers to this Yunhee.
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Agreed! It's the little things like that ice cream which really tell us when they are ready. My little Nina..my cat...she wouldn't go to bed and spent the night in the sink...that's when I knew. She always LOVED to sleep with me...well, with anyone warm and when she didn't...it was time.

Same will happen with you but right now...enjoy! Hugs!
                  Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Just checking in Yunhee. Hope your are getting quality time with Audrey.
                    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

Good - thanks. She is still eating and alert.
                      Now, I am dealing with my other 20 yo cat, James. I had to take him to his vet on Friday because he was constipated. They had to x-ray him to make sure before doing the enema - they found a possible lung tumor (small). Their old radiologist was there doing an ultrasound at the same time (not on James, but on another pet), and he was kind enough to take a look, and he saw a small tumor / cancer. Their new radiologist (they changed the company they send the x-rays to) thinks it was some change due to bronchitis. No symptoms. We will need to re-xray in about three weeks.
                      I just came back from an ER vet because Jame was drinking a ton of water and crying since Friday (also not eating). The ER vet though he was dehydrated, but his BG was high (in 300s). He is 20 yo, and the last blood panel on Friday did not indicate diabetes. The ER vet thought that this was due to stress, but with his drinking, I am not so sure.
                      Thank goodness - I do have AlphaTrak - will take his blood glucose reading later when he settles down from the ER vet visit.

Comment

Yunhee,

Oh my goodness, you and your clan have been going through an awful lot lately. Sending healing thoughts your way. What are the age ranges of them?
                        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

20 is very old for a cat. I had a 21 yr old cat who had similar symptoms for a while. Their kidneys just start to give out. For our old cat the symptoms were lots of water consumption and urination. We never tested her blood sugar because it was more likely that it was her kidneys. She ended up with heart trouble and declined pretty fast earlier this summer. I know it's hard. I'm with you 1000%. We didn't want to do any heroics with Cleo or diagnostics really, because she was so old but we did treat her symptoms and honestly we waited too long to put her down, which made me question myself with Abby. Though I know it was the right decision for Abby.

You are having a tough time right now but it's amazing that you have such elderly pets and I think that's a testament to your dedication and abilities to care for your pets.

Comment

Cebe,
                            That is the weird thing - his kidney values were normal. There was nothing in his blood panel to indicate that he would be thirsty (the Friday's test showed normal blood glucose, too).
                            He is still not eating. Still whiny. Still passing watery poop from the enema. I may have to ask for appetite stimulant.

Comment

Barb,
                              I have 2 20 yo cats, a 13 yo dog (Harry) and a 11 yo dog (Amy). If I ever have multiple pets again, I am going to widely space out this age thing. This is not fun.

Comment

I agree. It's not fun to have an aging pet population. We have a family dog who was elderly, and she was the first to pass this summer. Then my old cat. Now my younger cat. It's very hard.

Interesting that the kidney values were normal. That knocks out my theory. But, I wouldn't run to the insulin bottle yet.

I'm really sorry that you are having to deal with all of this at once. I completely sympathize because it's been that kind of summer for me too.

(I was up all night with a vomiting cat, and I'm not sure why).

Comment

Working...
                                X