GSD diagnosed at 12 weeks, glucose still high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSD diagnosed at 12 weeks, glucose still high

I have a GSD puppy who was diagnosed 12 weeks with juvenile diabetes. She has been a worry and we are doing everything we can. She is 21 pounds now at 16 weeks. Presently on Levemir 1 unit bid. Her sugars are still high. We've done several glucose curves her lowest at 139 six hours after morning dose. She is on Royal Canin development with a grain free kibble. I'm looking for any suggestions on regulating her. She is so sweet we love her.

Re: GSD diagnosed at 12 weeks, glucose still high

Are you doing curves or just spot checks?

At 139, the insulin dose can't go any higher.

Levemir wouldn't be my first choice for regulating a puppy because you can't finetune the dose with its approximately four-times-greater potency in dogs. Vetsulin or NPH would give you much more flexibility in dosing.

When you say the blood sugar is high, how high is it and for how long?

Natalie

Comment

Re: GSD diagnosed at 12 weeks, glucose still high

It's best to see all the numbers in the curves, to see how big a difference the low to high is. 139 as a low is pretty good.

If she is not peeing and drinking a lot, she may be close to regulated.
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
      X