Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Syringes and Injections

Syringes and Injections Posts from the Diabetes Forum about syringes and giving injections

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Shot-time Dilemmas-Your Experiences & Fixes, PLEASE!

Oh gosh you guys, I mean seriously I could be thinking that I just don't have the will to do all of this "diabetes" handling, and then I come here and you guys give such words of encouragement that I know I can get up and do it.

Carol W, Kathy, Cush, Jo-Ann & Lady and Natalie, thank you so much for all your advice.

Natalie I definitely agree with you that a lot of it has to do with mine and Princess's relationship. I have definitely always been the one that instead of having her know who's in control, have tried and catered to her every need just to make her happy.

With the diabetes being diagnosed I promised myself in the beginning that I was going to be one of those who decides that " I AM GOING TO DO THIS", because her health is more important than my emotional feelings. I think a lot of it is that I have a South American family (mother primarily), and they all feel I'm going too strict on all of this and that I should lighten up (i.e. schedules, injections, monitoring).

ESPECIALLY my mother, who despite me arguing with her "You think I ENJOY injecting her? I'm doing it so that she lives and that so we don't find her one day on the ground in a coma or worse DEAD" seems to get on me every time for having to inject the poor baby. I see where she's coming from, as getting injected would be fun for nobody, especially twice the day, but I think I will just have to calmly tell her that this is for her own good and if I didn't have to, I definitely wouldn't. But I love her more then to just ignore a disease that could potentially take her life.

But enough with all my worries/concerns, I'll save that for my therapist sister

I'll keep you guys posted. I'm going to start giving her pretend shots right now so that she at least is a little more calm about it for her 9:20PM shot tonight.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Natalie you sound so much like me, it's scary! I think our other Natalie can attest to that! I was totally freaked out by the shots and Min Pins are hyper dogs! At least mine is.

It took awhile and a few missed shots. The only thing that helped and continues to help is FOOD! I buy diabetic cookies and I break them up into smaller pieces. I have to get his mind off the shot and he's a real foodaholic.

It became easier to do once I calmed down too. I used to shake everytime I did it. Sometimes I would just sob after the shot.

I'm not saying this happened overnight, but it really does get better. Once you are calmer, you'll know by instinct how fast to inject, where the best injection spot is (for your and princess's comfort), and how to handle the needle when they wiggle, etc.

It comes with practice. Someday, you'll be just like me! Hysterical about something else!

Hugs to you and Princess. You are really doing a wonderful job with her!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:13 PM

Hi there!

I was just reading through some of the ideas here on this thread...here's an idea that you could do step by step (combining many of the ideas that have been said).

Have your baby lay down and stay and place a treat a few feet away from her (that is, if she is good at sit/stay). Do a pretend shot and release her, have her lay/stay and give pretend shot and release her to get the treat. Keep repeating, then give her a real shot and release her.....

My Soaphie girl will do ANYTHING for tomatoes so that's what she gets after her shot. Honestly? I don't think she even feels it - there isn't even a bit of flinching. She finally moves after I pull my hands away from her body - not right after I pull out the needle. (KNOCK ON WOOD - hope I'm not jinxing myself now).

Good luck to you - I know you will figure it out - there are many people here to offer ideas and support.

Tami
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Interim CC

I believe some people smear some peanut butter or something similar on the fridge door at shot time as a distraction - probably wouldn't work with all dogs though.

I love the idea of giving dummy shots - my Zac (no medical conditions and lets keep it that way!) is very wary and uptight about having his Advantix applied (I think the first time we used it he may have had a tiny scratch on his skin and it does sting on broken skin) so I think I'll do something similar with regards that. He's got better over the last year but it is still something that scares him - fortunately he takes it like a good doggy despite this. When my daughter was little she needed quite a bit of medical testing at one point and playing with syringes and giving dummy shots really helped stop her becoming fearful so I don't know why I didn't ever think of doing that with Zac......

The funny thing is when the vet put in his microchip he didn't even notice - he was too busy cleaning up the liver treats that had "got spilled" on the floor.

I would think if a dog was being a real problem with shots and you couldn't overcome the problem yourself that getting help from a good behaviorist could help. You would need to find someone with whom you are philosophically compatible so to speak and with who's methods you and your family are comfortable as approaches vary.

Alison
Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 PM

Lucy is a real food gobbler. I slow her down by doing clicker training with her meal kibble as rewards.

One of our commands is "still." Sometimes I hold her lip back like we do for her BG test & sometimes I fiddle with her neck scruff like she was getting a shot. She gets rewarded for holding still.

Having said that, lately I've had to be more patient while she settles down. Her energy level has been really improving. When we started she would just lay there while I gave her shot.

I am going to give the "pretend shot" thing a try.

Rick
Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Founding Member

I also remember reading about someone who would always give pretend shots to her other dogs when her diabetic dog was getting his/her real shot. After all, they wanted to get treats too!

So they'd all line up and she'd give the real shot to the diabetic dog, then give that dog a treat ... and then she'd give pretend shots to all of her non-diabetics, with their treats given immediately after too, of course.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Interim CC

When Mia had her Lysodren, Zac had to have a small ball of cream cheese too - of course. Just had to be real careful not to get them muddled up - I always squashed his completely flat just to be sure.

Alison
Old 02-17-2009, 03:36 AM
Founding Member

I found the 31 gauge short needle did work well, but with me and Niki she has a new shot area, she sits and I have to play acrobat and get around her to do a shot above her leg/hip area.

The 29 gauge are helpful for when I have to go under the skin and get some angle with the needle, the short ones make that hard to do.

We are having trouble with injections cause she lost weight, I was using for a distraction some of the squeeze cheeze out the can, this worked for awhile, I remembered my one vet doing this while she gave the vaccinations.

Also I would try too using a needle with nothing in the syringe and try some areas to see if you can inject there, I am amazed at times it does not hurt Niki, but then at times it does.

I will have to think some more about this.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 02-17-2009, 05:12 AM
Founding Member

Even though I had already had a diabetic dog, when we discovered Ricky was diabetic, I was, once again, a nervous wreck about the injections. He was initially put on Vetsulin, and we were using the syringes from the vet. He was not taking the shots well, and I was getting more and more shaky and nervous with each injection problem. I discovered that the needle was 29 gauge, and I thought "That's the problem!!"...I don't know what worked, or if it was a combination of things, but this is what we did...I sit on the bed and let Ricky sit in between my legs. (Hard to do when you are my age!!) I used a soft muzzle on him, thinking it might calm him down. I inject him in the side of the neck area, so I just get him to lie on his side, pull up a tent of skin, and inject. We switched to the smaller gauge needle, and with the muzzle, and the fact that I decided it had to happen, and I had to do it..so I calmed down..we made it work. We are at it now for a year and a half, I still use the muzzle (I don't need it, and it is VERY loose, but he waits for it to be put on and I think it comforts him), and the shots are the least of our worries. Please don't give yourself a hard time about this, it is a big deal in the beginning. You can do it.

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky
Old 02-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Founding Moderator

Default Re: Niki's story

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/...edproducts.htm

"Holding an ice cube against the skin for several minutes can also numb the skin."

We tried this a while back for someone's dog who was having problems when he got his shot. It takes a little longer with a dog because you need to hold it there long enough for the cold to get past the fur. Our "test dog" was a samoyed, so you know how thick that type of fur is. It worked fine.

Maybe this can replace the OraGel/Anbesol--nothing but frozen water.

Kathy
Closed Thread