disposal of syringes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• disposal of syringes...

What is the best way to dispose syringes and lancits? Putting them in the regular trash?

Re: disposal of syringes...

http://www.epa.gov/osw/education/pdfs/han-care.pdf

this is what my diabetic friend sent me when i asked. basically in a hard container (ie. detergent bottles, oil bottles, etc.) then tape around the cap. then into the trash.

Comment

I take a gallon milk jug, fill it up and seal and tape around the lid. You might call your local waste management office(if you have municipal trash pick up). Some have guidelines already set in place.
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I bought sharps containers from CVS that had packing supplies to send the full sharps containers to a hazardous waste disposal site.
        Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Thanx y'all! Didn't want to supply the local druggies, ya know...

Comment

I rinse out a laundry detergent bottle and use that as my container. When it's full, I tape up the cap very securely then put a sign on it that says DO NOT RECYCLE and I put it in the regular trash.

Comment

It might be different here in the UK but we collect them in a plastic bottle then give it to the vet when full.
              They seem happy enough to take it and don't charge (even though we buy neither insulin nor syringes from them as they are cheaper on the internet!).
              Antonia
              Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

every state has different rules. In Minnesota we are allowed to use the laundry detergent bottle and write sharps on it and duct tape it. Here is a map http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.a...=7002&id=10284
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I am in New York and the pharmacy told me in any container is fine. I use my empty coffee containers, but I brake the needle first by pushing on any hard surface and then I put both caps back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Pati View Post
                    What is the best way to dispose syringes and lancits? Putting them in the regular trash?
                    i use to use a softener container from the wash...and when it was full i would duck tape the top so it couldnt open and then put it in two bags and throw it away...thats what my vet told me to do..
                    sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...

Comment

In California you have to put them in container, then take to a hazardous waste site, However, there is a little thing you can buy at Walgreens, that cuts the needle off. It is about the size of our lancet, and it holds 1500, then you can just throw the syringe in the trash!!!!!It is Great no more fuss....
                      Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

In my area, I buy a sharps container from the trash hauling company, and hand deliver back to their office when full.

Craig
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I bring mine back to the vet
                          they have no problem disposing of them for me

Comment

http://www.safeneedledisposal.org

listing of methods by state.

Comment

Working...
                            X