Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Humalog

Hello Folks,
    It is my first time posting here and I am looking for other peoples experience with Humalog.
    My dog is a 13 yr old Boston Terrier who also has meggaesophagus and EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency). She currently is on Honest kitchen Force food which is high protein low fiber for her EPI, It is also a consistency that slips down her throat nicely for the meggae. She stays upright after feeding for 15 min. to be sure all the food makes it to her belly. Because of these other two conditions changing her food isn't an option.
    The problem I am having with her is due to (I believe) the enzymes predigesting the food so that she goes quite high and then stays there for upto 5-6 hrs. This is a very consistent pattern with her. I have tried giving her the human enzyme creon to see if it would help the situation, but it hasn't.
    I have gotten a script from my vet for the Humalog and will be starting to use that soon.
    A typical pattern for Ruby would be starting in the 200s for a fasting and then going as high as 300 additional points to get to a 500 and not starting to come down for 5 hrs.
    Her usual dose of NPH is 2U. The vet and i discussed starting very conservatively with the humalog at 1/10U. I plan to wait a 1/2 hr before giving the humalog and then testing every 1/2 hr to see how it is affecting her.
    I am reading the book Using Insulin and would greatly appreciate input.
    Thanks, Tara
    Tara in honor of Ruby.
    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Re: Questions about Humalog

Tara, sorry I cannot help with answers, but I would like to welcome you and Ruby and assure you that the 'experts' here will respond to your questions!

Welcome and Boston Terriers are so cute!

Comment

we do not use humalog we use humulin r it is a fast acting also for my jesse it starts in a half hour peaks in 2 and is all but done for jesse in 4 hours and all dogs dont process insulin the same i believe humalog starts faster and ends sooner

just because of the duration of the rise i would think the r would be more appropriate and you do not need a sscript in most places and allot less expensive but that just my choice

my jesse may use a half to a quarter of a unit with 5 units of nph

giving a fast acting insulin should be given with caution you should be able to home test regularly just to see how your baby reacts and should have a well established pattern of rising early .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi Tara,
        I've used Humalog with my dog. Lately, for us, it will get started within 10-15 min and is out by around 3 hours. Eileen's Mildred also used Humalog and it lasted longer for her.

I use syringes with 1/2 unit markings on them, then microdose from there.

1/16 unit will allow a very small rise (perhaps 30 points) in my dog, then she'll drop from there.

1/8 unit can initially keep her level when given at meal time then drop her about 80 points.

I measure 1/8u by lining up the bottom of the lip on the black plunger with the 1/2 unit line. So the top of the plunger is almost at zero but with a hair of space.

To measure 1/16u I turn the syringe to see the end of the zero line and allow the plunger to just barely touch it. I do this under a bright light, use a magnifier to check, and position it so I know where I want it before drawing up the insulin.

I also make sure my syringes sit right at the zero mark. Some syringes may go a bit past zero or sit just above, so be careful of that.

I know my dog is quite sensitive to insulin changes in general but starting quite small in dose is a good idea until you know how your dog responds.

As Jessegirl said, Humulin R might be another consideration if you are looking for longer duration - around 6 hours.

Sounds like you have a good vet and are cautious with your approach. Always good to hear

Let us know what you decide and how it goes,
        Patty
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks JayneN for your warm welcome.

Thanks Jesse Girl.
          I have opted for the Humalog because I am nervous about any overlap, but will keep the R in mind if the Humalog doesn't last long enough in Ruby.

Thanks Patty.
          I will try the humalog first and see how that goes. The times and amounts that you provided are a great refence. When you first started giving the Humalog did you cut your basal insulin dose and if so by how much?
          Are you using the doses you mention (1/8, 1/16) for the golden in your . I am thinking of starting at 1/10 but if you are using 1/16th for a golden??? Ruby only weighs 16#.
          Could you give me some fasting numbers that help guide you in whether to give the larger or smaller dose?

Thanks again to all
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.

Comment

Yes, that's for my 47 lb golden. But keep in mind I also move in 1/8 unit increments of NPH for her. She's just unusually sensitive to insulin.

Because I use Humalog as a correction for her, I usually don't decrease my N. If you wanted to be on the cautious side, you could decrease your N by the amount you are using of Humalog. This is what we often recommend for those trying R.

When I use Humalog as a correction, it's because she's gotten a large rise at then end of her curve and I know her food will push her higher before her N has a chance to kick in. So upper 200s/lower 300s I'll use a 1/16u. Mid to upper 300s I use 1/8u.

But you are also working with more of a mountain shape curve so may not see the drop I do. Ali usually starts coming down on her N by 1.5 to 2 hours.

Patty
            Last edited by Patty; 03-27-2012, 08:32 PM.
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Welcome to you and Ruby! I don't know much about the humalog but I did want to say hello and tell you that I was glad you found us here! Sounds like you are already getting some great advice! Take care and welcome again!
              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

I have no experience with Humalog, nor even R insulin, so can't offer any suggestions along those lines, but I'm very glad to see you here, Tara, with your Ruby, and want to extend my personal Big, Fat Welcome to you, to this magnificent forum on canine diabetes!

Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:34:12 (PDT)
                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                CarolW

Comment

I wanted to add we have another member here whose dog has EPI. I know this can cause sometimes erratic changes in blood sugar. I would want to establish a very consistent pattern if you are thinking of adding Humalog on a daily basis.

If one day you have a bowl shape curve and another day a big rise, for example, Humalog may wind up complicating the picture.

Comment

Thanks CarolW for the warm welcome.

Thanks Patty for the the additional info. I will post regarding the EPI to see if the other member jumps in.
                    In the past when ruby was on the injectable B12 she would vary with her food rise, but since I have switched her to the oral b12 (with intrinsic factor as is needed for EPI) her food rise has been consistent. She has been on that for awhile now.
                    I have been contemplating making this change for awhile and therefore have been gathering the data which shows this extended food rise to be consistent.

Thanks again, Tara
                    Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Hi Tara,

As you know I have reservations with the use of Humalog for Ruby in your particular situation given her additional health issues, unsteady numbers and also for the fact that you work away from home and can not be there to monitor her on a regular basis.

My fear is that it can take Ruby too low at a time when she did not have the large food spike yet has Humalog in her system and with no one there to help her.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Thanks for the response Eileen. I would disagree that her numbers are unsteady. Her trends have been quite steady. I know you are concerned, but in good conscience I cannot allow ruby to have these high numbers for almost half the day and unfortunately still need to work. She will be monitored closely on the days when humalog is used. When I am confident about the trends when the humalog is in play I will then implement it on work days also.
                        Tara
                        Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

You must realize that by using Humalog to bring her numbers down on some days but then not on others you will be adding inconsistency.

You know my thoughts...keep safety for Ruby foremost in your mind...I wish you luck!
                          Last edited by eileen; 03-28-2012, 02:03 PM.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Yes Eileen, I realize the inconsistency is not ideal. For safety reasons it has to happen initially until I see how she trends with the humalog. I don't anticipate it being inconsistent for long.
                            Tara
                            Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

so how is Ruby doing?
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                              X