Noodle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Noodle

Oops, posted before I read your post, Natalie.

No, he has never had pancreatitis. Any vomiting has always ended up being something he got into - usually outside, like a piece of bark or something. He also threw up some rawhide pieces, so we stopped giving him those as well.
    Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
      I really think he got into something that gave him gas and loose poop and you would be okay feeding him if you'd rather.
      Yes, I would SOOOO rather, lol. The face is killing me!

Should I pull back on the amount? Dry, canned, or both?

Just when I think I have things figured out, something shakes my confidence a bit. I wouldn't have worried too much about this situation and waited it out if he wasn't now diabetic as well.
      Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

I'm just thinking this is likely indigestion rather than, say, colitis, which is when I definitely do rest the GI for a meal or two.

How about a smallish meal of his usual food.

Natalie

Comment

Sounds great. Should I stick with the same amount of insulin - especially since he is so high (309)?

Comment

The beef jerky with Jack started with gas and then some loose poop and once it cleared his system he was fine again. To me, the gas is a big tip off that he got hold of something.

Comment

To me, the gas is a big tip off that he got hold of something.
              Oh, my lordy, it was awful! So I'm glad to hear it was a good sign in this case, lol!

Comment

Since you can usually give about half with no food, maybe 3/4? Or just cut it a unit or two.

There's not much you can do but trial and error. If he did rebound, his blood sugar could be high for another 24 hours or so. But it might not too so you have to just kind of wing it.

Natalie

Comment

Since you can usually give about half with no food, maybe 3/4? Or just cut it a unit or two.

There's not much you can do but trial and error. If he did rebound, his blood sugar could be high for another 24 hours or so. But it might not too so you have to just kind of wing it.

Natalie

Got 'cha - I'm thinking 30 units is safe since he was on that amount even before we started adding the additional food to increase his weight a bit. My husband has already agreed to switch off with me through the night so we can check his BG and take him out more frequently after he eats to make sure the diarrhea has stopped.

I always feel so much better after running things by this group. Thanks for the help and advice as always. *Big sigh of relief*

Comment

Tell Noodle I've got his back!

Natalie

Comment

Tell Noodle I've got his back!

Natalie
                      Finally he can stop looking at me with those huge eyes and the desperate look of, "Don't you realize you forgot to feed me?!?! How could you?!?!" He was pacing between me, my husband, and my daughter. Clearly he thought we had lost our minds, lol.

My husband just fed him and he is much more relaxed and content. He sends a huge, grateful kiss!

Comment

I was reading along last night Daisy but knew Natalie had it covered

They do work those "puppy dog eyes" don't they, LOL.

Hope Noodle's back to normal.
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

How's it going so far today?

Natalie

Comment

Yeah; I'd like to know too, how Noodle is doing today! It's surely good to have you back with us!

This past Saturday, Kumbi got into something on the verge - you described so well how tough it is to keep these dogs from grabbing stuff! I stay as vigilant as possible with Kumbi, but as you said, these dogs are FAST - never mind being blind; their ears and noses do the job!

Kumbi's glucose absolutely soared! I'd never seen a HI on my meter till this past Saturday evening. I got to see it twice, because, even knowing it takes the insulin about 1.5 hours to kick in, I did a check an hour after Kumbi's shot. Wasted test; silly me! By two hours after his shot, Kumbi had started down, and though his glucose was still WAY up there, an actual reading never looked so good to me, when it was so high!

Saturday, 22 May 2010

15:30 - 10.4 mmol/L = 187 mg/dL
                            18:30 - 26.3 mmol/L = 474 mg/dL
                            19:01 - HI - above 33.3 mmol/L = 600+ mg/dL (Insulin 6.5 iu; 19:00)
                            Ketones - negative; 19:05
                            20:01 - HI (above 33.3 mmol/L = above 600 mg/dL
                            21:00 - 30.7 mmol/L = 553 mg/d|L (relief!)
                            23:00 - 25.3 mmol/L = 456 mg/dL

By a couple of days later, things were looking more normal for Kumbi.

I surely hope Noodle recovers easily; it SOUNDS (so far), as though it might have been almost a non-event! - if Noodle ended up without any real gut-upset.

Cheering you on! Kumbi says Hi, fellow grabber Noodle!

Fri, 28 May 2010 10:00:52 (PDT)
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

Happy to report that, following last night's meal, nothing has made a sudden reappearance...from either end.

His business isn't back to normal, but definitely transitioning there and right on schedule this morning. His fasting BG this morning was 145 - higher than his norm, but not too bad at all.

So other than being a little tired today, since we woke him up every 3 hours to go out...just in case, you would never suspect the previous 24 hours of drama.

Carol, I'm glad Kumbi has returned to more normal BG after his big spike. Short of duck taping their mouths closed (they would probably find a way to eat that anyway, lol), I guess we will always have to just deal with the occasional repercussions of the sneaky little indiscriminate "snack" grabbers.

Thanks for the support ladies!

Comment

Great news! We sure do lose alot of sleep around here.
                                Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X