Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly diagnosed Flea

Hi,

my name is Eva and I live in the Netherlands with my husband, husky Flea and three cats. Flea is 14 years old since 17th November, has had pancreatitis controlled by fresh pancreas in his meals and has been diagnosed with diabetes + UTI on 24th of december.

The vet first thought of cushing, but the test was negative. His sugar was a little elevated, but not a lot. Because of the delayed diagnosis, we started a little late on insuline (12-25). He lost a lot of weight (for him, he never put on a lot of weight). He now weighs 22 kg.

We started him on 7 units of caninsulin. We give him his complete raw food diet (there are several brands of quality raw food in the Netherlands) for pancreatic dogs + a mixture of vegetables, oats, turmeric and a capsule of serene + pumpkinseed oil (for his prostate, without it he will have blood in his urine). He gets the same meal twice a day, 6.30 in the morning and 6.30 in the evening. I can make him eat so we give him his insuline right after he has eaten.

He has improved a lot in the past 1,5 weeks! He has more energy, drinks less, urinates less, has put on a tiny little bit of weight, wants to play again and barks for food.

My husband is handy in giving the insuline (I scare sometimes when he yelps a little bit). I am handy in checking his blood glucose. I got a freestyle freedom lite BG-meter. We checked it yesterday at the vet against his meter (he has one for dogs) and against a blood analysis. I got 6,8 (123), the pet-meter got 231 (!!!) and that's why we did another test with the machine. It got 177.

I found an explanation about what the difference between a humane and pet meter is. Glucose is measured in whole blood (blood cells and plasma) but the numbers you get and work with are glucose in plasma alone. In human blood glucose is divided 42% - 58% blood cells - plasma. In dog blood, glucose is divided 12,5% - 87,5% blood cells - plasma. Sure this is not a fixed number, but it would explain the difference I got between the humane meter and the analysis machine. (not the difference with the pet meter, I think it is broke or needs to be recalibrated). With this in mind, to check where Fleas BG is approximately, I divide his number by 58 and multiply with 87,5.

I want to stick to the humane meter. I'd rather be on the safe side and prevent a hypo instead of thinking Flea is a safe range while his real blood glucose is a lot lower.

I already did some mini-curves. They go from around 160-180 fasting in the morning to 105-125 at his lowest. Fasting in the evening is somewhat higher. Usually 170-200. This is the reading on the humane meter, no calculations done.

Yesterday at the vet, he was really pleased with the improvement Flea made. He told us he did that very quickly. He has tested Flea's urine and unfortunately he still has a UTI. He has already had two rounds of antibiotics, so now the vet has taken some sterile urine from his bladder to check what kind of bacteria he has, so he can give the kind of antibiotic that will finish the UTI. I would like to start to supplement D-mannose as well. I read on the forum that there are some of you that give this supplement. I am curious to know how much (in mg) you give. Do you know how much is safe to give?

I am very happy to have found this forum. I already used some of the tips about how to make injections a little bit less painful (get the chill off the insuline, tenting and holding the right side up).

Eva & Flea
    Last edited by -Flea-; 01-03-2019, 08:14 AM.

Re: Newly diagnosed Flea

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like things are going pretty good overall.

My dog uses d-mannose. She weighs about 34 lbs and I give her 1/2 scoop or 1.25 g once a day, sprinkled over her food. I can't remember where I came up with this number but I was under the impression that this supplement gets flushed out of the dogs system so there is little danger of overdosing them.
    Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Welcome and your off to a good start

The numbers you posted are really good but keep in mind once the UTI has cleared you may have to reduce the dose as infections may need more insulin do to higher sugar .

Great job testing sugar at home. It is wonderful to see our overseas neighbors testing sugar at home as sometimes vets frown upon it . . I have used a human meter on my jesse for over 8 years and she is also 14 now

I Had given jesse a partially raw diet for most of her diabetic life but i started cooking her homemade meal a year ago as her stools were not looking that great . The last thing raw in her meal that wasn't cooked was vegetables and i started cooking them also . For me i decided as she was older i thought the cooked food was easier to digest and eliminate any not so good bacteria from the equation as diabetic dogs are prone to more kinds of infections .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thank you for your replies.
        I bought the D-mannose today and will start in the evening.
        I also will keep in mind the possibility to cook his food, although I think it is important that the pancreas-portion of it stays raw as long as possible, so that the enzymes in it can help digest his food.

Comment

Ok, after a good start his numbers went up from 18th januari. Flea also was more fatigued again. We had a telephone conversation with the vet and he advised us to go up a unit to 8. My mum (a nurse) told me that in older humans with diabetes she frequently sees that at the onset of diabetes the pancreas still produces some insuline, but after the start of injecting insulin, the pancreas completely stops. That causes a rise in blood sugar and asks for an increase in insuline doses.

After 5 days of nice numbers Flea suddenly started to be stressed out by the noise of our cat miauling. It is a (deaf) kitten that is with us from the beginning of december. He makes the sound from the beginning and Flea never showed such stress. He was panting heavily and trembling. He wanted to stand next to me all the time. Going out was a relief. He could relax, his tail went up again and he felt happy, until we went home...
          Last thursday my husband went to see the vet with him. He measured his BS and it was high (not as high as the numbers I see here sometimes, but higher than normal). He wanted us to change the insuline to 9. That was 6 days after the first increase. He wanted me to do a curve in the weekend.

We were very much puzzled by the sudden onset of the stress. We took the cats upstairs to sleep so his nights could be without their noise or playing. During the day, when the cats would wake up and could make noise, we separated them from the dog.

Yesterday I did a curve. Here are his numbers from the start of the 9 units

thursday
          6.00 PM 13,4 before meal and 9U insuline (at 6.30)
          8.30 PM 10,7
          9.30 PM 7,9

friday
          6.00 AM 11,5 before meal and 9U insuline (at 6.30)
          1.30 PM 5,8
          3.30 PM 7,1

saturday
          6.00 AM 8,6 before meal and 9U insuline (at 6.30)
          8.30 AM 7,6
          10.30 AM 7,6
          12.30 9,3
          2.30 PM 12,5
          4.30 PM 14,3
          6.00 PM 14,7 before meal and 8U insuline (at 6.30)
          8.30 PM 11,5
          10.30 PM 6,4

sunday (today)
          6.00 AM 14,2 before meal and 7,5U insuline (at 6.30)
          8.30 AM 11,8
          10.30 AM 12,7

I changed back to 8U and this morning to 7,5U because I suspect the stress coming from a too quickly dropping BS and rebound effect. Today he is much less stressful. He recovers much more quickly from being scared.
          His numbers are still high but if what I suspect is true, than the stress-hormones in his body are still working his BS up.

What do you think of my analyses and actions?
          Did I do a good thing by changing back to 7,5U?

Thank you for helping out.
          Eva

Comment

Nice work with the home testing!

Stress can certainly cause fluctuations in BG numbers, but I don’t think you are seeing rebound here.

Along with eliminating diabetic symptoms, our goal is to keep his BG in the 150mg(8.3mmol) - 250mg(13.9mmol) range for most of the day, so his BG numbers look really good, even on the Saturday curve on 9 units. You’re not seeing big swings in BG.

Dropping back to 7.5 units won’t hurt anything. Whatever you do, just stay with the dose for 7 days and do another curve along with spot checks before the curve.

Maybe he’s just annoyed by the cats noise making.
            Last edited by MikeMurphy; 01-27-2019, 07:27 AM.
            Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
            Diabetes: Aug 2013
            Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
            Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Just remember changing doses needs time to get the true picture of what that dose will do. Unless numbers are getting too low all the time, leave a new dose for a week, and test the potential low times, along with fastings.

Early on things will be inconsistent for many reasons.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Working...
              X