Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Default Patience 2 Mary Jo 0

Well once again i believe patience is winning out. Here are the events since last night. I believe I caused the problem that presented itself this morning.
The lesson I have to get through my head is that the moment I inject insulin it does NOT start working.

Yesterday afternoon Abbey was 322 about 3;00 p.m. or so, I was concerned because we have dropped the dose and her numbers were creeping. We were waiting for patience to step in and drop the numbers. Well once again it did. I tested Abbey at 8:30 pm a moment before feeding and she was 89. She ate her entire meal and I gave her insulin.

I was scared she might drop lower and i did not take into consideration that A: the meal was going to raise the sugar and B: the insulin was not going to kick in the moment she ate (at 89). So at 12:00 midnight I gave her a small snack ad then at 3:00 am I gave her a small snack (fearful, because I could not get that 89) out of my head. Well at 8:30 am she tested 405. I have no doubt I caused it by the 2 snacks that i gave in the night fearful of that 89 number which was prior to eating.

I hate that my mistake causes bad things for her. But for my learning purposes does it seem reasonable that I caused the high AM BG so that I will not do it again?
Thanks, Mary Jo
Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Patience 2 Mary Jo 0

Yes I think thats probably it. Given the 89 though, we need to watch it. I'd test again at her nADIR to see how things are going. Given she was high this am, her numbers are going to be off some. I would have tested at 12 before giving food. That would have given you peace of mind. When you are concerned about a high or a low, test
Old 02-06-2011, 02:06 PM

Default Abbey's Infection

Hello. Well another day, another saga. Abbey has had a problem with anal sac glands on two other occasions so I do look at them. I have been so absorbed with the diabetes in the last 30 days since diagnosis I have not paid much attention to the rear end. Well she has been fine and suddenly this morning scooting terribly. She had a huge, swollen area on her rear, I knew she needed to have it drained. so off to emergency vet we go. they did an incision and drainage, irrigated it and she is on clindomycin. i will also do warm soaks to the area. We are supposed to leave for vacation on Friday (she goes with us) so if it had to happen glad it was today Sunday.

Now as for her numbers. For the past couple of days she has been creeping up. We did cut her dose so I thought that was why. However from what I have read infections can make glucose rise.

I hope once we get the infection cleared up that we will be on our way once again toward getting some decent numbers.

Do you think the infected anal sac could be causing some higher numbers? Thank you. Mary Jo
Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Abbey's Infection

Yes infection can cause higher numbers and so do antibiotics, so her numbers may be higher for the next week
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Default Update Abbeys high numbers and anal gland infection

Hello. I was waiting a few days to see how things were going before posting. Abbey is still on the reduced insulin 6 units down frm 6 1/2 units. She has been on the reduced dose for about 5 days now. In the meantime, as previously posted on Sunday she blew up with infected anal glands. She had an incision and drainage and is on Clinibiotic (clindomycin). The infection seems to be looking much better. I keep the incision open for continuous drainage and do warm soaks. She appears to be coming along quite well as far as that is concerned. She will be on the antibiotic for 2 weeks.

Her numbers are terrible. mid 400's down to only high 300's. I am watching those ketones every 2-4 hours. So far only trace. I understand that infection and antibiotics will raise these numbers. I am hoping that is why the numbers are so high and that she has not yet settled in and dropped down in numbers from the new lower dose. 6 1/2 was too much we decided as she was getting a few readings of 89, 90,. etc. That is why we decided to reduce the dose and the advise of the Form.

Question: antibiotics and infection can raise numbers. If the infection clears up BUT she is still on the antibioti (she has another 12 days left) will the numbers remain high just because of the antibiotic?

In other words, I am hopeful that in a day or two, as the infection gets more under control that we might see numbers drop?

We will be leaving NY for Fla on Friday and I am a nervous wreck. However, I have a list of the Emergency Veterinary Clinics along our route.

Also, right now my biggest concern is the ketoacidosis. Here is my question for that also. Does that usually present itself out of the blue when people have no idea their dog is diabetic and the dog is not on ANY insulin. In otherwords since Abbey is on insulin 6 units twicea day do we have a better chance of it not happening?

I would appreciate some help regarding the question of antibiotic and numbers and the keto. thank you so much. Mary Jo
Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 AM

Default Re: As numbers drop need help with now what dosage

Both the infection as well as the antibiotic can affect their glucose levels. Even when it appears the infection may be clear the antibiotic can still have an affect.

Monitoring for ketones is something we should do especially with higher glucose levels.
But, I know first hand it is not a foul proof method as some time back Mil was facing higher bgs. I carefully watched her ketones and never saw more than a trace.
In taking her to her vet it was discovered she was in ketoacidosis which I treated by administering subq's and rapid acting insulin.

Just watch for signs as well as carefully monitoring for ketones.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Founding Member

my jesse had one of those anal sack infections that bust had the procedure didnt work the fist time went to a different vet and it worked the second time but it wasnt pretty for over a month and a half before the second procedure it sounds like your dog is healing quick that is good

what I did every day I wouldn't just look at my post but everyones post every day to get ideas its amazing you can find just one little thing that can make a difference
Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Default abbeys infection and higher bg

Hi Eileen: Thank you for the post and the information. So many questions that only experience can answer and gosh knows you folks have that. Will watch those "tones". Not funny, but I have said this before in a previous post (as my mom is endstage alzheimers) that in order to get through very tough ordeals we have to try to find some humor, somewhere. So my husband has taken to asking me, "Hows Abbey and the Ketones). He said it sounds like a girl band from the 50's. Thanks again for the quick reply.
Mary Jo
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Default abbeys infection and higher bg

Thank you Jessegirl, I guess these anal sac infections can be terrible. I never saw it coming and I am all over that little dog everyday. Yes, she does seem to be doing pretty well since the procedure on Sunday, atleast she acts much more comfortable. Cure one problem (the infection) and get another problem by higher bgs due to the infection and medicine. Yikes.
Mary jo and Abbey
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Founding Member

jesse had it about 6 months ago I am the same checking her like a hawk every day It came up so quick I was walking her in the desert she did a skoot on her butt and there it was the vet said it cant happen that quick but what I believed happened is by scooting outside in the dirt it got irritated and flamed up pretty quick