Mickey Has diabetes possible Cushings too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mickey Has diabetes possible Cushings too

HI Im new to this forum but have been posting at caninecushings.net for a little over a week, Mickey my 15 lb bichon/poodle has diabetes. he is on 4 units of Vetsulin 2 times a day.. I have a quick question to ask. Do all dogs with diabetes go blind? any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Re: Mickey Has diabetes possible Cushings too

Hi Dori!!

I just saw your thread over at the Cushings board and am very happy to hear that Mickey has started insulin.

But... I think these forums need something besides a frownie face you can use to express how you feel!!!

Regarding your question...

Many dogs with diabetes do go blind from cataracts caused by the high blood sugar. The best thing you can do to avoid cataracts, and sometimes it isn't possible to avoid them, is to get really good control over Mickey's blood sugar right away and maintain it. Once the cataracts get going, it can be impossible to stop them so you want to try to prevent them from starting.

Here's a link to a really good page about diabetes-induced cataracts: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1945&SourceID=

In my four plus years associated with forums for diabetic dogs I've seen some dogs who never got cataracts, some who developed them slowly over time, and some who developed them very quickly. I'd say about a third of the dogs I'm acquainted with eventually had cataract surgery.

Many of us chose not to do the surgery or our dogs weren't good candidates. Usually, blindness is something dogs deal with fairly well, much better than their people do. So if it happens, know it's not the end of the world. My dog has been blind for almost four years now and he walked, swam, waded, and travelled until he recently got too old to do any of that.

Home blood glucose testing is the very best way to monitor your dog's blood sugar so I really really encourage you to consider learning how to do it. Little dogs like Mickey are often tested on the back at the base of the tail and there's a photo tutorial available that shows you how it's done: http://www.mnsi.net/~queenie/bloodtail.html

There are also videos of other test methods on the BG testing page: www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html.

Also, there's a discussion of how to monitor your dog's blood sugar: www.k9diabetes.com/monitoring.html and on how insulin and food interact: www.k9diabetes.com/insulinfood.html.

The best thing about checking blood sugar instead of urine is you can test for low blood sugar. Some dogs on Vetsulin get a steep drop in blood sugar from the insulin so you will want to see how Mickey handles it.

Did the vet tell you what to do in response to low blood sugar?

Did she change his diet?

Natalie

Comment

FYI, the main website on diabetes and dogs is www.k9diabetes.com. From there you can go to many different pages and links to other pages.

Comment

Hi Mickeys' Mom

Keep checking in as the other menbers will be able to tell you more from their experiences. Let me wish you and Mickey a welcome!

Apollo (8 1/2 yr old Yorkie) and I are also new to this forum and the Cushings Forum.

We discovered Apollo had diabetes almost 2 yrs ago. He also gets Vetsulin - 2 times a day - 5.5 units. We just finished testing for Cushings.

Anyhow -- to answer your question -- every baby is different. From everything I have read the potential is definitely there. I would also have to say from what I have read that the better job we are able to do controlling the gluscose levels the longer there is a better quality of living for our babies.

Debbie & Apollo
        Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.

Comment

Our vet started Mickey on what she calls a low dose of insulin (Vetsulin) 4units 2twice a day his blood sugar was up to 625 today went up 300 in 4 days! We go back Monday..we have the test strips for glucose and Keytones (sp)?. She already told us we will be giving Mickey home blood glucose tests with a meter and lances...As far as diet, low fat, perf NO fat, low carb and high fiber, she gave us some recipes for home made food, lean chicken. brown rice, veggies, bran etc, small meals 2 or 3 times a day. This had been so much to process in such a short time! My husband John gave Mickey is first insulin shot in the office and did it perfectly, Im giving him his after dinner shot (first time).But ill do fine cause i love my little guy..she wants the shots 10 hrs apart.

Comment

We make insulin shot time a special time -- extra love, and after a tiny treat.
            Apollo actually eats and then comes over to the counter where I have his shot set up and waits!

We also have a Maltese -- he is only 2 yrs. old. He has learned to 'be still' when it's shot time -- I am not sure how that happened but it helps to have the extra quiet so nobody moves suddenly.
            You'll do fine and it's good to have an extra set of hands that can do the shot.

I have to run --- Apollo is looking up at me --- it's time for FOOD and his shot

Debbie and Apollo
            Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.

Comment

Hi Dori,

I see that you found your way over here.

Just adding a link to your topic/thread over on the Cushing's message board, in case anyone here wants to read what you've written about Mickey over there.

http://caninecushings.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7165

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey'sMom View Post
                She already told us we will be giving Mickey home blood glucose tests with a meter and lances...
                I am very impressed with your new Vet. Not all Vets are enthusiastic about owners doing home blood glucose monitoring (although they all should, if you ask me!)

I really think that home bg testing is the way to do it right. It will give you peace of mind being able to test Mickey's blood glucose at home, because you'll be able to always know if the bg is getting too high, too low or if it's just right.

Woo hoo!!

Comment

Chris gets a "snackie" after each injection. For him that's a mini milkbone and a special treat. So he can actually be a bit impatient with me to get the shot done so he can have his treat and is very good about sitting and waiting for his injection and reward.

Some folks with other dogs actually give a fake injection to them so they don't feel left out at meal time! I love that.

I include the milkbone calories in calculating Chris' meals so it's not "extra" - just part of his regular food.

There's some information about meters on the monitoring page: http://www.k9diabetes.com/monitoring.html

I am SO excited to hear that your new vet wants you to home test!!!! Yay!!!! I like her already.

Natalie

Comment

This vet is AWESOME! She thinks home testing is a better way to monitor the pup more closely so he gets better care! She already knows how much we love our babies ( all 7 of them) and now Mickey is our "special Baby" .I just gave Mickey his after dinner shot,,he was a perfect little boy as always..and I did it perfect ..now Im a pro.....lol.

Comment

Hi Dori,

Welcome to the diabetes board. Glad to see you here. Just like the cushing's board the people here are very caring and supportive - you'll find tons of info on diabetes. You'll also recognize a few of the same names from the cushing's board. There are a few of us on both boards that have dogs with both diseases.

I have to say I am also very impressed with your new vet. So glad you'll be hometesting. It does make managing the diabetes a lot easier. No second guessing on what the bg's are. Lady was dx with diabetes in Sept. 06 and I didn't start hometesting her until Feb 07. We were taking her to the vets for blood curves every couple of weeks. When I finally decided to hometest we took her to the vet and one of the techs showed us how to do it. We test from the ear. Lady will not let us near her mouth and I could never get enough blood from her tail. I'm sure you'll be hometesting in no time.

CONGRATULATIONS on giving the first shot. I was so afraid to give Lady her shots that I had my husband doing them all the time. I would hometest her but not give the insulin shots. I had myself convinced I couldn't do it - that somehow I would mess up. My husband kept telling me if you can check her blood you can give her a needle. Finally I decided to do it and couldn't believe how easy it really was.

I homecook for Lady. She gets low fat ground turkey, chicken, or beef, low fat cottage cheese, oatmeal, string beans and celery. She eats 2 x's a day right before her insulin and at night right before bed she gets a little snack.

Lady weighs a little over 11 lbs. and is on Humulin N 5 units twice a day.

Lady also gets a little treat right after her shot and also right after I test her. Like Natalie's Chris - Lady is very good about sitting for her shot and can't wait for her treat.

Good luck with Mickey and know we're all here to help you. Hugs to you and him.
                      Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Hello and Welcome

I one of the crazy ones. I have a diabetic one and a non-diabetic one. I seat at the table waiting for them to finish their meal. The shot and treats are on the table. Each dog waits for the other to finish. When they are both done. They both come to the table lower there heads for the shot. Then the treat. It only took my non diabetic about 3 days to figure out. If I get one of those shots I get treats too. So after I give Brandy her injection I just cap the needle and give Penny a pretend shot.

So glad your vet want you to home test. I think it one of the best tools for managing diabetes. My vet tried to teach me the same day he taught me how to inject the insulin. It took me a few weeks to figure it out.

Dawn and the girls

Comment

Had to share what Dori posted on the Cushings board about her vet.

Mickey more then likely has cushings too because the vet discussed with us the use of Lysodren for Micky in the very near future. She was amazed of how much I knew about cushings/diabetes and all the tests and medicines involved. Including the loading process, I told her I have a great support and information group on this [Cushings] site..And she teared up, and told us she is so happy that Mickey has such a loving mom and dad..It was wonderful to feel hope and positive feedback about my babys care from a qualified Vet!

Comment

Mickey is on his 2nd day of insulin and doing well...is it normal for BG to drop from 625 to 500 in one day on insulin? Thats what happened to our Mickey....also he is getting picky about his food...He just wants his cesar with bran or his low fat chicken w/ brown rice...he turns up his nose at anything else...which is a good sign I assume since Cushings is also suspected, I think a picky eater is not a symptom,. Hes REAL perky now and wants to run around the yard! Can there be that much of an inprovement in only one day? PS he is also on Denamarin,, 1 tab each morning on a empty tummy

Comment

Yes once you start insulin you will see improvement right away. So you can see the insulin is working. Doesn't it make you feel good to see him improve. Now those bad habits will not bother you as much. You will be so happy to see him feeling better.

Dawn and the girls

Comment

Working...
                              X