Does Anyone use Cinnamon to help BG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone use Cinnamon to help BG

I think it has become pretty much common and accepted knowledge that the prudent use of cinnamon in humans does help (at least a tad) to lower BG levels in humans Does anyone have any experience with its use in the canine? If so, I would be curious to know your thoughts and how much do you use. I was thinking a generous sprinkile mixed in with the pets food (as long as she liked the smell and the taste)would certainly not hurt. Your thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. Mary Jo

Re: Does Anyone use Cinnamon to help BG

We used a little cinnamon a year or so ago. Don't recall why we stopped and might try again.
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

I do use it for jesse what I was looking for was to flatten out her numbers not sure if there is any impact on that I dont think it raises her numbers. One thing for sure I know it makes her breath smell good .
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I have thought about it, but haven't tried it yet because I'm experimenting with other things at the moment and try to make one change at a time.

As usual, I've read studies that say it does work and just as many that say it doesn't, so I'd say try it and see what happens. I think I'd start out slow however with just a small sprinkle on the food to see if there's a change, then gradually add a little at a time, just in case a generous sprinkle is too much and causes a problem.

Let us know how it goes

Pat

Comment

I think I will start to use a little, since her homemade portion of her meal is boiled chicken breast, oatmeal and pureed broccoli, I know I like cinnamon on my oatmeal maybe she will as well. I was thinking if she does not care for it, it probably would be the smell that might turn her off/on. I will let you know if I see any difference either way. I will try anything within reason to assist in her struggle as long as I could be almost certain it would do no harm and I think this could be a relatively very safe little trial.

Comment

I'd heard, somewhere, about using cinnamon, but never tried it with Kumbi. Now that he's died of cancer, last June, no use my trying!

Maybe it's one of those, might not help, but won't hurt, thingys.

If you do try it, please let us know how it works out!

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:14:00 (PST)
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

Sounds interessting, can't wait to hear how it goes.
              Eddie loves the smell. I love it in brewed coffee.
              J and Ed
              Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Is cinnamon recommended for Type 2 diabetes or also for Type 1?

Some things that are helpful in humans make the body more sensitive to insulin, which is helpful to Type 2s but not to Type 1s - that's why I was wondering.

Natalie

Comment

I've only read of cinnamon being beneficial to type 2 diabetics with stating it does not offer aid to type 1.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I remember researching cinnamon early on in Ali's diagnosis but couldn't remember exactly what I read. I did some searching the web today and found these articles:

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2...iabetes-study/ Type 1 diabetes study

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN00939 Benefit to Type 2

http://diabetes.about.com/b/2006/11/...holesterol.htm Study in Type 2

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/...65463020070406 Info on the studies with Type 1 and 2 diabetics

It looks like there are limited studies on small groups. Cinnamon shows promise in lowering the fasting blood sugar in Type 2 diabetics but showed no effect on Type 1 diabetics in a recent study.
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

There's not only not much advantage and could actually be some disadvantages to giving something with the goal of making your dog's body MORE sensitive to insulin.

If it succeeded, I think you could actually set up larger swings in blood sugar if you make them more sensitive. I am pretty sure Patty would like to find a way to make Ali LESS sensitive!

So it helps to keep in mind when researching any kind of diabetes supplement that dogs are essentially Type 1 diabetics.

They are not necessarily insensitive to insulin - that typically only occurs early on when their blood sugar has been really high for a while. The problem is that they don't make any insulin any more.

These kinds of products usually are designed for Type 2 human diabetics - people who still produce insulin but don't make good use of it.

Plus it's always good to double check for toxicity of any supplement suggested for humans that you are considering giving to your dog. I'd recommend checking with the vet for any concerns.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                      X