Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Insulin

Insulin Kinds of insulin, action profiles, use in dogs, where to buy, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

Hi Frank,
70/30 is a premix of 70% NPH insulin (which is an intermediate acting insulin) and 30% R (Regular - which is a faster acting insulin).

Novolin NPH or Humulin NPH insulin is 100% intermediate acting insulin.

There's a great graph of the time/action profiles here:

You can see NPH has more of a gradual peak and the 70/30 starts a bit stronger and tapers off once the 30 or fast acting R portion runs out at about hour 7.

One of the reasons you may see a rise in Chase after the R has worn off. I've wondered if straight NPH might be a better fit for him. Let us know how Chase is doing in his thread
Old 09-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Default Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolin?

Has anyone actually made the switch yet? Could you tell us about the experience?
Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM

Just went to get new insulin and our local Walmart was out of the Humulin N. the pharmacist seemed very annoyed at me for asking about the difference and informed me I could get Humulin N but it would be$80. I am so nervous to try anything else since the smallest thing seems to set Cooper off. Tomorrow the vial we have will be 6 weeks old so I know I need to get new. Guess I will call my vet in the morning
Old 09-13-2012, 05:01 PM

I would reduce the dose slightly when switching just for safety. Then you'll have a cushion if your dog responds a bit different and can adjust from there.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM

So if she is normally on 4 units 2x per day would you reduce to 3.5 or 3??? Thank you!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:43 PM

A 15% reduction would be about 3.5u. If her low point of the day is usually fairly low, near 100, you could always drop to 3 or 3.25u to be safe.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Again, I don't think any of us had trouble when we were forced to move from Novolin-N to Humulin-N the last time Walmart changed contracts two years ago. As Patty suggested, I'll probably back off 1/4 unit the first day and test an extra time or two
Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Default Re: WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolin?

I bought the Novolin today from Walmart and took it with me to the Vet. He said there should be no problem switching and to give the same dose.

I'll be giving Sadie her first shot tomorrow...

I do wish I had stocked up on the Humulin though because I hate the idea of changing anything at this point and we go through a vial about every two and a half weeks.

I checked a couple of other Pharmacies and one is selling Humulin for $86, the other was over $100! What a racket!!! No way I could afford Humulin at those prices.
Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg
Old 09-14-2012, 06:14 AM

We just saw my endo Spec. He told me to drop Side down to 5u and work my way back up to 8 u if necessary. That sounds a bit extreme, but I also know Side can be sensitive to drugs.

Change is the last thing we need. He was worn down by a vet stay of 13 days and has not recovered. He used up his reserve so to speak and is not bouncing back.

Both my parents died and that is why he had to stay at the vet. I knew it would be hard on him, but now I have a tired little dog all the time now.

I dread changing.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:06 AM

Both of your parents? I'm so sorry. That is a great deal to handle, and I wish you some peace.

And thanks for posting this. I will be cautious.
Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.
Closed Thread