Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Help/New to this glucose game

Sure....Bowzer the Aussie Cattle Dog it is....thanks
Old 07-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Bowzer the Aussie Cattle Dog

Title change is done!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Morning. I just wanted to thank you all for the advice and support yesterday. Nice to be able to ask for opinions on a subject that all have been going thru. This morning I was very happy to see that Bowzers glucose was 178. The lowest it has ever been in the morning before his meal and shot. Starting out on a good note today. Thanks again
Old 07-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Founding Member

6 dogs! you are something! great news on the sugar reading and if the food change is how you plan on going forward, at least you are adjusting for what it is going to be
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 AM

thank you. yes I have 6 dogs. (rescues). They range in age from 1 yr to 17 years old. (would you believe I just adopted the 17 year old less than a year ago)...someone decided after 16 years that he no longer fit in their family....makes me sad. I think the combo of food as I have it now will work. (fingers crossed). How do you get that little bio underneath your posts?. I see everyone has them. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 AM

178 is a nice number. Just realize that his numbers will likely bounce around, VERY few (if any) are able to keep their pup in a 100-200 range all day / every day. I might get a few days in my goal range of 100-250, then BAM she throws a 400, or a 70.

Even after nearly 7 years I can't correctly predict what will happen to her numbers. Yesterday afternoon, when I got Annie home from the groomers, she tested 95. I was sure she would be much higher later after she calmed down since I figured she had used-up insulin while fighting the groomer. NOPE! She was a fairly low 73 at her 7PM test! Maybe it was because we had a little dinner party with 6 extra people in the house??? Yes, whenever I think I can predict what she will do, she throws a curve-ball. Heck, I guess this is what makes Annie's diabetes such an interesting "hobby" for me.

Craig
Old 07-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Under User CP you should be able to select Edit Signature
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 07-20-2014, 02:50 PM

It takes a special person to adopt a senior dog - how wonderful!

Diabetes is always ups and downs it seems. The great thing about our forum is that there is usually at least one person who has some experience with just about every complication one can encounter.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:17 PM

Got it...thanks so much!
Bowzer is an 11 year old Aussie Cattle Dog. He was diagnosed in June 2014. His diet consists of Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Weight Control/Merrick Grain Free Chicken & Sweet Potato; teaspoon of pumpkin; teaspoon of canned Merrick. Uses Novolin N.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 AM

Hi from another Australian Cattle Dog owner. My Pepper was diagnosed in April 2014 after she was treated for cancer. My vet (her oncologist), like your vet, was pushing her insulin dosage all over the place. Since finding this forum, and with the help of the members, I put the brakes on the crazy doses. Now, when I change her dosage, it's usually by 0.5 or 1.0 units.

Brooke (SidneyDog) created an excellent excel spreadsheet, which I plagiarized for keeping track of Pepper's numbers; https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6ashbwimf...LY%202014.xlsx The Dropbox account has been very helpful in sharing where Pepper is with the members here.

Pepper has been ALL over the map with her BG, a good day is in the high 200's, low 300's.

The people here are terrific, I don't know what I would have done without their help.

You'll do fine.