Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:47 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: New member Snowball

what you would like to do is a complete curve in the near future . I would get previous curves done from the vet and see if they did complete curves and dose adjustments were based on the lowest number in that curve

Sometimes higher numbers could indicate a dose was to much and passed the dose that was needed

So you just want to make sure you are not going in the wrong direction on raising the dose . 3 units is not a small dose for a little dog its actually fairly large so you do want to think this out before moving forward
Jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 10-01-2018, 07:59 AM

I"m going to try to do more of a complete curve when I have time and hopefully a lancing device to make it go smoother.

We moved her up to 3.5 units from 3 units as the lowest test before was 292. I believe proper range is somewhere in the 100's?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:10 PM

283 at 6:04. Next shot at 7pm after she eats. It seems we made some progress.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Founding Member

Also what you would like to correlate is physical symptoms and if snowball starts acting more normal
Jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 10-01-2018, 03:48 PM

Now she is acting weird. Its like she is arching her back like a cat does. She wasn't doing that before I took blood this time. I juts took blood from her ear. Could that do that? She was fine all day. We just fed her and I'm going to give her the insulin in about 12 minutes.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Founding Member

i wonder since you just fed is there some kind of digestive issue with discomfort being displayed

I would monitor during next feeding time to see if there issues after feeding

I dont see how testing sugar would cause what you described but it maybe some kind of discomfort
Old 10-01-2018, 05:40 PM

She was doing it before I fed her. Like right after the ear. I dropped her from 3.5 to 2.5 units to see if we see a difference as I'm wondering as someone said if I'm seeing the high readings from too much insulin.

The back issue seems a bit better now
Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 PM

She has been sleeping all the time lately. Is that a symptom of blood sugar too high? I've been reading and reading trying to distinguish between symptoms for blood sugar too high or too low.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Founding Member

to high or to low can give lethargic symptoms . the only way is to test at those times

It took awhile for my jesse to perk up but she has her ups and downs and that could be the new normal living with the disease

If you can attain blood sugar in a range of 100 to 250 that is pretty good some do better many dont
Old 10-02-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
to high or to low can give lethargic symptoms . the only way is to test at those times

It took awhile for my jesse to perk up but she has her ups and downs and that could be the new normal living with the disease

If you can attain blood sugar in a range of 100 to 250 that is pretty good some do better many dont
403 this morning at just now. I'm assuming 100 to 250 you are talking after converting not straight from relion prime numbers? So a 403 on this meter is really 500 plus?

Since I dropped her down and the numbers went up and the numbers are so high, I'm assuming she needs a lot more insulin to bring the numbers down, but the dose is getting very high for an 8 lb dog.

Past few weeks all she does pretty much is walk to go to the bathroom and otherwise just lies down and sleeps, if you get her up, she walks a few feet and goes to sleep. Water is like a treat to her now.