Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: How fast should I increase doses to avoid ketoacidosis

Although giving a dose about a week to settle seems to be the general consensus, I might be a little more aggressive until I see any reading in the 300/400s. I'd then slow down once seeing any 300. Just my thought!

By the way, are you also testing just prior to meals/injection, or only around the +6 hour point? Text books might indicate the +6 hour should yield the lowest number, but MOST PUPS DONT READ THE TEXT BOOKS.. My Annie has her lowest reading at around the +10 to +12 (just prior to the next meal). In fact, my Annie generally has her highest number around the +5 to +6 hour.

Craig

Last edited by CraigM; 09-30-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:37 PM

Default Re: New and needing advice

I combined your threads to make it easier for folks to look at your history. Don't worry about folks not seeing any new question / comment because most of us read every new post. Generally, we like to keep one thread for each pup

Craig
Old 09-30-2016, 03:15 PM

He weighs 66 lbs, and has been losing weight. His ideal weight is more like 60.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:57 PM

Now that you've been on the forum for awhile, would you like a moderator change the title of your thread from "new and needing advice" to something more personal? Maybe something like "Ollie the Lab Mix" or ??? Just write what you would like, and a moderator can change it for you.

Craig
Old 10-01-2016, 11:20 AM

Yes, please retitle the thread "Ollie's Journey".

Thanks for mentioning that about the ideal time to test. I was wondering why we don't look for the lowest point to be just prior to meals/insulin injection.

So, the testing we've been doing is 6 hrs after his morning meal.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Ollie's journey

Every pup / situation is different. A few might have their lowest number at the mid point (+6 hours), a few might get the insulin working quickly and have their lowest reading within 3-4 hours, others take longer and don't have their lowest reading until just before the next meal / injection.

I guess it's a combination of factors. How fast each pup gets the insulin working, how fast their metabolism is getting their food digested, and general activity.

For years I've given slightly more insulin with Annie's dinner because (I think) she is much less active in the evening, basically sleeping from shortly after dinner until the next breakfast! So for Annie, less activity seems to require a little more insulin. Of course every dog is different, and this is something you can test for yourself later when Ollie finally gets to better numbers.

Craig
Old 10-02-2016, 08:17 AM

An update:

Yesterday Ollie tested at 592. Still real high, but finally there is some progress here. He's at 17 units now. I'll retest in a few days and see where he's at.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:11 AM

Do you have other numbers from tests during the same day? One numbers can't really gauge where he is at - if you can do a few more tests during different times of the day, that might say more. You don't have to do curves but it will give you a better idea of how he is really doing in context.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:22 PM

OK, we tested Ollie's blood 3 times today, here's the results:

(he gets fed at 7:30 am and 7:30 pm)

10 am: 511

2pm: 643

6pm: 568

He was getting 17 units, and we'll increase it to 18 tonight.

At least the numbers are going down. About two weeks ago, we got these:

8:30am: 720

11:00am: 676

2:00pm: 743

He also seems peppier, and went a whole night without any accidents last two nights. Any advice/comments?

Thanks,

Mary
Old 10-05-2016, 05:54 PM

I'd probably go for 19. Still plenty high.