• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting Over With Ozzi...Need Advice

Hi Kevin

Just checking in to see how everthing is going Hope all is well

Peggy
    Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Just checking in on you, Kevin, with Ozzi and also your mother, wishing everything well to all!

Maybe an extra dose of energy to help you cope with what seems to be a VERY busy schedule for you! Otherwise, you'd have been here more often!

Lots of love and hugs and licks and wags to you! Can you tell I miss your posts? Haha!

Sun, 20 Jun 2010 03:39:13 |(PDT)
      http://www.coherentdog.org/
      CarolW

Comment

Hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!

First and foremost, please forgive my recent absence, and thanks for your concern! I'm doing fine, but I must say things have been very hectic here. My best friend had a knee replacement on June 4th and needed help with recovery, so he's been staying here since the surgery, which has been helpful to me as well since I've had to be away from home a lot. My nephew was up from Florida visiting for 2 weeks, Ozzi's been having some problems, Abby got very sick, and my cat Zakk currently has an eye infection. I'm also working a bunch of per diem hours now which keeps me away from the house, but the biggest thing is my Mom's health. I'm the only one in the area to help her, and she's 1 1/2 hours away! Unfortunately she has multiple chronic medical problems, with occasional "flares," and needs help. She no longer drives, so frequent doctor's appointments mean frequent trips to NH for me. Finally, I've been trying to study in between for an exam I'm taking in August. You probably remember that I got sick when I returned from Philadelphia and had to postpone the exam. Well, it's set up for August 4th, so fingers crossed!!

While it has been nuts here, it's really been fine, just busy. When it all started, I did come back to try to keep up with everyone's updates by reading what was going on. That turned into biweekly quick reviews, and then not even logging on to the computer to check email! So I am sorry that I've been away, and I've missed you all.

Okay, the Ozzi update. My Ozzi is doing incredibly well for all of his problems! He really is a trooper! I had lots of issues with low blood sugar in May/June and had to continually decrease his insulin. He had been doing great with 24 units twice/day, and now he is down to 20 units twice/day and his fasting and 8PM sugars are running in the low-mid 200's while his 2PM (peak) is about 100. I couldn't be happier!

I brought him to the vet and he checked out with no signs of infections or anything wrong to explain it, so I'm not sure exactly why this happened, since nothing and I mean nothing changed at all for him regarding diet, treats, exercise, etc. HOWEVER, (and I know Peggy will understand this), I think the decrease in insulin is directly related to the increasing dosages of tramadol! When Ozzi was first diagnosed with cauda equina syndrome, I gave him tramadol as needed for pain. That changed to 1/2 tablet daily, then 1/2 tablet twice/day, then 1 tablet in the morning and 1/2 tablet in the evening, and now 1 tablet twice/day. These increases haven taken place gradually over the past 4 months since I took him to the neurologist. Each increase was the result of persistent (or increasing) pain and while I held him steady on the same dose for a few weeks at a time, I really think it might have had a delayed effect of some sort where it took time to accumulate in his blood stream to the point that it lowered his sugar. I have no other explanation, and with Forbes' experience as well, I believe this is the underlying reason. My vet doesn't buy it (lol) but anecdotally at least, we have two cases (Ozzi and Forbin) who have experienced a decreased need for insulin on tramadol.

At the moment, Ozzi's BG is very well controlled. His spine and leg pain seem to be well controlled as well, but his hind leg weakness is worsening. He rises and walks better, however his back legs "crumple" with limited standing. And there really isn't anything to do for that. He has acclimated to his blindness as well as he can, and I have to be really careful about not changing anything. The other day, I was doing laundry, and left a quilt to be washed on the floor until I went downstairs when the first load was done. Ozzi walked right into it and fell. Fortunately it is soft and it was a minor fall, but still it reminds me that he just can't do any changes!! In spite of it all, he's doing great. He's a happy guy, takes care of Abby and me, and continues to monitor the cat's activities regularly!

Abby is doing well now, but had weeks of awful pain that took a while to diagnose. I'll post her story under her thread here.

Sorry to write so much. You all deserved an explanation for my sudden "departure" and I wanted to let you all know that it was circumstantial and nothing else! It's nice to be back....at least part-time for now! I look forward to getting involved with someone else's problems...LOL!!!

My best,
        Kevin
        Last edited by ozzi; 07-26-2010, 06:49 PM.
        Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

Welcome back Kevin!! Glad to see you here and to know that Ozzi and your family are getting along

Comment

Kevin,
            I know you've been busy...It's so great to hear from you! You were missed around here.

Glad to hear things have stabilized a bit with Ozzi, though I'm sorry the weakness and pain have progressed. The Tramadol does make sense to me.

Look forward to hearing about Abby.

Take care,
            Patty
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Kevin... we have missed you and Ozzie!

Natalie

Comment

Kevin, you're home - we missed you!

Don't you just love it when a vet tells you what you see can't be happening, lol? Between Ozzi's & Forbin's reactions to the Tramadol, I'm convinced and would certainly be keeping on close eye on the BG if Noodle ever needed to take it.

Wow, you've had a lot on your plate! I'm glad things are calming down at least a little bit...relatively speaking. Now you need to take care of you so you're healthy for your next testing date! Good luck next week!!
                Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Glad to see you back Kevin, you have had a lot on your plate.

Hugs

Margaret
                  Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

To all my friends at K-9 Diabetes,

I was thinking today that it's been a year since Ozzi developed diabetes, and I would be remiss in not coming here to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. I sincerely believe that without all of you as my lifeline, I wouldn't have Ozzi today.

I never considered testing him, and you suggested it. I delayed testing because of my own fears of hurting him, and you encouraged me. I had problems getting his blood, and you showed me the way. Ozzi's sugar went sky high, and you helped me learn how to lower it. Ozzi's sugar bottomed out, and you held my hand and gave advice on how to manage his insulin. Whenever I needed you, you were there. And you know who you are! I will never be able to repay the constant help, advice and support that all of you have given me since joining this site. So thank you all for being you and for being here!!

We love you!
                    Kevin and Ozzi
                    Last edited by ozzi; 08-06-2010, 07:04 PM.
                    Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

A whole year! Holy cow! And you have repayed whatever help we have given you because you have helped many others in the past year get through those first scary weeks.

Congratulations to you and to Ozzie!!! Wishing you many more diabetes anniversaries!

Natalie

Comment

Oh, Kevin,

Heh - you aren't the first to find help on this forum - and surely not the last, either! But let me echo Natalie, at least a little. The help you in turn have provided others has been magnificent, magnificent, throughout. We really missed you while you were away, obviously in a state of overload! I hope that load is easing, and that your mother is doing better.

I expect everybody who reads different threads REALLY notices when you're not here!

I always look forward to reading your posts, no matter which thread they're in. And I continue to learn from you, too. Thanks for being here, and please, never go away for long!

We love you, too! Very special greetings to Ozzi. Kwali and Kumbi join me in that!

Big hugs, licks and wags,

Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:17:16 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

to you and Ozzi! Congrats on 1 year !!!
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Belated Happy Anniversary, Ozzi & Kevin!!

You've provided so much support to others, not to mention your sense of humor. I will forever associate Ozzi with bunnies, Easter, and Peeps, lol!
                            Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Happy Anniversary Kevin and Ozzi!!! Everything you said about this forum is so true. And as others have pointed out, you have helped so many others here in turn, myself and Gretel included. I'll always remember you so kindly telling me that my attempt to test Gretel might have been a failure, but I wasn't. That really touched me when I needed it the most.

May you and Ozzi have many more wonderful years together. It's so good to see you posting again, there was a big hole here without you!

Carolyn
                              Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

Happy Anniversary Kevin and Ozzi! and I hope you have many more

Comment

Working...
                                X