Bowzer the Aussie Cattle Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bowzer the Aussie Cattle Dog

with my jesse i took her for a curve at the vets. brought my meter and they compared with a complete curve with a lab analyzer not another handheld . so we had multiple comparisons against calibrated lab equipment

this gave me a good comparison not perfect . i got to see the accuracy of the meter and also the consistency

for me consistency was the most important if numbers were all over the place than the meter would be difficult to use

i would be a little wary of one comparison reading at an emergency vet especially if it was compared to another handheld that maybe used quite substantially

a few years ago the relion mini i was using at the time compared pretty close to the one touch ultra i was using now these meters have changed a bit since then . we have also seen some comparisons off by quite a bit and others saying they were very close

thats why we say with this disease it is very dog individualistic . you cant fully trust what works for one dog will work for another .

glad they figured it was a UTI very common with a diabetic dogs and really not unusual to see it in non diabetic dogs or humanes . my mom gets them from time to time and she is not diabetic
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

All walmart had was the One touch ultra Mini. So that is what I got. does anyone know if that is an accurate reading?.....the strips were $135 for 100. I got them for now, but will definitely order them online. Your thoughts on this meter, please. Thanks
      Bowzer is an 11 year old Aussie Cattle Dog. He was diagnosed in June 2014. His diet consists of Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Weight Control/Merrick Grain Free Chicken & Sweet Potato; teaspoon of pumpkin; teaspoon of canned Merrick. Uses Novolin N.

Comment

and here is a fun-fact (not really), I just took Bowzers BG with the Reli-on it was 279 and with the One Touch Ultra mini and it was 281. Thoughts? Please?
        Bowzer is an 11 year old Aussie Cattle Dog. He was diagnosed in June 2014. His diet consists of Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Weight Control/Merrick Grain Free Chicken & Sweet Potato; teaspoon of pumpkin; teaspoon of canned Merrick. Uses Novolin N.

Comment

I use the one touch mini and it has always been right on with my vet's alphatrack and his lab.

I feel confident with it because Maggie is usually pretty predictable with her behaviors when her sugar is high and low. Meters, by their nature, are fickle whether it is an Alphatrack or Relion or any other meter. My vet has a collection of meters and is pretty confident using them. He uses the Alphatrack and One Touch - he bought the One Touch because he liked mine in all the comparisons we did.
          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

I was shocked to see the numbers were almost the same. I am glad you have confidence in the one touch, its easy to use and the results are pretty quick. I was just surprised to see the same results in both meters. I guess you are correct in saying you cannot trust the results from one test and go on that. would you say the one touch was more reliable to use than the reli-on confirm?....thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by 6K9S View Post
              I was shocked to see the numbers were almost the same. I am glad you have confidence in the one touch, its easy to use and the results are pretty quick. I was just surprised to see the same results in both meters. I guess you are correct in saying you cannot trust the results from one test and go on that. would you say the one touch was more reliable to use than the reli-on confirm?....thank you so much for your help.
              Here's a fun test comparison: Use both meters and test YOUR blood.

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

sounds like fun times, Craig....lol. Will do and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Here are two curve comparisons I did with my meters. I have a couple Relion meters (the Micro and the Ultima), the One Touch Ultra 2, and the AlphaTrak2. If I can't use my AT2, I really prefer the OTU2 over the Relion meters. I found it be much closer to the AT and much more consistent.

Last edited by ceruleanblue; 09-28-2014, 02:34 PM. Reason: Fix images
                  Mandy and Piper | Border Collie/GSD Mix | 01/01/2002-10/31/2015 | DX: Diabetes- 09/18/12, Bladder tumor- 09/18/14

Comment

Good Morning..
                    I have come across a bit of an issue and was looking for some advice. Bowzer has been on 21 units of Novelin N since Sept. He has since been to the ER once because of a UTI which threw his sugar off to go low and one UTI that threw his sugar off to go low. He has just come off of 2 weeks of Clavamox for the UTI (4 days now), and since his BG readings have been low (for him) in the morning, (around 240), which I am not complaining about, but right before his dinner and shot in the pm, his BGs have been low (for him) ranging from 100 to 166. Last night after I took his BG it was at 77. As I said this is right before he is supposed to get his 21 units and his dinner. I gave him a drop of pancake syrup and a cookie...fed him his meal and waiting about an hour and then luckily it went up steadily to 282 an hour after I gave him the syrup and meal. I didn't want to give him his full dose, so I gave him 18 units. He seemed fine and woke up this morning at a 216 BG. Afraid of the same thing for today, I gave him his breakfast and only 19 units. I will monitor him today and hopefully his BG will not go so low this evening before dinner. Does anyone know why his readings have been going low right before he is supposed to get his next shot. In reality that is the way his readings have always been, but certainly not 77 or 100. Do you think being on the Clavamox for 2 weeks has something to do with it?..Do you think for some reason now his dose should be lower than the 21 units twice a day?...I am a bit stumped, and so need some knowledgeable advice. Thank you so very much

Comment

infections can raise blood sugar. So once the infections are cleared up the sugar can go back to what is probably his normal. I think you are on the right track that he probably needs less insulin
                      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Maggie is one of those weird dogs who goes lower with antibiotics. Many dogs go high with infection(which she does) but remain high on antibiotics(which she doesn't) so maybe Bowser is another dog who responds differently to antibiotics. My husband always says her chemistry set is just a little more "tweaked". Some dogs are just sensitive to meds. That could be it - it is kind of one of those mysteries you solve as you take the diabetic journey. Another example of how these dogs are individuals.

I think you are doing the wise thing - maybe increase your testing and trust your instincts when you see a pattern out of the ordinary. Also, keep in mind, that 77 is actually a normal number so no danger at that moment but you don't want to drive that number lower so it is always safer to feed something and not panic and drive him really high. So, what you did was perfect and put him in a good range. Testing is a wonderful thing.
                        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. I have been sticking with the 19 units and so far, so good. I wonder if he lost a pound or two and that's why his bg has been a bit on the low side.

Comment

I am in need of some advice yet again. Bowzer is back up to the 21 units and once again going high on his BG readings. I fear he is once again getting a UTI (although last week when I brought his urine to the vet she told me no bacteria was found, but alot of sugar)...His readings were high at the moment. On top of this roller coaster ride with his readings, (as I am still after all these months trying to find some consistancy) now battling yet another stress factor. I live 350 miles from my family, and now my mother has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She is scheduled for surgery and I feel I need to be there. I really have nobody (other than my 15 and 23 year old girls) to leave him with as far as testing and giving shots). I am sure they could handle the shots, but do to Bowzers anxiety, not too sure they would be able to do the readings. I am more than likely going to have to take him with me, but then again, to know Bowzer is to understand that he has anxiety issues, separation issues and well as arthritis. I am not sure the car ride alone for 8 hours would put him over the edge, or the actual staying someone he has never been will do it, not to mention we would be going to Brooklyn NY where it is pretty noisy and no green grass or fenced yard that he is used to. On top of that he is a compulsive dog, sometimes barking and barking.....and barking at nothing and will not stop. If the cancer isnt stressful enough, the thought of putting my dog thru all this stress is alone killing me. Has anyone every had such an "issues" dog that you absolutely had to travel with and would you possibly be able to give me some pointers. Oh, and the arthritis is an issue because my mom lives on the second floor and Bowzer is 60 pounds. Not even sure he will be able to do the stairs.....HELP

Comment

oh my that is a challenge . i guess you have to think whats best for bowzer . i take my jesse to see my mom a couple times a year . 8 hour drive . she looks forward to going but once we are there she wants to go back home . there is no one to take care of her at home so she has to go

i think jesse would prefer being with me so thats what we do . probably wont be perfect either way but we all go through this bringing them or leaving them home .
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

We travel a lot with Charlie between Wisconsin and Florida. We keep his meal times the same and stop every 3-4 hours for potty/gas breaks. His food and insulin are in an insulated lunch bag and we stack his beds and blankets in the backseat with the cooler. I do understand your concerns about the stairs
                                Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Working...
                                X