Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Pip collie lab x cushings arthritis

thank you no the vet didn't mention that at all i've look up on internet and said what you have stated to me
I did'nt know it would effect his cushings all the vet said was that he would need a speical ear drop and anti biotic's as a normal erar drops and cleaner wouldn'y touch it.
i've always cleaned pips ears with a dog ear cleaner i get from the vets i use to do twice a week then we saw a vet never seen before and she suggested doing pips ears everyday twice aday .i only did that a couple of times as nothing was coming out and pip was going crazy with his ears
so i just went back to twice a week
thank you do you think i should stop the ear drops and tablets only pip is a lot more settled and relaxed with his ears
juile
Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Interim CC

Hi Julie,

I just found this article, and of course it's only one vet's findings/belief, but this is what he wrote (link to article is below):

"In dogs, Pseudomonas otitis is the principal disease process caused by this organism. Almost all cases of resistance Pseudomonas are associated with chronic and recurrent otitis induced by a primary/underlying disease ( atopy, food allergy, hypothyroidism, Cushing’s, and conformational
abnormalities of the ear). It is likely that the chronic alterations in the otic microenvironment associated with persistent inflammation, sets up a state of hyperhidrosis which is preferred by Pseudomonas. The unique pathogenicity of Pseudomonas allows it to take advantage of the diseased tissue and develop resistance to antibiotics.

The single most important component for the successful treatment of chronic/recurrent otitis is control of the underlying disease process that has caused the alteration in otic microenvironment. Both allergies (atopy and food allergy) and endocrine diseases (hypothyroidism and Cushing’s disease) are common causes of otitis . The infection will not be successfully managed and the recurrent otitis will not stop until the redisposing/underlying disease is identified and controlled. Bacterial culture’s and antibiotic sensitivity profiles should be used to determine which organisms are present and for the selection of appropriate antibiotic therapy. During the course of treatment, cultures and antibiotic sensitivity panels should be repeated to monitor changes in the bacterial population and antibiotic resistance."

http://www.itchnot.com/images/What_a...ns_and_Why.pdf

-Susy
Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM

Oh no Julie, do not stop the drops and the pills. His ears must be very painfull and itchy...and the meds will help relieve those symptoms. But just wanted to make sure that if Pip vomits...or becomes hyperactive for example, that you don't panic and think it is his Cushing's...it could very well be the side effects of the pills And with the Dexamethasone in the eardrops...I would wait with the ACTH test..untill Pip is off the eardrops to make absolutely sure that the Dexamethasone in the eardrups is not interfering with the results of the ACTH test

But a bacterial culture and an antibiogram might be a good idea. The earinfection could be "just" the pseudomonas but there also could be a fungus or yeast infection as well, for example. It's good to know for certain wich bacterias and/or other organisms are involded, since this will help to determine the very best treatment. (pseudomonas is resistant to most antibiotics...so randomly prescribing anti biotics is useless) They can test to which anti biotic the specific strain of pseudomonas is best responding to. I know, that here in The Netherlands, there are no (commercial) eardrops or ointments that contain the right antibiotic to treat pseudomonas. What they will do is make a tailormade cream or bottle of drops by adding the right antibiotics to the (neutral) cream or drops. This is, as far as I know, the best (and actually only) way to treat pseudomonasinfections in ears. But you need a bacterial culture and antibiogram...

But keep giving Pip his current meds for now...they will at least help to relieve (some of) his painfull and itchy symptoms for now.

Saskia and Yunah
Old 05-02-2009, 11:36 AM

I need advice regarding Pips ear drops

Everytime i put Pip's ear drops in he cries and whimpers mainly on the left side his ears are very painful and itching red and sore Do you think i should STOP giving him the ear drops and just give him the anti biotics tablets as right now he's not liking his ears touched at all

i would be very greatful for any advice
juile:
Old 05-02-2009, 01:02 PM

Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear Pip is having trouble with his ears now. I think you should carry on with the drops, hopefully they will start working soon. Spicey had the Aurizon drops last year and they worked well. When their ears are sore they do whimper when you put the drops in and Spicey always hates it when the vet looks deep in her ears. Also like Saskia suggested I would wait a bit longer before having the ACTH test. Spicey was due to have a test when she was on the drops and we had to delay it for a week as the lab said it could have an influence on the test.

Linda and Spicey
Old 05-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Hi

Just an update on Pip

We had to call the out of hours vet today as pip is in a total mess with this PSEUDOMANS INFECTION IN BOTH EARS.The read what the other vet put on friday when he was seen .my mum spoke to the vet as pip is vomiting and crying everytime we put the ear drops in. she said that Pip has a very very nasty ear infection unfortunalty we have to carry on with ear drops (and she understands how pianful and distress this is making pip )the reason it he does like the his ears being touched and and the ear drops in is because they are so red and imflammed all the way down to his his ear canal to the middle ear so its going to be very painful for pip. we have to carry on weith the drops and anti biotics as its importantto get this uneder control.
the vet said pip may just sleep and want to be left alone as this infection is nasty and making him feel very poorly(she is right there he is just sleeping) i must wake him up for anti biotics and ear drops,
it bank holiday here she will see him on tuesday and may be change his anti biotics mum said he was there on friday as they want to see him in 7 days
she said would see him before and our normal vet could still see him on friday.
Although Pip has cushings and other health problems i've never ever seen him so DISTRESS like this it's very heartbreaking to see my baby like this .
Anyway i forgot to tell you pip now wieghs 35. kilos he gone from 36.9 to 35.kilos although i'm expecting him to put weight on as he's not doing anything other than sleep
I've put some poicture on of Pip with honey , he was 4 years old there and onlt a kilo overwieght . so you may think he is slim .i will be putting some new photo of my chumky boy on shortly
julie
Old 05-03-2009, 12:20 PM

Hi Julie,
Sorry that Pip is feeling poorly. I hope the meds do their work fast and Pip starts to feel better soon. It is so hard to watch your baby suffer and know there is nothing you can do except meds and waiting.
We will be keeping good thoughts for Pip's quick recovery.
John (Roxee's Dad)
Old 05-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Founding Member

Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear that Pip is in a lot of pain from the ear infection. Hoping the medicine starts working soon and he can get some relief. Hugs to the two of you.

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 05-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Founding Member

Hi Julie,

I am so sorry Pip is suffering so with that ear infection! Scooter always had them and I know how painful they can be. He would cry even if you just touched his ear lightly sometimes. It was horrible.

The good news is that they did get better over time with medication. Unfortunately that's the only way the ears will get better...I wish there was another way...but please know that we are sending our very best and hope Pip gets some relief SOON!

Sending Pip lots of healing wishes!!!
Beth, Bailey and always Scooter
Old 05-03-2009, 01:20 PM

Julie,

I'm sorry to hear that Pip is so miserable with his ear infection and understand how upsetting that is for you. Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking positive thoughts for you both.

Louise