Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Insulin

One question

When are you injecting right after food? Or waiting.
Where are you injecting?
Old 04-28-2019, 05:25 PM

I am injecting 1/4 way through his meal. I just changed to the sides about 4 inches from the spine.

His sugar spikes really high about an hour after his insulin/food. It stays high pretty much until around 2:00. Bear in mind I take him for a couple walks between 10-2 pm. It starts to get to a good level about 4pm with dinner coming at 6. Today it was 423 at 11:15am and 207 at 5:30pm. I gave him dinner at 6pm. He is now laying outside sound asleep. We will take it at 9:00pm and it will be 600!
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 13.2u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:53 PM

His BG is 420 at 8:45pm. He is acting very tired. It is a little lower in general. I did knock down his insulin to 12.5 today from 13.
15 yr old, Atypical Cushings, Pancreatitis, Allergies. 13.2u Vetsulin 2x a day. Royal Canin Glycobalance 1 cup 2x Day with 3 teaspoons boiled chicken. Snacks Green Beans. Tylan Powder, Purina Fortiflora, Flax Hull Lignans 35mg 1x day.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiesMom View Post
I am injecting 1/4 way through his meal. I just changed to the sides about 4 inches from the spine.

His sugar spikes really high about an hour after his insulin/food. It stays high pretty much until around 2:00. Bear in mind I take him for a couple walks between 10-2 pm. It starts to get to a good level about 4pm with dinner coming at 6. Today it was 423 at 11:15am and 207 at 5:30pm. I gave him dinner at 6pm. He is now laying outside sound asleep. We will take it at 9:00pm and it will be 600!
What i did with my dog after food and insulin was to check his bg 1/2 hour after eating to see where his bg was after food. If it was high i.d reduce his food a bit. If it was low i.d increase his food.

I.d take his bg again 1 and a 1/2 hours after injecting thats when his insulin started working. To meet up with the food

Good he.s exercising at 10
Old 04-30-2019, 03:26 PM

If the dog food is kibble, you may want to try soaking some or all of it so it digests a little easier. Might knock the after dinner spike down.
Daisy 11 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 5.5 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily
Old 04-30-2019, 04:57 PM

Thank you both for the tips. I will try them and let you know the outcome.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:06 AM

One more quick question - how much is Humulin N and where do you purchase it at?

I know the Novolin N is at Wal-Mart.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:47 AM

Any drug store should carry both humulin and novolin nph or coscos
I didnt get much difference in either nph
Old 05-04-2019, 06:43 PM

Went to the vet today and was a little disappointed. Yukon has a bladder infection and his right eye is completely blind and left eye has only peripheral vision the vet said.

I asked her if there's anything I can give him as far as supplement or eyedrops to slow down the cataract she said there is nothing. I heard that if I start giving him lutein it will assist in helping the cataract.

She put him on an antibiotic enrofloxacin for the bladder infection and I read some of the side effects were blindness and cataracts in long-term use.

Can someone please give me some insight on when dogs go blind and how you maneuver throughout the day? He is too old to have cataract surgery.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:53 AM

Default Ketones in Urine - Everything else Normal

Yukon had a bladder infection on May 4th and the vet put him on Enrofloxacin 68mg 1x a day for 14 days. His Blood Glucose went down to great numbers (100-200's) which I was told was to be expected.

I noticed about 4 days after the antibiotics were gone, he started jumping back up into the 500's right after eating, which is strange because I changed his food to Royal Canin Glycobalance and the jumps have not been high.

I brought a first morning urine sample in yesterday and they told me his concentration was great - 1040 and his white cell counts were all in range. She said he had sugar in his urine which is expected but it wasn't that high.
Everything looked really good for Diabetic/Cushings Dog.

BUT...she said that his Ketones were 15! She is puzzled how that can be. I told her that I took him for a walk this morning and pulled some urine and ran it and I show at most a trace.

How could the Ketones be high but everything else is in range? I am so puzzled.