Cooper - Three years diabetic April 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooper - Three years diabetic April 2015

Hello! I am new to the forum. Our dog Cooper is a 9 year old miniature pinscher who was diagnosed in March. She has had a lifelong history of pancreatitis. She is finally getting regulated after 4 months. She is on 4 units of humilin n twice a day. Her weight is down to 11 pounds. She is a very picky eater but seems to be doing fine with Hills w/d mixed with boiled chicken and rice. I was finally feeling a little relief - thinking that we were on the right track - and then 2 weeks ago she jumped off the last step of our deck onto the brick patio and hurt her back leg! The vet said to watch it, make her rest and give anti- inflamatories. If the ligament was fully torn she may need surgery.

It's now been 2 weeks and I'm supposed to call tomorrow to talk to the vet. There has been some improvement but today it seemed to be bothering her.

I am so nervous with the thought of surgery for her! Except for today and the day she injured her leg it doesn't seem to hurt her but she's only using 3 legs! I'm afraid of the surgery but also nervous about the diabetes if she is unable to exercise and then starts to gain weight again. The cost is also a concern (we have spent approx 3500 so far) but we will find a way if it has to be done. Has anyone had experience with this. We just love her so much. Help!

Re: Just regulated now torn ligament

Sorry to hear your Min Pin injured her leg!

There have been quite a few dogs over the years who had surgery and/or anesthesia while diabetic.

It is usually best to make sure the monitoring is thorough, including keeping track of the blood sugar while the dog is under.

I can't recall if anyone here has specifically had something like an ACL repaired. I know a few people over at our sister forum for Cushing's disease have.

Sometimes they have also scheduled the surgery early to be done and recovered in time for dinner and insulin.

Natalie

Comment

Thank you! I spoke with the vet today and we are going to watch it for 2 more weeks. I'd rather not put her through surgery if we don't have to and she is showing some signs of improvement.

Comment

Aw...poor little baby! Isn't it just the worst when they hurt themselves! I'm glad that the vet is going to let you go a few more weeks to allow her to heal herself rather than diving in to surgery. Let us know how things are going! Hugs!
        Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Her leg seemed a little better today. I feel good that we are watching it for a little longer. This forum has been so helpful! I was buying her insulin and needles at cvs until I read here to try Walmart. It's a third of the price I was paying!

I have not tested her bg at home. We do check her urine. This whole process has been so overwhelming so i have been bringing her to the vet for testing. She's hard to give the shots and I haven't had the courage to start blood testing.

I'm also trying to figure out a plan for a time when we might not be home.

Thanks for your all your help!

Comment

I was just thinking Ida's lab, Baby, had surgery for a torn ligament in the knee in May if you want to read through some of their experience: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...?t=3522&page=7
            Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

How is Cooper doing?
              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Question about needles

Hello, I'm new to the group and so appreciate the info I have gotten so far! Cooper is on Humulin n 4 units 2 x a day and thanks to the forum I found out I could get it at Walmart for much less than cvs.

I went today to get new needles. She was prescribed bd 3/10 12.7 mm 30g needles which I had been getting at cvs. Walmart was out (they will have them tomorrow) but they did have Relion 3/10 30 gauge but 8mm. I realize they are not that much smaller but does this make a difference for her? I am unable to test her at home yet ( she is just now taking the shots without a fuss after 4 mos - but it takes 2 of us). The vet has been wonderful and feels we are finally getting her regulated so I don't want to make any changes that she doesn't need however the Walmart needles were so much less!

She still is not using her back leg and we go for a follow on August 27th. I feel she will need surgery for the ligament but still want to give her some time.

Thank you all for your help!

Comment

I just posted a new thread with a question about needles. I wasn't sure if I asked here or started new??

Anyway... She is still limping alot. We try to carry her as much as we can and she does use it when she goes up the stairs we have for her chair and to the bed. I really think she will need the surgery but the vet didn't want to rush into it since she has been through so much the last few months.

Comment

Re: Question about needles

I use the Relion ones on Tiggy and like the shorter needle. With that small of a change in needle length you probably won't see a difference at all

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Mpollww View Post

I went today to get new needles. She was prescribed bd 3/10 12.7 mm 30g needles which I had been getting at cvs. Walmart was out (they will have them tomorrow) but they did have Relion 3/10 30 gauge but 8mm.
                      No problem for most of us using the short 8mm syringes. I use 3/10, 8mm; either 30 or 31g needles from Walmart. I'm thinking the only time I might want the longer needles is if the fur / hair was very thick?
                      Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Are you sure your area requires a prescription for syringes? Think that's a local requirement in only a few areas, not needed in Oregon.
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

When we started the emergency vet gave us a prescription but Walmart said we didn't need one - for either the needles or the insulin. She's a min pin and doesn't have much fur so I don't think that would be a factor. I think I'll give them a try. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Mpollww View Post
                            I just posted a new thread with a question about needles. I wasn't sure if I asked here or started new??
                            I'll try to copy / move your question about syringes here. No problem, but nice to keeps your questions together. (hope I remember how to move posts)

Comment

Hello again, just when I thought things were quieting down, I think Cooper had an accident on our bed tonight. My husband had laid down for a rest before going to work and Cooper went with him. I just Now noticed that there is a wet spot on the bedspread. He doesn't think it was her, but he could sleep through anything.

I'm concerned that while we are trying to keep her off her leg as much as possible, we aren't doing her diabetes any good by not excercising her. I am trying to get the courage to start home testing but haven't yet. Is this a sign that her bg is up? She was recently tested for uti and it was negative. Our next app with the vet is in 2 weeks.

This is such a roller coaster!

Comment

Working...
                              X