Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Daisy's Story

Quote:
if the problem started after stopping the antibiotics i would think theres still an infection.
blood tests will solve that.
They checked her and her infection was gone. No Cushings, no UTI, which was what she was on antibiotics for.

But.......
I thought, nothing is working, I'll try splitting her dose. I gave her 3.5u (3/4 of her food)at 6a then 1u at 8a (1/4 of her food). She started coming down. I have a 4 day weekend so I can keep a real close eye on her and yesterday she ran in the mid 200's then down to 150-200 for most of the day, then this evening she was 140 fasting. I haven't used any R in 2 days.

We're getting there..... I hope.
Daisy- 8 yo Mini Schnauzer; 21.8 lb; dx 1/20/17; 3.5 units Novolin N every 12 hours; 1/2 c Hills Healthy Weight, 1/2 c Ruby Stewbie, 2 tbs brown rice, 1 tsp pumpkin, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vinegar each meal.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:18 PM

I think we're on the right track.

Fasting bs has been 124-258 for the past couple of days on 3.5 units Novolin N q 12 h. No more R, no splitting the dose.

She's eating 1/2 c Hills Healthy Weight, 1/2 c Stewbie, 2 tbs brown rice and 1 tsp pumpkin.

I'm holding my breath, but instead of an increase, she needed a decrease in insulin.

Weather permitting, I'll do a curve on Saturday.
Daisy- 8 yo Mini Schnauzer; 21.8 lb; dx 1/20/17; 3.5 units Novolin N every 12 hours; 1/2 c Hills Healthy Weight, 1/2 c Ruby Stewbie, 2 tbs brown rice, 1 tsp pumpkin, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vinegar each meal.
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM

Well, the 3.5 every twelve hours didn't work for long. I tried different dog food combinations, giving her brown rice, pumpkin, dog food, Stewbie, a mixture of both, a snack in the afternoon, nothing was working. Fasting numbers high 500-600. Nadir in the 100-200's.

So......I think I found something that did remembering what Mike said about her insulin running out.

I feed her at 6am 1/4 cup Hills Healthy Weight and 3/4 cup Stewbie (If I give her any more Hills her numbers go through the roof), half a vitamin and a tsp. vinegar with her 2.5 units N.

At 7-7:15a she gets 4 green beans and 1.5 units N. This pulls us through enough until 6pm feeding. At 6p she gets fed with 2.5 units N, we go for our walk then at 7-715p she get her 4 green beans and 1.5 units N.

If I give her any food or a treat with the second injection (1.5 units) she skyrockets and is up in the 500-600's at fasting.

Her nadir yesterday was 110, staying in the mid 100's until almost 5p, then up to 270 at 6p. The fact that she's under 300 at fasting is a miracle.

My question: How long is too long after eating to give her the second reduced dose (a little over 1/3 of her insulin for the feeding) of insulin with her green beans? I would like to try and wait 1 1/2 hours for the second dose instead of 1-1:15 hours to try and stretch her out of the high 200's at fasting.

On another positive note- Daisy withstood 80mph gusts. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
Founding Member

sometimes you just have to think out side of the box to attain your goals. thats what we had to do with jesse

wow those were some big swings i seen that with jesse early in her diagnosis

hope this works for daisy
jesse-26 lbs - 12 years old - 7 years diabetic - one meal a day partially raw and homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number