Best food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best food?

So Yoda is our 12 year old doxie who was just diagnosed with diabetes the week after Christmas. He seems to be leveling out now with his numbers however, we are having some feeding issues. After his diagnosis, we switched him over (slowly over about a week) to the Royal Canine Glycobalance dry food from the food that he was eating which was a high fiber food for overweight dogs. He didn't like the dry Glycobalance at all, so we added some wet Glycobalance, he seemed to like the wet, however he still wasn't loving the dry.

Last weekend after reluctantly eating his meal, he threw up everything after I gave him his insulin (2 units, 2X daily). I didn't have a glucometer at the time so I took him to the emergency vet just to check him out and take a reading. He was registering about 270, which was good because his original diagnosis number was around 600 and the curve we had done before he hadn't gone below 430. Anyway, they gave him some fluids, and a shot for vomiting, sent him home and that night I gave him a light dinner, but not the glycobalance dry, just his old food and some of the glycobalance wet, with 1/2 dose of insulin, he was fine.

So over the course of the week, we have removed the glycobalance dry totally and are giving him a mixture of his old food and the glycobalance wet, he eats it no problem, and was doing great all week, no more vomiting, no excessive drinking or peeing.

Fast forward to yesterday, he began the day ok, ate his meal but over the course of the day developed diarrhea. Brought him into the vet and he seems fine except for the diarrhea, fecal came back negative. vet gave him probiotic and antibiotic sent us home. (his bc at the vet was about 360 last meal was in the am). We fed him his usual dinner, insulin. He vomited up dinner and continued with the diarrhea until he went to bed.

He slept through the night, no problems, this morning at 6:15 went out more diarrhea. This morning we decided to just give him boiled white meat chicken and some brown rice, tested his sugar - 347 - gave him his insulin, he seems fine right now, 4 hours no diarrhea no vomiting.

So my questions are - Has anyone had any experience with the prescription foods? Are they usually tolerated well? Should we keep trying even though he's thrown up twice on them?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the best diet to give? He is very thin (he lost a lot of weight in the last couple of months) and I want to make sure I'm giving him the best diet possible.

I see that a lot of people in this forum make their own food for their dogs, how do I know he's getting everything he needs?

I'm sorry that this is such a lengthy post, but I just wanted you all to get the whole picture, I do appreciate any suggestions regarding diet. Thanks in advance!
    Also - Aside from vomiting and diarrhea he really doesn't seem to be in any sort of distress, no pain, panting, swelling etc..so we really think it's a diet problem.

Re: Best food?

hi and welcome

the one thing i find odd with diabetic dogs brought to a vet for digestive issues that many dont do the simple test for pancreatitis which is a complication for diabetic dogs . yes there can be many reasons for digestive issues but pancreatitis can develop into a big problem . i know my jesse had a serious case

hard to say if its the food thats giving the problem . the switch back could have caused some upset you just dont know . for me if jesse is having issues i may just fast her for 24 hours or give her a reduced meal

jesse is on a homemade diet and it was nothing i found i just developed it on my own and it was a process until we got what we are looking for . if your dog is healthy good fur and stools they are probably getting balance in there diet .

if a food is a struggle to feed day in day out its maybe a good idea for a change but remember a change in diet could create a change in regulation
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi and welcome!

Jesse girl makes a good point. The first thing vets should do when a diabetic dog experiences digestive issues is to rule out pancreatitis. Our vet uses the in office SNAP cPL test. The results are confirmed within 30 minutes.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

I agree with jessegirl, insist your vet do the proper pancreatitis test. If it's positive, then feeding any food is probably making it worse.
        Also, I've read mixed research on probiotics and pancreatitis. My dog had pancreatitis once badly, soon after his diabetes diagnosis, so I took him off his probiotic.

As for diet, moderate protein and fiber, good carbs, and low fat is always recommended. Many vets like to recommend the prescription foods, and many dogs will eat them and do OK, but there are many commercial foods with good ingredients that have similar ratios of fat/fiber/protein/carbs to the prescription foods.
        Do some research and compare numbers.

Also compare ingredients of his old food with the Glyco. Could be one new ingredient that is causing the sickness. I discovered my dog was allergic or sensitive to turkey. Lots of commercial foods sneak it in the ingredients, so I had to be careful choosing his food.
        Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeMurphy View Post
          Hi and welcome!

Jesse girl makes a good point. The first thing vets should do when a diabetic dog experiences digestive issues is to rule out pancreatitis. Our vet uses the in office SNAP cPL test. The results are confirmed within 30 minutes.
          Hi and thank you for your replies.
          A couple more questions: What are they symptoms of pancreatitis? I thought they would be much worse. He isn't exhibiting any pain or discomfort.

How would they treat pancreatitits?

Thank you in advance

Comment

When my dog had pancreatitis she was in severe pain. She hurt so much she trembled with it. And she was vomiting

The doctor gave us cerenia I think it settles their stomach and pain pills
            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

My Lily had one bout with pancreatitis a few years ago. Her symptoms were eating grass, vomiting and abdominal pain.

She was treated with Cerenia for the vomiting and a pain medication. We rested her pancreas by slowly feeding tiny amounts of boiled chicken breast and brown rice, but only if she wanted to eat. It took about a week for her to recover and then we started her on a moderate protein, low fat diet. So far so good... she has not had a reoccurrence.

Here’s a good, if not long, article...

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/ne...t-21579-1.html
              Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
              Diabetes: Aug 2013
              Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
              Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Thank you all for your responses, judging by his comfort level I don't believe we are dealing with pancreatitits. He isn't exhibiting any other symptoms, so that is a relief.
                So far so good today, no more diarrhea, he is sleeping a lot, comfortably, but not surprising as yesterday was a rough day. I will keep him on chicken and brown rice or barley for a bit until he has a normal bowl movement I think then maybe start to gradually add back his food. Any other advice is welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzimom11 View Post
                  Thank you all for your responses, judging by his comfort level I don't believe we are dealing with pancreatitits. He isn't exhibiting any other symptoms, so that is a relief.
                  So far so good today, no more diarrhea, he is sleeping a lot, comfortably, but not surprising as yesterday was a rough day. I will keep him on chicken and brown rice or barley for a bit until he has a normal bowl movement I think then maybe start to gradually add back his food. Any other advice is welcome!
                  When Annie had diarrhea, or vomit, episodes I’d give a doggie probiotic to regrow the good tummy bacteria.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Fortif...dog+probiotics

There are less expensive probiotics, but Annie liked the taste of the FortiFlora brand. I alternated between several brands, but if she seemed to be picky eating, I’d grab the FortiFlora. She weighed 18 pounds, so I gave ½ packet usually sprinkled on her breakfast.

Craig
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

there was a member on here who's name was decker and actually showed no physical symptoms . the only problem they had has was erratic blood sugar

did the test at the vets and came back positive . i think many times it could be just a little flare up of the pancreas and got better and you would have never known . the problem is when it gets more acute and the classic symptoms appear

glad your pup appears to be on the mend and hope to see continued progress

another big help that most on the forum do is home testing blood sugar . lots of info on the site . ask questions if you like
                    Last edited by jesse girl; 01-20-2018, 02:57 PM.
                    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzimom11 View Post

I see that a lot of people in this forum make their own food for their dogs, how do I know he's getting everything he needs?

)
                      Hi there,
                      Regarding the people that make their own food for their dogs...I´m one of them. Long story short: Rocco wouldn´t eat the prescribed food so I ended up doing some research (because my vet wouldn´t help suggesting what I should feed him) and came up with a diet I´m very satisfied, as Rocco quickly started gaining back his lost weight, never has left a bit of food on his plate, and his coat is back to shinning! I feed him boiled chicken breast (skinless), quinoa or brown rice and spinach and chard (both boiled). You can watch him eating it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcFae3-NcVc and here´s a video of me making his food: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmVM3S6zajo
                      I had to figure out the right amount on my own...but very happy with results. Keep us updated!
                      Check my YouTube channel: Dog Diabetes
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyF..._as=subscriber

Comment

There's some good doggie vitamins, I've been using Balance It and I've also heard Nupro is very good for home cooking. I've never tried the Nupro but I do know the Balance It has not had an impact on her glucose levels. If you do home cook, weigh out each ingredient for consistency. I made that mistake with Ruby Stewbie, making a full batch and then measuring and it didn't work out real well for us.
                        Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies.
                          Yoda seems to be doing much better, we are keeping him a diet of chicken, brown rice or barley and adding in some of his original diet food, this combination seems to working well for him. As time goes on we will add other things like veggies and maybe some fish oil. He goes for his next curve tomorrow, so we will see how he's doing!

Comment

Originally posted by Daisydog10 View Post
                            There's some good doggie vitamins, I've been using Balance It and I've also heard Nupro is very good for home cooking. I've never tried the Nupro but I do know the Balance It has not had an impact on her glucose levels. If you do home cook, weigh out each ingredient for consistency. I made that mistake with Ruby Stewbie, making a full batch and then measuring and it didn't work out real well for us.
                            Hi Daisydog10- I was looking at what you feed her and was wondering if that is once a day or twice a day? Thanks.

Comment

That's her meal every 12 hours and I add the vitamins to each meal.

Glad to hear things are better!!!
                              Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Working...
                              X