No announcement yet.

Angel Mochi December 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Thought I got his blood sugar regulated....

well if i did a major change on every one of jesses inconsistencies i would be chasing her tail all the time around in circles

now what i have done is when she has a change to the higher side i will correct her higher sugar with a fast or short acting insulin to correct it . I do have to be careful because one day its great the next it could cause her to go low

what i uses the fast acting as something to buy time until she gets back on the horse ( that would be a sight ) and remove the fast acting when she returns back to normal but its a balancing act

i think for jesse when changes pop up i think something has changed within the body and blood sugar reflects that. Sometimes i can tell by just her stool color and consistency which tells me we are in for a change to the higher side or lower side
    Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
    Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

just to add changing nph insulin to novolin n under the relion name with Walmart from humulin maybe worth looking at as a try

They are basically the same insulin but we have had members say they had better results with one or the other
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

I’m not understanding how to make a new post on this site? It’s confusing!! My Maltipoo is at the vet today having her first curve! She’s been on Vetsulin for a month up to 9 units this Am and she’s 1) lbs Ann not budging from 500 glucose! I can’t stop crying! Please help??

Comment

Do you start a fresh vial of Humulin-N every 30 - 45 days?

Craig
          Last edited by CraigM; 02-07-2018, 01:19 PM.
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Yes we do use a new bottle every month-month an a half. We also keep it refrigerated.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how his sugar just goes high after remaining stable last week...

He did get a allergy shot..could that have been the reason to put his blood sugar down and then up again?

The insulin should work since his blood sugar was back down last week..just doing quite a bit of detective work trying to figure out why this is happening...
            Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
            Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
            Had cataract surgery June 2016.
            On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I sometimes think those of us with very small dogs have more difficulty than the larger dogs. I’d think tiny changes to insulin dosage, meals, exercise, weight, etc. would affect our little guys more than the Big Boys / Big Girls. I’d also guess the smaller blood supply in small dogs would possibly make things less stable??

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Well, lets look at the suspects for a sustained significant increase in b/g:

• bad insulin?

• The allergy shot?

• infection?

• change in food?

My guess is infection.
                Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I’ve been keeping track of his blood sugar and it seemed to have dropped a bit yesterday and today it seemed to have gotten back to the good numbers.

However..I’m not sure if these numbers are ok..seems to be fluctuating a lot.
                  My Dad usually is the one to give him his insulin and food since he only works 3 hours a day so I’m not sure if it’s because of my dad’s inconsistency that’s causing it or something else..

Today I was sick at home so I took his blood sugar at 12pm-8pm every 2 hours.

12pm-285(6hours after insulin shot)
                  2pm-241
                  4pm-174
                  6pm-204(fed him right and gave insulin after the test)
                  8pm-185

Anyone have any input on his numbers?
                  I know these numbers are all really good but I’m not sure if this is what it’s suppose to look like on a curve?...seems like most dogs are high fastings and low middle of the day
                  Last edited by Lchow022; 02-09-2018, 12:31 AM.
                  On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

thats kind of where you want to be . not in that very tight lower range and not in that higher range . kind of in the middle

i believe diabetic dogs do better in a range like this maintaining that level .

i would try to keep everything consistent and no changes unless numbers got to low

Comment

I think those numbers are great. Everybody always wants the numbers to be perfect but perfection day in and day out is impossible. When you think about what a complex process it is to duplicate how the body naturally regulates blood sugar, it is amazing that we are able to get close on a regular basis. I think the numbers are also safe, which should ease your mind some.
                      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you for letting me know! I feel a bit relieved now knowing I can get his sugar back down.

However...his blood sugar seems to be even lower today...I’m getting a little scared it’s too low.

At 6pm - 171
                        8pm-107

What if it keeps dropping?! Should I give him a bit of food?!
                        On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I think it is what your level of comfort is and where the 107 is in his cycle. If he hasn’t reached his normal nadir, then for your comfort, you might want to give a small snack.

Maggie frequently was around the 100’s and even high 90’s but I had her with me always so I felt I knew what her tendencies were. But, if it was bedtime and I checked her and she was around 100 or lower, I made sure that she got a snack. My bedtime was usually 4 hours post meal and insulin and I knew she may drop for 2-3 hours before leveling out.

The hardest part was always whether I would get too heavy handed with the snack.
                          Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Thank you Amy for getting back to me.

Mochi’s numbers are at a good range but still random..I just checked his sugar again and it went back up to 147. I can’t tell when it drops or goes up...I just know he is usually at his lowest between 4-8pm.

should I not give him as much insulin tomorrow? It was at a really good range yesterday..today’s numbers are good too but lower than yesterday’s.
                            On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

I would stay the course but monitor him. You never know if there was just a random reason why he was lower or if it is really a trend. It wasn’t dangerously low and actually a good number. But, if it repeats itself again, you might want to drop a half unit for cushion or count on a small targeted snack.

Some dogs do fine with people adjusting insulin reacting to numbers. Maggie was always sensitive to any change in dose. So, if I reacted by reducing, her numbers might go up drastically. I found it easier to feed the lower numbers. For some dogs, that wouldn’t work but did for us.

Comment

• Help needed..blood sugar is going crazy

Hi all..

I'm having concerns for Mochi's blood sugars again... Last week seemed fine and his blood sugar was stable throughout the day. His numbers were great ranging from 240-100.. Then I took it again Saturday and it has spiked pretty high again at 12. It was at 439.. But it kept dropping lower and lower and at 6pm before food it was at 99. This morning I just checked and it was 531...the number seem really really high and I'm starting to worry.
                                We’ve been consistent and I can’t wrap my head around this...

It was perfectly fine for a week and now it’s crazy again..should he switch to a faster acting insulin?

He also had an allergy shot last month and I’m wondering if it could be the allergy shot wearing off...

. I’m getting more and more frustrated..it’s been such a rollercoaster the past few months..and it’s concerning me more and more..one week stable and then not..
                                On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

Working...
                                X