Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Hershey

Hi there!
I have a YouTube channel about diabetes in dogs.....in Spanish. Anyway, one of the videos was about human meters vs pet meters, and I happened to find several studies to help me decide which meter I should get: those studies are in English though!!!! . IŽll leave you the links to the studies, so you have a better idea of accuracy in each case. For me I got the Advocate PetTest and the Contour Next EZ. They provide similar results, to be honest. Here are the links: http://sites.bu.edu/bionicpancreas/f...chnol-2016.pdf, http://www.dugganvet.ie/productsvet/...-AT2-Meter.pdf, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4895580/
Hope you get one soon and star home testing

Last edited by martorso; 02-13-2018 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Aclaration
Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 PM

Thank you Martoso. It didn't make much sense to me and already ordered the easy touch and will have to figure out the rest when it arrives Thursday. At least until I do I will see a pattern which should help by itself. I hope.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 AM

I understand the vets confusion. I am really concerned for my fur baby now more then ever. Here are the curve results:

13 Nov after being on vetsulin 17 units twice a day for 1 week
8:50 153
11:10 243
13:00 338
15:00 228

20 Nov after increased to 18 units for 2 weeks
9:00 313
11:30 281
14:00 270
16:00 206

5 Jan after increase to 20 units and due to Holidays was for 6 weeks
9:15 328
11:50 408
14:15 412
16:15 358

26 Jan after increase to 23 units for 3 weeks (this was where he got concerned he was going wrong direction.
9:00 445
11:00 462
13:00 483
16:00 391

9 Feb after last curve dropped back to 17 units for 2 weeks
9:00 509
11:00 570
13:00 588
15:00 490

Currently on 19 and next curve is 1 Mar.

HELP.

In all cases she ate and had her insulin between 0730 and 800

Last edited by Phyllis Diot; 02-15-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Curve looked best at 17 units. As numbers got worse as insulin increased, why did the vet keep increasing?

What is the dog's weight?
Riley, 7 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 8.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:09 PM
Founding Member

I agree with raysaint and would not have raised the dose after the curve with a 153 as a low and would have held at 17 units for maybe a month and see how things settle

We have seen it time and time again if a dog is getting to much insulin a dog can show higher numbers and resistance to insulin . Now you think by raising the dose will solve this but it can be the opposite with numbers going higher .maybe there is a point in time they go lower but you may not catch that period

If this is what is occurring it can be difficult finding your way back to a dose thats appropriate . You could go back to !7 units but its possible the body could be out of whack for sometime if the dose was to much and it could take awhile to settle at 17 units

if a situation enters a crisis situation at higher numbers and showing ketones you may have to apply a short or fast acting insulin to buy time
jesse-26 lbs - 13 years old - 8 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 02-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Well before all this started she was 86, now she is a mere 69. On last visit to vet when he bumped it back up to 19 after the roller coaster ride and dropping back to 17 only for 2 weeks he said we may have to give her a ton of insulin. But now seeing how they have continued to go up with each insulin increase I am scared to take her back.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Was looking for perfect numbers he said
Old 02-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyllis Diot View Post
Was looking for perfect numbers he said
Thats not a good philosophy . I asked jesses original vet what kind of regulation we were looking for and he grabbed a book and read the page and said normal blood sugar . Just that one comment delayed jesses regulation for months till i figured what he said was just not possible
jesse-26 lbs - 13 years old - 8 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 02-15-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
I asked jesses original vet what kind of regulation we were looking for and he grabbed a book and read the page and said normal blood sugar . Just that one comment delayed jesses regulation for months till i figured what he said was just not possible
What do you mean by this? Do you just mean don’t aim for perfect/normal with a diabetic dog and instead just aim for safe/relatively healthy zones?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:18 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo View Post
What do you mean by this? Do you just mean don’t aim for perfect/normal with a diabetic dog and instead just aim for safe/relatively healthy zones?
Yes . We know now dogs can do perfectly fine with regulation within 150 to 250 . I have seen dogs on the forum have regulation much higher and lived 5 years with the disease and most die of other things or old age but not tied directly to diabetes

Some vets still dont realize attaining perfection is setting you up for failure . I have only saw one dog on the forum that had what looked like normal blood sugar and my jesse has her moments .

Now this doesnt mean you dont try for the best possible sugar and stability you can . It just says its not mandatory . I think all individual caretakers discovers what regulation is for there dogs and situations . Some may like to stay a bit higher because they live on a farm and there dog runs around allot . Every situation is different for each dog and care taker . The goal is to have a happy healthy dogs life with some limitations