Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Answers - Archive of helpful posts from the forum > Insulin

Insulin Kinds of insulin, action profiles, use in dogs, where to buy, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Founding Moderator

Default Re: Insulin Information

http://www.globalrph.com/insulin_tables.htm

Global RPH-Pharmacokinetic profiles and Mixing Data
Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 AM

Default Re: New: Virgil, 10 yr/old Jack Russell

Thank you guys so much for your replies! I'm learning so much!

Another question...

I dropped a brand new (only took 9 units out of it) 10mL bottle of vetsulin on the floor this morning. The bottle didn't break, and there were bubbles in it when I picked it up. Can I still use it? or do I toss it? I really hate to waste $40! One website I read this morning said it was ok if you let it settle again (letting the air escape the solution) but because of the slow release mechanism I'm not sure if it would still be ok to use. Link to website.

BTW, I was rolling it when it dropped (so I hadn't pulled out this morning's dosage) and was really glad that I still had some left in an older bottle in the fridge. Thanks to the board I knew to keep extra on hand! THANK YOU!

I will have hubby pick up a new bottle on his way home from work just encase its not a good idea to keep using it. I'm also going to put a call into the vet and ask.

Thanks guys!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Founding Moderator

Jennifer,

As the site said, I think things will be fine but here's Intervet's toll free number. There's someone there who you can ask:

800-224-5318 Companion Animal (Dogs, Cats, Horses)
Normal business hours are 8:30 am to 5:00 pm EST.

http://www.vetsulin.com/dog-owner/faq.aspx

This page covers freezing insulin and leaving it out of the fridge; you might suggest they include information about a dropped, unbroken vial in these FAQ's.

Kathy
Old 06-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks Kathy I just called and left a message for the Vetsulin people. Thanks for the phone number. I will post what they say.

Jennifer
Old 06-22-2009, 01:58 PM

I just got the phone call from Intervet and Kristine said that dropping it once shouldn't hurt it, to make sure there are no bubbles before injection, and as long as the bottle wasn't damage the product should work like its supposed to. She was super nice and very helpful.

Thanks Kathy!