Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Just got one high number after weeks of being regulated...

I would not be as concerned about cushings. At this stage of diabetes(not regulated), the chances of getting a false positive for cushings is pretty high. It can really be damaging to treat for cushings if the dog doesn't have it. Plus, you need to see if you can get the diabetes under control before you attacked the cushings. Now, thyroid is a little different - tests are relatively cheap, accurate and the treatment is a pill. If you suspect thyroid, it might be worth the test. Since cushings tests aren't reliable in unregulated dogs, you might wait and see.

The freestyle strips do work in the Alphatrack but I do not have experience with it. Craig can maybe chime in with the proper way to code for the strips.

Also, try to relax a bit. I know it is hard but the ups and downs are part of this process - keep in mind that many dogs never even get in the lower ranges on a regular basis and still do fine. You are doing great!

Last edited by amydunn19; 04-19-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 PM

Thank you Amy for your input. I am definitely concerned if he has hyperthyroid or Cushings. He's showing no signs of anything though. Still super energetic and consistently the same. Unless his blood sugars high..then I can tell he gets tired a lot faster.

I came home today and played fetch with him for 15 minutes and he wouldn't stop. I checked his blood sugars right before feeding and it was at 311. I found that weird because he usually gets tired faster and would want to stop and rest. I fed him at 6:30pm and gave him his normal dose of insulin. I took him and my other dog for a walk and played fetch again for another 20 minutes right after. I just checked his blood sugars at 8:30pm and it dropped down to 142.

Is that a good/notmal thing that it dropped back down to 142 after only two hours of getting his insulin?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:08 PM
Founding Member

exercise can have a big affect on blood sugar . if insulin is active it can drop sugar quite a bit . my jesse could drop a 100 points just chewing on a bone

the walk and play may have caused the lower reading

another thing you would like to be consistent with a certain time of day and same amount

now exercise can spike sugar if insulin is weak or used up

my jesse has 2 points in a day she gets exercise

so testing blood sugar before and after exercise can be helpful
jesse-26 lbs - 12 years old - 7 years diabetic - one meal a day partially raw and homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-20-2017, 08:54 PM

I found that every time I thought I had this figured out, Maggie would do something crazy. I think it does matter at what point you do exercise them but so many things go into the equation. The more you test, you learn what works and what doesn't. I had to be really careful with Maggie. A bath would drop her 150-200 points. I had to send snacks to her groomer or she would be 40 after getting groomed.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 PM

Wow...I never thought it would be this complicated... I try to keep him at the same schedules Monday-Fridays and then Saturday and Sunday it would be a little different. But I would try and walk him the same distance and play fetch with him the same.

I realized that I'm able to keep his blood sugars more stable when it's just me at home taking care of him. When my dads with them it seems to get out of hand because my dad will not listen and break rules and he's the main caretaker of the dogs since he is retired.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:27 AM

We have had members who were in the same boat as far as another person not being as strict with them as they were. If you can ever convince them that the dog will be just as happy with a diabetic safe treat or on a regular routine, you can win the battle. I think especially with pancreatitis, you can see where one little extra fatty treat can put them at the emergency vet in terrible pain. Even if it is not that extreme, just sticking to the program will keep them from getting as many infections and stable blood sugar just makes them feel better. It is hard. I had to threaten people who wanted to give Maggie something she couldn't have and it is surprising how many people think denying her some fatty treat or table food was depriving her.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:52 AM

Unhappy Re: Just got one high number after weeks of being regulated...

So even exercising too much can cause a spike or a drop in sugar? What if they're more energetic one day and not as energetic the other?

Oh boy I have question about insulin now...i was half asleep yesterday and accidently left the insulin out until I got home from work yesterday. It was left out for more than 12 hours and I quickly put it back in the fridge...is it still good?! I wasted two bottles already by dropping it on the floor I hope this ones salvageable.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Founding Member

i have seen my jesse energetic when she was high and lethargic same with being low but if she is out of sorts i will test her

i have left out insulin many times and even dropped it on occasion and haven't seen any change in quality
jesse-26 lbs - 12 years old - 7 years diabetic - one meal a day partially raw and homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-21-2017, 09:23 AM

I'm diabetic and I leave my Lantus insulin out at room temperature the whole time. I do it before bed so it sits in my bathroom. Still works.
I have a vial of my short acting insulin in my desk at work, use it every day, still works.
Refrigeration preserves the shelf life of the insulin. I keep unopened vials in the fridge.
Riley, 6 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, also has hypothyroid (being treated starting in April), had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 8.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, or green beans to his food.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:07 AM

Thank you guys for the information on insulin! Should I not put it back in the fridge then since its been left out for so long? I know it's good for another 28 days if left out. Will it change the insulin if i keep leaving it in and out of the fridge like that?