Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Ricky

I know he won't sleep much, if any, on the ride, so I might talk to the vet and ask about a little doggie Valium to help him relax. I know the last long car trip we took with him was before his diagnosis, and he was so freaked out, we had a hard time even getting him to tinkle outside the vehicle. (Don't ask. It's been a long time ago. ) Since then, we have taken short trips (four or five hours), and he has done a great job.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksma View Post
I know he won't sleep much, if any, on the ride, so I might talk to the vet and ask about a little doggie Valium to help him relax. I know the last long car trip we took with him was before his diagnosis, and he was so freaked out, we had a hard time even getting him to tinkle outside the vehicle. (Don't ask. It's been a long time ago. ) Since then, we have taken short trips (four or five hours), and he has done a great job.
when we took our dog on a trip the vet told me to give him one bendyral and it would help him sleep...so that is an idea..
sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...
Old 04-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Founding Member

I remember Patty had the most organized list in the history of the world!

I did a 15 hour trip with my 2 poodles over a year ago. I had insulin, syrup, and water in a small cooler. Pre-measured meals in another cooler. And loads of syringes and test strips.

My non-diabetic dog is annoying in the car. There were some type of drops Tammi had recommended we got off of Amazon that I think helped him. I'll look at lunch for the name.

I also bought a big doggy car seat with harnesses to attach to seat belts. That way frantic boy was right next to my shoulder and it seemed to keep him calm.

2 dogs are missing in Fargo from January. Their owners were in car accidents, dogs were thrown and spotted running away from the scene. Owners were taken to the hospital and by the time they got out they can't find their dogs. Gruesome I know but a good reminder.

Good luck! Our trip went surprisingly well. Jenny was fine getting tested and injected in the back of the car
Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 AM
Founding Member

Yes, Judi, that is what I am going to have to do with Rick. We will be leaving very early in the morning, well before his breakfast time, so I will have to feed and inject on the way. I imagine by the time we get to Texas, Ricky and I will both be a little ragged, but as long as he is good, I'm good.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Every time I traveled with Maggie, she seemed to enjoy it immensely but she would always run lower. The change in routine was very exciting, I guess. Happy Travels!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi View Post
My non-diabetic dog is annoying in the car. There were some type of drops Tammi had recommended we got off of Amazon that I think helped him. I'll look at lunch for the name.
Remedy Rescue may be the ones. I use to give those to Abby for Thunderstorms, and they seemed to help.

Good luck on your trip. We took Abby quite a few different places, as I never let her diabetes stop us from traveling. She did very well, and I know she loved to go. She slept most of the time, but I remember shots/food along the way. I used the Frio bags to keep the insulin the right temperature, and it lasted about 36 hours without any cooler.

One other handy item was a needle cutter (purchased at walmart and it would hold about 100 needle nibs), that way I could disgard the needles in the trash, and no need to worry on how to dispose of them.

Have a nice trip.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Founding Member

thank you! Rescue Remedy that's it. It did seem to calm Ranger down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby's Mom View Post
Remedy Rescue may be the ones. I use to give those to Abby for Thunderstorms, and they seemed to help.

Good luck on your trip. We took Abby quite a few different places, as I never let her diabetes stop us from traveling. She did very well, and I know she loved to go. She slept most of the time, but I remember shots/food along the way. I used the Frio bags to keep the insulin the right temperature, and it lasted about 36 hours without any cooler.

One other handy item was a needle cutter (purchased at walmart and it would hold about 100 needle nibs), that way I could disgard the needles in the trash, and no need to worry on how to dispose of them.

Have a nice trip.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:17 PM

We've driven from Utah to Texas and back a couple of times and learned some things the hard way. I know every dog is different, but I've found that when he's in a car, Jeb's numbers generally go down if he's awake and up if he's sleeping. He loves traveling and stays awake most of the time, so I test a lot and give him extra snacks to keep him stable. Another thing that affects him is that his exercise is such a different type than normal. At home I take him for fairly long walks when his blood sugar is rising after eating and it's part of our everyday plan. When we're traveling, it's short walks but more frequent and not based just on his numbers but also on our need for gas, food, etc. Which reminds me - my husband was a little upset one time that we couldn't stop at a restaurant because it would have been too hot for Jeb in the car - you might not have that problem in the spring, but it would be good to have extra snacks for yourself too. We also found a non-spill water bowl at an RV store.

Have a great trip and be safe!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:25 PM

Last month we drove non stop 25 hours with Jake and Jazzy. I did as many did here. Pre measured food into individual bags. Water bottles. I was surprised they drank more water than usual. Insulin, meter, strips, etc. in a separate insulated bag. I had another container with all their medicine. I think their stuff took up more space than ours! I also worried about the dogs getting away from us so I made sure their collars had our cell phone number and for Jake that he was diabetic and needed insulin.

Jake
13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016
Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Teresa!! Long time no see Soo glad to hear Ricky is still doing well. Your Ricky Ricardo was diagnosed about a year before my Ali-girl. Unfortunately she passed from a brain tumor in Oct '12 at age 13.

I did a search for some of my traveling posts that had pictures. Here are 2:
http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4399
http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/show...ter#post116760

Like Jeb, Ali would drop with activity on trips but her bg would rise if she was still and sleeping more. Was a challenge on long trips for us to manage her diabetes and routine. But she was a fragile diabetic. On the personality side, she was a great traveler and adapted so well to our many moves/changes.

Great to hear from you,
Patty