Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Ideas on how to get nishka to eat

Sherry was talking about a medicine she used with Fred for appetite. If I can't find it, I will pm her and get the name of it.

Edited: The drug is mirtezepine.

Last edited by amydunn19; 04-04-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:18 PM

I used ground turkey and ground chicken when Josie got home from the hospital - they told me chicken and rice. Then when I introduced food back, I mixed it half and half with the ground stuff. He seemed to like it more than bland chicken breast. Good luck!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM
Founding Member

Could he have an upset tummy? some dogs have taken an antacid type thing. I'm not home but I know the drug they gave Jenny for pancreatitis is the same as one of those that they told me to keep in the house.

drawing a blank. ugh
Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 PM

#1 Mirtazapine is a prescription medication which has strong appetite stimulating and anti-nausea effects in dogs. I've been taking care of many sick dogs, one of them has an enlarged weak heart plus weaken kidneys that eventually caused him nauseous and refuse to eat. The medication worked wonder.

#2 Give Quaker Life Cereal a try, original flavor. I've also had sick dogs who would not eat anything. Frustrated as I was, I tried everything in the kitchen. And the Quaker Life Cereal is the one and only winner. I don't know the reason. And that dog survived on just the cereal for one and half years till he slowly picked back up the health.

Last edited by Nan's Pups; 04-04-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan's Pups View Post
#1 Mirtazapine is a prescription medication which has strong appetite stimulating and anti-nausea effects in dogs. I've been taking care of many sick dogs, one of them has an enlarged weak heart plus weaken kidneys that eventually caused him nauseous and refuse to eat. The medication worked wonder.

#2 Give Quaker Life Cereal a try, original flavor. I've also had sick dogs who would not eat anything. Frustrated as I was, I tried everything in the kitchen. And the Quaker Life Cereal is the one and only winner. I don't know the reason. And that dog survived on just the cereal for one and half years till he slowly picked back up the health.
that stuff was amazing i would ask the vet for it..and its pretty cheap to...
sherryandfred.. in memory of fred he was a rat terrier that lived life with diabetes for 4 years and being blind for most of his life..he finally crossed the bridge on april 2, 2014 and will be missed greatly...
Old 04-05-2014, 04:55 AM

I'm fortunate that Vinny will eat anything so I've not had to too his food or coax him. Poor thing, she probably feels awful and who wants to eat when they feel awful. . Have you tried going back to the food she was on prior to diagnosis? Like Judi said, as long as they eat, it doesn't matter what right now.

Good luck, Vinny would love cottage cheese or parmesan. You've been given a lot of ideas here. Hope something works for you!
Mel
Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 AM
Founding Member

Not sure if anyone else has done this, but in the early days with Ricky, when he just refused to eat, I would hand feed him some baby food meat. I know it sounds gross, but he lapped up the chicken, and once he got a taste for food, and I could inject, he felt so much better. Might be worth a try.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM

Thanks every one i am beyond frustrated so far i have tried almost everything in the kitchen.. my daughter has the patients to get her to lap up some of the concoctions, she drinks water instead of eating i am gonna call the vet and see if she knows of the prescription that Nans pups suggested and also try the cereal. ground turkey chicken breast baby food has not worked nor will she consider the food she used to love...what a messed up situation. Maybe she dosent like the injections or somthing but i have not been able to give meds for three days...ughhhhhh she looks like she has a lot of life left in her just wish she would eat!!!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Founding Member

my jesse eats one meal a day . yes it is unusual but it has worked for jesse for almost 4 years and she has pretty good regulation .

it is an option if you can get your pup to eat at least one meal a day

ask if you want more information
Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Pepcid AC is what I think Judi may have been referencing. There is a SPEC cPL blood draw test that will test for pancreatitis. If the lack of eating continues it may be something to ask your vet about.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!