Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Griffin... New to this and stressed out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
What is his liver issue, and what is the treatment plan? I have a friend with a non diabetic Westie who is throwing off similar #'s. Thanks.
Basically his liver has been damaged because of his diabetes... its a little bit enlarged but seeing that what now appears to be signs of diabetes were taken as something else we arenít sure how long he has had it so his liver has been compromised... itís not bad, itís just taking a little longer to respond to the treatment plan, he was only diagnosed in October and we are now in January so he is going in the right direction and everything else is responding well to treatment itís just this is taking longer than the others... we have also taken out the internal flee treatment he was on which we donít think helped it at all... he has samylin 2 times a day and he has a liver booster shot every 6 weeks to boost the liver function... we are also going to discuss adding milk thistle in as well to help him as well... apparently it is hard to stabilise a liver on a normal healthy dog so it will take longer on a dog with diabetes...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Griffin... New to this and stressed out...

What a lovely update about Griffin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emz.buckley View Post
Hello,

Sorry I havenít updated but I have been sick over the holidays, it was lovely, but I hope everyone had a good festive period and a happy new year!

Griffinís result came back and they were good... his cholesterol was down and nearly back to normal, his pancreas is nearly back to normal and one of the liver results had gone down again but the other two had gone up by a couple of points... but the vet was happy with the results, she thinks the liver may take longer to stabilise than she hoped but she is not concerned because his liver points are at 400 and she has seen them at over 2000 so she is happy... and we are relieved, lol!

He has adapted to the new dose well... he has had his moments when he has looked for food or looked at us hopefully but he is getting better at it... he has been very good recently but there are days when he falls back into old habits and it does stress me out because we are working so hard to get things level and he tries to get into things he shouldnít and you just think, I am trying to save your life here stop trying to screw it up! But he is doing ok...

My question is, he is due for his injections this month, do they affect the diabetes? I just want to check before we book him in for them...
Old 07-31-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Heat and Diabetes...

Quick question...

Does the heat we are experiencing in the UK have any affect on diabetes? Griffin has been stable through most of the heatwave, we have made sure he drinks enough and he has been solid blue the entire time... he really enjoyed the cold weather over the weekend but now the weather has changed and itís gone back up, he was a little unstable on his feet and seemed to be sleeping a lot... I was wondering if the change in the weather has caught him out or if he is something to be worried about... he isnít off his food, there has been no really change in his behaviour than him sleeping more today and he was a little unstable on his walk...
Old 07-31-2018, 11:04 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Heat and Diabetes...

Hi and welcome

heat for a dog thats not acclimated to it is going to be difficult for the dog .

We live in the desert and heat is the norm in the summer . I bring a gallon of water on jesses walks and put water on her body and give drinks if she wants

she can handle quite high temps probably because she is use to it

Now heat will make dogs more lethargic because activity makes them feel hotter so they rest and thats what i presume is going on with your dog

As far as blood sugar for jesse i would say she runs a bit lower in the hotter months but i am just speculating on that
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 07-31-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse girl View Post
Hi and welcome

heat for a dog thats not acclimated to it is going to be difficult for the dog .

We live in the desert and heat is the norm in the summer . I bring a gallon of water on jesses walks and put water on her body and give drinks if she wants

she can handle quite high temps probably because she is use to it

Now heat will make dogs more lethargic because activity makes them feel hotter so they rest and thats what i presume is going on with your dog

As far as blood sugar for jesse i would say she runs a bit lower in the hotter months but i am just speculating on that
He has been more quiet during this heat wave and we are making sure he is drinking a lot of water, giving him cool baths and he has a cooler jacket on him most of the time but over the weekend he hasnít really needed it so with the temps going back up, I wonder if it caught him out and he just feels a bit ugh...

I just wanted to check because iím Kinda freaking out here, lol!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:35 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
He has been more quiet during this heat wave and we are making sure he is drinking a lot of water, giving him cool baths and he has a cooler jacket on him most of the time but over the weekend he hasnít really needed it so with the temps going back up, I wonder if it caught him out and he just feels a bit ugh...

I just wanted to check because iím Kinda freaking out here, lol!
If he felt ok with the cooler pattern that may give you the answer that he is just struggling with the heat and it may not be anything more than that

Sounds like you are giving him great care
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 08-01-2018, 06:11 AM

Lots of humans struggle with heat, and I'm sure dogs too. Nothing to worry about. Heat doesn't usually affect blood sugar, except during exercise, the body may use a bit more of its sugar in the heat.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:34 AM

My vet actually said the heat can make them run higher. Itís not uncommon to have to adjust doses with season changes, but youíd want to do testing before you make any changes. Iíve recently made some small increases to Lucyís dose. We live in AZ and weíve had temps around 110-115 lately. It also just makes her more lethargic overall. Even she knows itís too hot to do anything.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:21 PM

So...

We took griff to the vets today just to be checked out and she did his urine sample and his blood sugars were normal and his kidneys were fine... she believes itís the heat that is making his blood sugar too low because he is using things up much quicker in the heat... so we have to watch him, if it happens again we give him some honey and if he perks back up, we know that his blood sugar is too low... if not, we have to take him in and she will do a blood test just to check the levels... but she thinks because it went cold and then hot, that it has thrown his body out of kileter and he is feeling it a bit...

I swear to god I am getting paranoid and hysterical over everything... he twitches and I am stressed out, lol!
Old 08-01-2018, 05:33 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
So...

We took griff to the vets today just to be checked out and she did his urine sample and his blood sugars were normal and his kidneys were fine... she believes itís the heat that is making his blood sugar too low because he is using things up much quicker in the heat... so we have to watch him, if it happens again we give him some honey and if he perks back up, we know that his blood sugar is too low... if not, we have to take him in and she will do a blood test just to check the levels... but she thinks because it went cold and then hot, that it has thrown his body out of kileter and he is feeling it a bit...

I swear to god I am getting paranoid and hysterical over everything... he twitches and I am stressed out, lol!
We do get that way with our diabetic dogs . Not sure if your testing blood sugar at home but if not i would recommend as it will give you some peace knowing what your dogs blood sugar is with no guessing