Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 PM

Default Re: has anyone tried fibre additives?

I've been adding 1 tsp of Metamucil to each of tiggys meals now for 1 year.... She won't eat ANY veggies mixed in with her food. She is much more regular, her glands don't fill as often, nd it has absolutely no negative impact on her BG.

After putting her wet food in the bowl, I add the metamucil, put a little water in and mix it up. I then mix in her chicken and pasta. Her meals are not soup consistency

Sandy
Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Edit: one thing that worries me about adding this stuff on top of the pumpkin which we introduced last week, is that it can have an impact on oral meds and our dog is currently on phosphorus binders (1 1/2 tablets with meals) so I'm worried they won't work as effectively. I did ask the vet but he suggested we just use pumpkin - didn't really go into it too much as we had other issues to discuss at the time.
So if you had a dog that was only getting insulin would you recommend using BOTH pumpkin and the Konsyl all Natural? Or would it be better to just use one or the other?
Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg
Old 06-01-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I'll really have to check out the local health stores to find some sugar free flaxmeal or psylium additive as the metamucil has sucrose in it so I never ended up giving it to our dog.

Metamucil Smooth Texture Sugar-Free Regular Flavor and Metamucil capsules contains no sugar and no artificial sweeteners
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM
Founding Member

I used Benefiber for Buddy. It was from the supermarket or chemist depending on who had the best price. It mixed into the food really well with no taste so it worked for us.

Our supermarkets usually carry the plain Psylium Husks in the health sections.

Jenny
Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 AM

So it looks like anyone who uses either the Konsyl all Natural or the Sugar Free Metamucil sprinkles about a teaspoon on food and mixes it with a little water. Am I right?

Does this take the place of pumpkin as added fiber or would you also feed the pumpkin too?
Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg
Old 06-10-2012, 10:43 AM

i use both 1oz pumpkin and 1/2 tsp equate fiber additive sugar free add a little water

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 06-10-2012, 04:06 PM

I have used unflavoured Benefibre powder, 1 teaspoon in a little yoghurt mixed with food once per day on a regular basis and have found it really worked tremendously well keeping her bg readings stable and also she seemed to be fuller for longer.
Penny - 11yrs, 20lbs; diagnosed diabetic 01/04/10; Insulin - Levemir 2units x 2 per day. Feeding Natures Variety Beef or Lamb Raw Medallions and Mince and/or Chicken with Brown Rice, Green Beans and a little Benefibre mixed with yoghurt.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr789 View Post
Does this take the place of pumpkin as added fiber or would you also feed the pumpkin too?
Keep the pumpkin. I use 3 tbs per meal. I looked up Metamucil and it does not report any grams of dietary fiber at all. I use natural flax seed meal, 2 tbs per meal mixed with the pumpkin and that has 4 grams of dietary fiber. I believe this helps my dog Watson very well as he was a bit constipated on the high protein food I switched him to when he was diagnosed, and since putting him on pumpkin and flax meal, before I feed him the kibbles, he has no issues with constipation and has very good stool movement and his stool is consistent all the time. I will make the argument for natural over processed material anytime.

Another benefit is low cost. I go to the health food store and buy in bulk and it is pretty inexpensive, about $3 for a pound, which is much less expensive than Metamucil or Konsyl.

But keep the pumpkin. My dog loves it. Just make sure you get the 100% pumpkin and not the pie filling pumpkin. About $3 for the large can at Walmart.
Watson: 11 year old Lab mix. Diagnosed 4/5/2012. - Went up on Dose 8/10/12 to 18 U Humulin N 2 x day. Diet: Horizon Legacy, freeze dried "Stella and Chewy's," - Separately prepared food 3 tbs of butternut squash puree mixed with 2.5 tsp 4Life Transfer Factor supplement, Flaxseed Meal, steamed broccoli and green beans.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM

Have to say that I do love the metamucil and it's effects on both Hank's stool and his bgs. But I think you need to try things and see what works for your dog since as we all know....every dog is different! LOL Let us know what you try and how it works for you..is always great to experiment!