Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Arrow Re: Otis won't eat his breakfast ....

I know how worrying this is, Bill. Hope Otis eats his dinner! I agree about giving 1/4 the usual dose.

Sat, 12 Mar 2011 12:05:53 (PST)
Old 03-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Otis won't eat his breakfast ....

Bill is the Benadryl you're using the pink ultratabs? That's what I use with Ali too.

I found out the dye free gel caps have sorbitol in them which can accumulate in the eyes and potentially perpetuate cataract development. So I'd steer clear of those.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Bill is the Benadryl you're using the pink ultratabs? That's what I use with Ali too.
Yes ... Costco is the place to buy them, 400 for $3.19!

Well he finally started to eat. I guess the bits of food I "force fed" him primed the pump. Around 5:30 he walked out to the kitchen and found the dish I left on the floor with a few pieces of ckicken and ate. I immediately fed him ... and, we're back on track now.

He just devoured breakfast, so I guess we're "good to go" today.

Thanks for your inputs and concern.

Used to be, I was "concerned" whenever he didn't eat. Now, with the diabetes in the equation ... it's panic mode if he doesn't eat. Man, this disease brings much more into play!
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Wow...that's a good deal. I don't venture into Costco often but will keep that in mind this summer if we need them again.

Great news...back on track.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Costco is the place to buy them, 400 for $3.19!
Could this be a typo?....I looked at Costco today and the ones I saw were $13.XX

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Last edited by eileen; 03-13-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen View Post
Quote:
Costco is the place to buy them, 400 for $3.19!
Could this be a typo?....I looked at Costco today and the ones I saw were $13.XX
Dunno ... It's $3.19 for a bottle of 400 25mg tabs at my Costco. You may have looked at Benadryl, rather than Costco's Kirkland generic brand.
Diphenhydramine HCI 25 Mg - Kirkland Brand - Allergy Medicine and Antihistamine Compare to Active Ingredient of Benadrylģ Allergy Generic - 400 Count
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:44 AM

Yep, that's what I did, I looked at Benedryl because that is what was mentioned in the 'ongoing' conversation.

I can understand the Kirkland brand being this cheaper cost as I have always purchased store brands in the past, usually Walmart's Equate brand which is also a great deal.

Thanks, I didn't think beyond name brand Benedryl.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen View Post
Yep, that's what I did, I looked at Benedryl because that is what was mentioned in the 'ongoing' conversation.

I can understand the Kirkland brand being this cheaper cost as I have always purchased store brands in the past, usually Walmart's Equate brand which is also a great deal.

Thanks, I didn't think beyond name brand Benedryl.
This "generic" benadryl was quite an eye opener for me. Initially I was buying Walgreen's "generic" benedryl, and thought I was getting a good deal. Think it was about $5.99 for 48 of them. Then one day in Walmart I took a look at their Equate brand ... WOW, whatta deal 100 for $4.00.

Told a neighbor (dog walking bud) about my "find" at Walmart ... She checked at Costco, and found 400 for the $3.19. I'm not a member there ... so, she's been buying it for me.

Pays to shop around!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanks so much, I too thought I was getting such a god deal buying Walmart's Equate brand but I'll certainly get the Kirkland brand next time.
I use other Kirkland brand meds, certainly wasn't thinking at full capacity yesterday.
;-)

I'm usually the 'Queen' of finding the best deals...this one slid by me!

With allergy season coming my dogs really use them, Mildred especially.

Sometimes I'll take one to help me sleep, only 1 takes the edge off which helps so much.

Thanks again.

Last edited by eileen; 03-14-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM

Default Otis back from Doc Bob's

Took Otis to the vet to check is eyes, a "tag" on his chin & for the vet to get a sample for a fructamine test.

A couple of tidbits of good news ...
  • Blood sugar was 228, which is much lower than any other test taken at the vet's office! ("normal day" - ate @6:00am & got his shot right after). The blood was tested @ ~9:30am. ... His lowest prior to this was 329, taken on a day I took him in because he hadn't eaten anything. Both his BG curves were in either the high 300's or low 400's.
  • Asked Doc about increasing his dose, and he said we'll base that on the results of the fructamine test.
  • Doc confirmed the only reason Otis vision is impaired is the cataracts that have formed. Great news ... because once he's adequately regulated we can look at getting his vision restored. ... At least we've got a chance!
That's all from Cordova.