Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Otis Farrell July 24, 1999 - October 4, 2013 RIP

It sounds like you have figured it out, Bill! He communicated with you "ouch" - you listened and now you appear to be on the same page, right? It's not still happening? I am sure it's incredibly tough to not compare Sonny to Otis.

You have a huge heart taking on another diabetic - let alone a rescue with, I'm certain, plenty of baggage. You are a saint! Keep up the good work and love.

T & S
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Ditto what Tami said Bill!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:23 AM

Let me tell about my experience with my diabetic schnauzer Jojo.
I have had him since he was about 8 weeks old. He was affectionate and a happy dog.
When he was about 1 year old, every time i touched his rear end, even to apply baby powder he would rip my hands apart. I mean multilple puncture wounds.
He has sort of a shelf there that sometimes make his poop stick to him and not fall. I never hurt him. I started having the vet techs shave the area to remove it.
I could hug him, pick him up and do anything else with no problem.
Then came the diabetes and I had no problem with giving him shots and even gave him subq fluids with a really large needle.
Along the way i started to try to touch his rear and to my suprise, there was no problem and he let me do it.
now he lets me do anything and everything to him. He is my shadow and never leaves my side (yes i have tripped over him many times lol)
I don't know how long you have had Sonny but maybe rub the area where you want to give him the shot and get him used to you touching the area.
If he was abused, he may not trust anyone yet. I don't think you are hurting him but he is nipping out of fear.
her
I also have another dog who will scream if I so much as come anywhere her with a nail clipper.

Mary but

Last edited by JoJo's mom; 10-06-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:33 AM

Bless you for continuing to foster Sonny and for working through his challenges with him.

Had to take Kinser to the vet a few weeks back. His allergies have caused him to try to chew his front foot off. Saw a new vet in the practice. He muzzled Kinser. Poor old man, 13.5 years old and he's never been muzzled. Vet made a good call as I'm pretty certain due to the soreness of the wound, Kinser would have bit the vet while he was trying to evaluate it. Once he was done the muzzle came off and Kinser's tail was wagging once again.

Took Toby the next day as he had green goop ozzing out of his eyes. Same vet came in, sat down and put his hand out for Toby to sniff. Toby's fur stood up and he started growling at him. Vet got some treats, Toby ate them, then went right back to being cautious around him (growling stopped). We've had Toby since he was 8 weeks and he absolutely LOVES John, but for some reason he is very cautious around men in general. Vet tech came in (female) and he was all wiggles around her. Some times you really do wish they could explain to you what goes on in their mind.
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:19 PM
Administrator

A whole year... 365 days of missing Otis. It's such a shock to realize.

Regarding the syringes and Sonny, we noticed a BIG difference in shot comfort between the 31 gauge and 29 gauge syringes. The needles on the 29s are a lot larger.

Could he be having a problem with his teeth?

Some other medical conditions, like hypogthyroid can also cause them to become aggressive.

A good behaviorist might be helpful just for even a single consult. S/he could read his body language in situations where he's been snappy to see if he seems to be afraid or in pain.

Our adopted dog didn't start to show fear aggression until after he had been with us for a while. Paradoxically, his getting comfortable was what allowed him to stop "stuffing" his fear and start to show how afraid he was my being reactive.

We did several consults with a behaviorist and also took him to group classes, but ultimately the behaviorist suggested anti-anxiety medication for him (Prozac) because he seemed to have a biological 24/7 level of anxiety. The medication was a HUGE help for him, along with relieving some back pain.

Glad Sonny's with you - he couldn't ask for a better person to care for him.

Natalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrwf View Post
Sonny's still here and will likely be a foster failure. Had a couple of situations with him which made me take a second look at the deal.

A couple of months ago he began to growl when I would give him his shot. Didn't think much of it because one of his quirks is at little "rattling" type growl when he tries to get my attention. He has his tail wagging when he does that, though. Then, he snapped at me a couple times during the shot process, ... after the growl didn't stop me. I was astounded. In over 14 years Otis never growled or snapped, ... not one time. This happened when I ran out of my 31 gauge syringes and was using the 29 gauge the rescue brought when they dropped him off at my house. Once I got more 31's the growling at shot time stopped.

Talked to the people at the rescue about it and was told the previous owners told them he would growl when he didn't feel well. That was the second significant thing the rescue "forgot" to tell me about Sonny. They also told me he was "regulated" when he came to stay with me, ... the vets said he was never regulated until he was with me. He was on 5 Units when he arrived, drinking water and urinating like a maniac. He's at 9 Units now, and seems to be doing much better. Last curve he was in the mid to low 200'a. He was in the high 400's when he arrived.

So, ... I really don't know what to make of his growling and snapping. He's a loving little guy, ... after he's growled and snapped at me, he'll come up a few minutes later and lick my leg and want to be right next to me??? He'd been fine for quite a while until I was going to clean the skin fold over his nose and I got the growl / snap. I walked away from that episode, and a few minutes later he was licking my leg again wanting to be recognized. I have a feeling there is much more to his history which I don't know.

He went "unadopted" for quite a long time apparently because no one wanted to deal with a diabetic dog. He was the best looking pug, by far, they had available for adoption, but others were being taken all around him. I'm going to give him as much room as I can because he does need someone in his corner, and outside of that situation, he's great.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:28 PM

Bill,

Bless you for taking in another diabetic pup. Sounds like the poor guy has been around the block a few times. Probably trying to get his point across, but then is sorry for snapping at you, knowing what a good soul you are, and knowing this is probably the best place he possibly could be... in your home.

I can not believe it has been a year without Otis. Sadden to know that this place has lost another good pup.

Thinking of you.
Barb
Old 10-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

While I'm a few days late Bill...thinking of you on the anniversary of Otis' passing. I know Ali's always makes me pause at all that she was in my life and how much her sweet soul touched everything I did.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Aw Bill, can't believe it has been a yr. already for Otis.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart
Old 07-24-2015, 06:14 AM

Remembering Otis. Today would have been Otis' 16th birthday!

Always missing you, little one, until we're together again.
Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dadís loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:15 AM
Founding Member

yes bill its nice to reflect on otis special day and how close you 2 are
Jesse-26 lbs - 15.5 years old - 10 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number