Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Default Re: Abby Diagnosed about 4 weeks ago

Harrys Mom: I only had her on Trilostane for 2 days, but her ACTH test was 26 (I believe the high range is 22). She has now been off of Trilostane for 3 days, until my Vet gets back tomorrow. I am very prepared to talk with her, thanks for everyone on this forum. We did not do the U Tenn Adrenal panel, which is something that I am going to request. The other concern I had is that they started her with 30 mg 1x a day. So, another reason why I had my doubts to continue, and my vet was away for the week.

Her only sympton for Cushings is increase thirst (but I believe this is related to her BG, because when they are under 400, her intake is normal). No skin issues. She did have a potbelly, but that is gone now with the weight loss. Of course her liver enzymes were high, but they were in fact lower last time we check without any therapy. Her hair grows fast and is a beautiful coat. I groom her, and I typically have to give her a cut every 4 weeks. She is hungry, and she has lost some weight. This could also be related to the Diabetes. When she was normal for those few weeks, and we were giving her a low dose of insulin, she did not have any symptons. In fact everyone comments how well she looks. I am not saying that she does not have cushings, but all the symptons go away when she has normal BG levels, which makes me think why put her through the Trilostane, unless we can not get her regulated.

I have been pricking away (this is a joke of course)... I have found that her levels are the following today:

6:30 am 475
10:30 am 325
2:30 pm 345

I will be testing again in a few hours. Abby doesn't seem to mind, that boil chicken works like a charm. I have removed the sweet potatoes and carrots from her diet, and hopefully we will see better numbers with more greens and meat. I will switch to Fish Oil (mercury free), as well thanks for the heads up. Craig, I was wasting strips because I thought I had enough blood, when I didn't.

Carol, thanks for the all the advice. I will be on the look out for the 21 gauge lancets, and will use the warm paper towel to see if this helps any. I do put some aloe on the site afterward, just so she doesn't get too sore.

Both Abby and I can be very impatient, and I can't believe that we have been learning so much patience lately.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Abby's Mom; 06-19-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:26 PM

30mg is WAY too much starting dosage for a small dog weighing 20 lbs - esp when the ACTH did not find that much elevated cortisol, and Abby did not show much symptoms. In Harry's case, hunger was really out of control - esp since he used to be a very very picky eater. He was continually finding things to eat on our walks (poop, insects, everything in sight) - he was constantly picking up stomach bugs as a result.
In addition, after each ultrasound, his tummy hair took about six months to grow back. Since Trilostane, he is getting his hair back, and hair does grow back quickly.

Last edited by HarrysMom; 06-19-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Founding Member

maybe you might want to determine the low point of the day the low point of the day is some where between 10:30 and 2:30 you might want o test every hour until you see a rise above the low point it is a nice thing to know when numbers are in a lower range the action of insulin is very consistent with my jesse and she usually rises at the same time if that has changed it has usually been the insulin loosing potency or she may have picked up a snack some where along the way
Old 06-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Arrow Re: Abby Diagnosed about 4 weeks ago

Barb! You have EARNED your k9diabetes Patience Hat!

Here it is:

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/album.ph...&pictureid=765

GREAT work. Abby has earned her k9diabetes Patient's Hat! Here it is:

http://www.coherentdog.org/tidberries5.php

GREAT work, Abby!

I like the Aloe Vera idea!
Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:27:34 (PDT)
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 AM

Thank you Carol.... that reward was greatly appreciated.

I will be testing again today, but I am pleased with how the numbers are going.

I am giving her 4 units now (all last week she was on 3), and we are starting at 334 this morning, when yesterday at this time we were at 475. So, I am hoping that her low point will be below 200 today. I will test every 2-3 hrs, but will see if I can test a little more between 10:30 and 2:30. JesseGirl, I noticed yesterday that Abby's low point was somewhere between 12:30 and 3:30. She was 332 at 12:30 and 259 at 3:30, and back up at 284 at 9:30 last evening. I only gave her 3.5 units last night because we were going out for the evening.

Thanks everyone... I'll let you know what the vet suggests when I talk with her.

Harry's Mom: It is good to know that you can control both the Cushings and the Diabetes. I am hoping that we can shelf the Cushings for now, and I feel better with her BG numbers. I can't believe that Harry was eating bugs and everything else outside. I walk Abby without a leash in our neighborhood, so she would definitely have the opportunity to eat most things, but she doesn't seem to have that sympton (again when the BG's are getting closer to 200), she seems to have a normal appetite. She always had a good one.

One other concern I have is that from my readings is that cataracts is inevitable, and most dogs do go blind. Is this my assumption, or do you find that if you can control the diabetes, that the cataracts are slow in growing, or is it a given that she will go blind. She does have the beginnings of cataracts now. Some days her eyes look clear, and others they look cloudy ( when her BG levels are high, they are cloudy and when low they are clear). Anything preventive I can do?

I can not thank everyone enough, and I feel better knowing that you are out there, and I have the meter and I feel I am more in control in what is going on.

Last edited by Abby's Mom; 06-20-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 AM

With the clouding of the eyes, there is also an aging condiiton called lenticular sclerosis (hardening of eye lenses) - this does not really impact vision, but eyes will look clouded. The only sure way to distinguish this condition from cataracts is to look into the lenses with a special scope.
Our vets sent us to an opthalmologist to get our dog's eyes evaluated.

Also, I don't think Abby has a raging case of Cushing's, and most Cushings folks recommend NOT treating a dog unless a dog has obvious symptoms (Abby does not seem to) - it could be that you caught it early. If Abby's BGs become erratic, and you can't control the numbers, then you might seriously consider Cushing's route. However, her numbers are looking really good, so you may not need to do this for a while.

Last edited by HarrysMom; 06-20-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 AM

Hi there,

My $.02 - it's very important to stick with a dose for at least a week - so if you are going to give 4, then stick with it. Also keep detailed records of food, behavior, BG readings etc. This will all help with making a decision after doing a full curve (in a week or so) - whether or not to keep it the same, raise or decrease.

You are doing great!

Tami, Syd and Soaph
Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Don't forget you can move in smaller 1/2 unit increments as well if needed.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 AM

I do keep a log, and have from the time she was diagnosed, and I have kept tracked of her diet, exercise and activity level. Thanks to reading this forum several weeks ago, I started to use this protocol for gaining some great insight from all the wonderful people on this forum.

Today her levels have been:
6:30am 334 Ate/Insulin
11:00am 383
2:00 pm 304

Yesterday's numbers were:
6:30 am 475 Ate/Insulin
10:30 am 321
12:30pm 332
3:30 pm 259

So I am hoping that I will be able to determine her low number around 5:00 pm.

I do have a question, and that is when I read the 2:00 pm number, I thought I would go outside and also check to see if she has any glucose in her urine, and the test strip was negative. Typically this reading is about 6 hrs old (if I am correct), so this would mean that this morning, I perhaps should not have had such a high BG reading. How accureate are those glucose test strips, and at what point does the BG level spill into the urine?

I have yet to see if my meter is regulated with the vets, as I just got in on Saturday, but I would have anticipated that I should have gotten a positive reading with the numbers that I am seeing.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

The renal threshold for glucose is approximately 180 mg/dL.
Unfortunately the urine strips aren't always real accurate. Interesting that her reading was negative. Could be a number of things...faulty strip, not enough urine penetrated, dilute urine if she's going frequently. Hard to say.